PDA

View Full Version : Slalom cutting problem

AustinSkier
05-30-2009, 06:29 PM
Anyone know how to correct or get past a wobble coming across the wake. When I make my cut I hit the first wake and land with a slight wobble, then coming over the second wake it seems like my ski is turning slightly in the air making it wobble a little when I land. Maybe I needed to be using my legs more like shocks and bend as I hit the wakes so that I stay more in the water? It's not like I'm jumping the wake, but I do get some air. I usually ski around 34 mph and come across the wake in a matter of seconds, but the wobble makes me think I'm about to eat it and then it throws me off.

Mikey
05-30-2009, 11:12 PM
Does this happen cutting both sides? If so i'd say yes you need to absorb a little of the wake trying to stay on edge cutting through the wake avoiding getting air. If its just one side it could still be a leg issue ie you or maybe something is up with the fin otherwise.Fin bent, crooked who knows have a look. I'm kinda leaning towards your skiing style as i know once i get tired i start getting air right a way and its time to quit and rest up. Skiing hard is Hard work.

Sled491
06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
You need to add more detail. type of ski, fin setting, cheater or not. Is this a new problem or an old one you want to work on? Did you do something with your style, did you change length of rope, type of boat etc.

After that the opinions will come pouring in trust me:)

AustinSkier
06-03-2009, 03:21 PM
i have a new connely concept. i haven't touched the settings, kept them as they came. i ski behind my outback, and a friends tige. rope length is only one length off, so whatever that comes to. i don't think it's a new problem, it's just that i've noticed it more because i'm trying to go harder. i'm willing to guess it's my ski style and form and i'm doing something wrong.

one thing i've noticed is that i start to slow up approaching the wake. good or bad? do you just blow on through and keep digging? seems like if i just keep going hard through the wake, that's when i start getting wobbly as i'm coming off each wake.

just curious....what is cheater or not sled? i've never heard that term.

thank you both for replying.

Sled491
06-03-2009, 05:42 PM
Cheater is a small wing on the fin. It helps drive the ski into the water and keeps the tail planted so it won't wash out so much. Many skiis come stock with them now, and if you have one make sure it is set correctly or it will really throw you off.

Form, opinions vary, but you should be driving to the second wake, when or where you will begin your deacceleration and initiate your turn. Body set up and position coming into the wake and accross the back of the boat are key. Comming out of the turn heading back to the boat you'll be reaching or have the rope back in both hands. You key is to pull low to your hips. As you begin to cross, your legs should be slightly bent and ready to absorb. Now on this some may disagree and I have friends who stay rigid across the first wake. These are bigger, very strong skiers, skiing at 36mph, usually 22 off. At the 1st wake on this we can agree, your shoulders should be sqaure to the stern of the boat and your lower body going the direction of the ski which should be as perpendicular to the boat as you can handle.

My guess is that it is somewhere in the end of the 1st turn to technique over the wake and across the back of the boat your missing one of these key elements. I'm guessing not pulling handle low to inside hip, but you would have a better idea than me after this.

BensonWdby
06-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Sounds like style issues:

Check out this link

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.j...categoryID=116

AustinSkier
06-04-2009, 11:13 AM
sled, that's pretty spot on. thanks for the info. i need to take some lesson. i've been skiing for 10 years and have just done what feels right, but in the end it's all wrong.

the ski does have a cheater fin which i don't like at all. it's taking some time getting used to it.

AustinSkier
06-04-2009, 11:31 AM
Sounds like style issues:

Check out this link

http://www.waterskimag.com/article.j...categoryID=116

i checked out the video on cutting through the wake. i need to stay on edge through both wakes. i'm slowing up which i shouldn't be doing at all.

thanks to all for the tips and help.

Sled491
06-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Anything to keep skiing alive. Too many people give up and go the easy route. Skiing is work and a great work out. Stick with it and you'll really dig it:)

maxpower220
06-04-2009, 05:36 PM
sled, the ski does have a cheater fin which i don't like at all. it's taking some time getting used to it.

I would be very surprised if you can tell that the wing is on the ski. The wing is there to help the ski decelerate after the second wake. If you are feeling the effects of the wing, check it's angle on the ski. It may have been set up wrong or at the wrong angle. If it is bothering you, take it off completely.

Sled491
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM
I agree, I couldn't ski without it, but at the same time I don't know its there.

BensonWdby
06-04-2009, 07:22 PM
Typical wing setting is about 9 degrees. however, as mentioned, if you are not holding your lean through the first wake you probably are not going fast enough in the pre-turn to worry about needing a wing...