PDA

View Full Version : Working on the Outback surf wake

kaneboats
05-29-2009, 03:45 PM
Don't have it dialed in yet but made some progress. My two brothers hadn't wakesurfed before but the one in the picture has some surfing experience. He caught on real fast for a goofy guy (he can actually go either way). My brother's in the first picture and me in the second one -- on the Flint River on Wed this week.

mmandley
05-29-2009, 06:59 PM
HAHAH love the beer in your hand Kane

kaneboats
05-30-2009, 11:50 AM
Part of the research process.

moombadaze
05-31-2009, 02:35 PM
Looks like your getting a good wave. and that river looks a little full too.

love the beer research

kaneboats
06-01-2009, 10:10 AM
It's very full. My favorite beach (with the rope swing) is almost completely under water right now.

Sled491
06-01-2009, 09:26 PM
KB what's your set up?

jasonwm
06-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Not bad at all! That's especially impressive that your brother was able to get in there heelside without much trouble. Most of the experienced riders we go out with would refuse to ride unless we moved the weight over to the other side of the boat.

What was your weight setup?

kaneboats
06-02-2009, 09:54 AM
My 3 bags are ancient and kind of rounded so I'm not sure exactly what size they are. I think they are each about 360#. I put one of them in the rear storage locker, one across the floor behind the engine in front of the rear seat but pulled all the way to the port side and one lenghtwise next to the engine. I then put a 225# guy right on the rear seat with his back to the port side. It's getting pretty close. I'd be afraid to put any more in the rear storage locker but might add a little more along the side or maybe a few passengers up front. It's definitely surfable the way it is so it's just minor adjustments from here.

Looking at this picture from back in March I think it's getting better.

mmandley
06-02-2009, 03:54 PM
Yea i can see a huge difference in the wave from march till now.

Sled491
06-02-2009, 05:27 PM
So how do you fit a bag in the rear locker? Is it different than the locker on my 07?

kaneboats
06-03-2009, 10:45 AM
Just looked at p.59 of your owners manual. It looks like your boat has the back seat that goes into the "up" position and you can put a bag underneath the seat. On mine, the seat cannot be moved up and the fuel tank sits under the seat. But, the rear locker is huge. I can store my 3 empty ballast bags, 2 pumps and a wakeboard in there all at once. It's like a trunk.

Sled491
06-03-2009, 11:52 AM
Got it! I would love to have the best of both worlds though. The bag under the raised rear seat still spills out onto the walkway and looks and is kind of sloppy. IMHO

kaneboats
06-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, my seat is wide open but the bag takes up the entire walkway. Still, because I can get 3 bags total in there I can make a big ole wake. I think I just need to add another one somewhere, probably forward a little.

Sled491
06-03-2009, 05:27 PM
My guess would be right on the floor of the bow where it is glass only and no carpet. But watch out for the water over the bow that's for sure

mmandley
06-03-2009, 09:09 PM
Water over the bow? OMG i had 2 people sitting in my Bow a few weeks about probably pushing the 250 each area lol. If we turned the boat and a roller came we took huge amounts of water over the bow unless we powered threw it lol.

My bilge pump was working over time that day lol.

Waynes345
06-03-2009, 09:13 PM
Water over the bow? OMG i had 2 people sitting in my Bow a few weeks about probably pushing the 250 each area lol. If we turned the boat and a roller came we took huge amounts of water over the bow unless we powered threw it lol.

My bilge pump was working over time that day lol.

You'll learn how to avoid it after a while. On the other hand, if somebody is bugging you, you can seat them in the right place and learn to drench them as well.

Sled491
06-03-2009, 09:54 PM
Yep water over the bow prevention should be taught as a 1/2credit college course:) I'm proud to say I have passed that class with flyiing colors!

mmandley
06-04-2009, 08:14 AM
Ohh i learned pretty fast to hit the power just as we crossed the first roller. Claudia on the other had didnt learn so fast and she was soaking the people and the boat. Good thing nothing in storage was needing to stay dry LOL

She took a wave so big over the bow she actualy thought she was going to sink the boat. I laughed at her but then said you sink my boat and im kicking your arse. More then once...

kaneboats
06-04-2009, 09:18 AM
Good reason to mount that amp up high.

Had my sister and my ("my hair can't get wet") cousin sunbathing in the bow one day. All day I tried so hard to keep them dry but then the inevitable moment came -- and you know when it's inevitable it's because it's the tidal wave type of roller -- and it practically washed them off their seats. They turned on me like a pair of cornered lionesses. They had no idea the effort I had put in all day to look out for them.

Anyway, I'm thinking of putting a bag up there right about at the windshield to see if that's far enough forward to lenghten the wave a bit.

moombadaze
06-04-2009, 03:52 PM
Yep water over the bow prevention should be taught as a 1/2credit college course:) I'm proud to say I have passed that class with flyiing colors!

Hey I passed that class:D
oops, guess not the reading class--missed that word "prevention"