PDA

View Full Version : Wakeplate Gauge doesn't read

helix_rider
05-29-2009, 07:32 PM
I thought my wake plate quit working, but after some out of water testing, it looks like the plate is fine, but the gauge is not functioning properly. I still have to test the plate in the water under external pressure...but am hoping it is a simple electronics bug now.

My question is how to diagnose the exact problem. The extent of my knowledge was to make sure that the connections weren't loose. They were tight. The gauge will momentarily 'spike' as I'm lowering/raising the plate, but then fall back to the 'down' position...even if the plate is up.

Any guidance out there?

tazz3069
05-29-2009, 09:04 PM
I had the sme problem with mine. My service guy told me that all the wires were fine. They said nothing else. I am wondering if the hydraulic fluid is low in the reservoir. That might affect the reading. I am not really sure. I just got mine back from the dealership and need to check to see if it works now. When I saw that it was not working, I tapped the glass a few times and the needle stopped jumping around.
Tazz

Reese350
05-30-2009, 01:46 AM
I had the exact problem. The wires are spliced coming out of the gauge. I cut and re-crimped those and it has worked flawlessly ever since. A couple other on here have done the same. Might be worth a try.

mmandley
05-30-2009, 08:07 AM
Yea the gauge is going to be an electric signal. The plate is hydralic but you would have to have a hydralic line all the way to the dash to make it work then. There is a sending unit at the wake plate that reads the pressure and turns that into an electrical signal.

Id check the connections as Reese said. If that doesnt work then you need to trace the wires to the back of the boat and check the connections there.

If that doesnt work and all the wires Ohm out good then the sending unit is probly the problem.

helix_rider
05-31-2009, 08:06 PM
So the plate worked great today, but the gauge had a mind of its own. Read down in the begnining, then 'up' halfway though the morning...then 1/2 as we finished up. We had it set somewhere around 2/3 - 3/4 for most of the day (its actually amazing how little the plate actually moves and what a drastic difference it makes. Looking at it with goggles on took awhile to see the subtle changes)

Anyway, looked at the wires connected to gauge when I got home...there are about 20 wires all around that area, wrapped up together and then plastic strapped together...how in the world do you trace them? It was a nightmare...the gauge right next to it (depth) has the same colored wires running out of it too. Did you guys have a trick?

Reese350
05-31-2009, 09:29 PM
I just snipped a couple ties to free up some of the birds nest of wires. Made it much easier to find the ones connected to the gauge. Just be careful not to damage any of the other wires and create a bigger problem than you started with. I don't remember it being too bad after removing some of the wire ties.

Good luck!