PDA

View Full Version : Trailering Boat Long Distances - Protection for Front End/Hull?

Boomer44
05-29-2009, 02:16 PM
I am going to be taking my new Outback down to a friend's lake house in GA a couple of weeks from now. It will be about a 5 hour drive and I was wondering if there was any ingenious ideas and/or products that were made to protect the hull of the boat (front end) from road debris or anything that my Yukon tires might throw up at it? I was thinking about attaching a tarp to the front end and wrapping it around to protect it. Might look goofy, but I do not want to mess up the hull of the boat with any foreign objects.

Any thoughts?

kaneboats
05-29-2009, 02:24 PM
A set of mud flaps might be easier. I do a lot of towing and I'll get a little road scum but usually don't see any pebble marks or anything. Stay away from new blacktop though.

maxpower220
05-29-2009, 02:29 PM
I have a Chevy Avalanche truck. I have towed my boat from Witchata, KS to OKC, OK then to Pensacola, FL and then to San Diego, CA and then to Pensacola, FL. I have also made a trip from Pensacola, FL to Tampa and back. I have never had any "protection" on the front of my boat and I have never had any damage. During rain storms, the boat does get very dirty, but nothing that won't wash off.

04OUTBACK
05-29-2009, 02:31 PM
there is a trailer hitch mounted mud flap setup out there.. not sure who makes it.. but look around RV sites.
Wrap front of hull with Saran wrap....tarp will flap..

kaneboats
05-29-2009, 02:31 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO! Please don't mention saran wrap. Not this close to the weekend.

ian ashton
05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I would not use a tarp! Its likely that the wind would make it "flap" and damage your gel coat. I've towed the boat 2-4 hours at a time with nothing to protect it and I have also not had any issues.

If you are really concerned with it I would just buy a few rolls of blue 3M masking tape and apply strips to the areas of concern.

Like this:
http://www.davepit.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/gts-viper-with-tape-on-bumper.jpg

I have done this with my autocross car and it always worked perfectly.

Boomer44
05-29-2009, 02:43 PM
A set of mud flaps might be easier. I do a lot of towing and I'll get a little road scum but usually don't see any pebble marks or anything. Stay away from new blacktop though.

Good thought.

Side note...my dad grew up in Tallahassee and graduated from Leon High in the early 60's. We used to go down there often to visit my grandmother. I think she used to live on Old Fort Dr. near Capitol City CC. I believe my dad still owns a lot of the land around Lake Munson (it has been in his family a couple of generations...some of the roads are named after my grandmother and grandfather). Though I believe he is in the process of trying to sell it back to the city (it is not worth much and I think has some flood zone issues).

kaneboats
05-29-2009, 02:48 PM
My wife is a realtor if you need any help. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll give you her contact info if you like. I've only been here 5 years. Used to live in IL and Mom is from Vero Beach area in FL.

Boomer44
05-29-2009, 02:54 PM
Ian, good idea as well. Maybe I should not worry about it though. The thought of extra protection crossed my mind since this is the first time I will be towing the boat long distances.

kaneboats
05-29-2009, 02:55 PM
What lake are you going to?

Scottys
05-29-2009, 02:57 PM
NOOOOOOOOOO! Please don't mention saran wrap. Not this close to the weekend.

OK so what's teh deal about the saran wrap? Something that less than family friendly???

Boomer44
05-29-2009, 02:59 PM
My wife is a realtor if you need any help. PM me with your e-mail address and I'll give you her contact info if you like. I've only been here 5 years. Used to live in IL and Mom is from Vero Beach area in FL.

Thanks, I will ask my dad what the status is and if he needs any additional realty help. My other grandparents used to live down in Cocoa Beach and we used to go down to Vero quite often. I think we used to stay in the Driftwood Inn.

kaneboats
05-29-2009, 03:02 PM
That was my Dad's favorite place to hang out. I used to cruise that beach when I was in driver's ed as a sophomore at Vero Beach HS. Pretty slow then but better than sitting in class. My Mom and brother still live there. We also used to run the concession stand at the Sebastian Inlet. Don't know if you know where that is though -- between Vero and Cocoa on AIA.

kaneboats
05-29-2009, 03:03 PM
OK so what's teh deal about the saran wrap? Something that less than family friendly???

You may have to run a search on saran wrap to get the whole thing. (I'll say that it's one of EdG's secret pleasures though.)

Boomer44
05-29-2009, 03:04 PM
What lake are you going to?

Lake Sinclair. I grew up boating (friends houses) on Lake Lanier and Burton, but this is my first time to Sinclair.

Razzman
05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
Then your the exception Maxpower. Everyone i know with a boat has road chips, ramps are bad too especially when water is down!

I use the Rock Tamers by Enkay (http://www.mudflaps.com/) and nothing gets to the boat, barely even the trailer. I just bought the basic black setup and mounts right to the hitch. Get home, park the boat and pull them off in seconds. You even feel like a bigtime trucker driving around with camping at the lake! :p

kaneboats
05-29-2009, 03:07 PM
That's where we're headed the weekend after 7/4. You should look up Wolfeman and Saltyoysters while you're there.

Boomer44
05-29-2009, 03:11 PM
That was my Dad's favorite place to hang out. I used to cruise that beach when I was in driver's ed as a sophomore at Vero Beach HS. Pretty slow then but better than sitting in class. My Mom and brother still live there. We also used to run the concession stand at the Sebastian Inlet. Don't know if you know where that is though -- between Vero and Cocoa on AIA.

I have been on that stretch of 1A plenty of times (though back in the 80's).

Boomer44
05-29-2009, 03:14 PM
Then your the exception Maxpower. Everyone i know with a boat has road chips, ramps are bad too especially when water is down!

I use the Rock Tamers by Enkay (http://www.mudflaps.com/) and nothing gets to the boat, barely even the trailer. I just bought the basic black setup and mounts right to the hitch. Get home, park the boat and pull them off in seconds. You even feel like a bigtime trucker driving around with camping at the lake! :p

Razzman, that looks pretty awesome! Might have to give those a try. I might even ride with them on without the trailer just because!

wolfeman131
05-29-2009, 03:16 PM
Lake Sinclair. I grew up boating (friends houses) on Lake Lanier and Burton, but this is my first time to Sinclair.

Boomer - let me know exact dates so we can hook up! Our place is in the Island Creek area of Sinclair. If looking at a map of the lake, it's the second "finger" on the east side North of the dam.

wolfeman131
05-29-2009, 03:18 PM
I use the Rock Tamers by Enkay (http://www.mudflaps.com/) and nothing gets to the boat, barely even the trailer.

I've seen a similar setup at WalMart and would have bought it if I towed the boat more. I think it was $150 or so.

Boomer44
05-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Boomer - let me know exact dates so we can hook up! Our place is in the Island Creek area of Sinclair. If looking at a map of the lake, it's the second "finger" on the east side North of the dam.

All I know is that my friend's place is on Crooked Creek Rd.

wolfeman131
05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
All I know is that my friend's place is on Crooked Creek Rd.

Ask him if he's by the new marina. If so, you're going to basically be across the lake from Saltyoysters and about 30-40 mins from my place.

Travel safe and have fun!

mmandley
05-29-2009, 05:38 PM
As for the towing. I have towed Fierah over 1500 miles already to all the different lakes and places here to check them out. I haven't received a single chip or anything from my 4x4 throwing rocks.

I do have custom fit mud flaps on the truck. I also upgrades my exhaust and have the pipes out behind the tires now also. I do get little black speckles on the front of the boat from the exhaust blowing crap out. They wipe right off with a damp towel.

As for long hauls AWS said to saran wrap the boat. You can get a big 2 foot wide roll at most Office Depots and other Office stores like that for a few bucks. You wrap the boat from the top gunnel and wrap down as fare as you like. This serves 2 proposes.

1. When you put the cover on and strap it down it will keep you from getting any scratches and or scuff marks from the wind vibrations. It will also protect the boat from rocks and such. Your truck is not the only problem, think about how you get most of the chips on your truck. Its from others who pass you and there car throws rocks and such up at you. Those can easily fling off there tires passing your baby and smack her in the nose.

Do like they tell you in High school, Wrap that rascal.

aintskeered
05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Razz I have a set of the rubber mud flap things, and still catch a few of the chips. I was told by another friend that the (Broom fiber) one dose alot better job of stoping the rocks. they kind of catch and slow them down. I trailer about 5 hours one way on an annual trip to powell. So far only very minor dents, and thats without the flaps. Road tar on the other hand is a dirty rotten no good for nothing paine to get off the boat and trailer! I havent searched for the fiber ones but I think that is where I would go next

Razzman
05-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Skeerd, these things ain't ur momma's mud flaps, they are 24"x24"! Believe me when centered on the tire there's plenty to cover for incidentals unless you want to cover across the entire truck rear, i'm not that anal. I've never seen the brush thingy that connected to the hitch like mine.

jester
05-29-2009, 06:24 PM
I should have a few friends play a prank on me before my next long haul and have them saran wrap my boat. Think they will fall for it?

zabooda
05-29-2009, 06:25 PM
I run a lot of gravel roads and sometimes no gravel and just some rock and dirt. The only problems encountered were the front facing parts of the trailer (fenders, underbracing and axle). I had to repaint the fenders once after one of those trips and then I put mud flaps on the duallys of the motorhome. The boat itself was untouched as the angle of incidence is so great that rocks glance off. I would be more concerned getting tar to stick but that can be cleaned off. The problem with any type of flaps at higher speeds is they sway back and are basically useless.

mmandley
05-29-2009, 06:28 PM
Yea i can agree ont he flaps. Luckily mine are hard ABS plastic so they really don't flex but there's about 4inc of clearance form them to the ground.

Jester that would be funny.

Get a conversation going one night about how this happened to your buddies boat. How pissed you would be if it happened to yours. A little reverse psychology.

aintskeered
05-29-2009, 06:34 PM
Razzman, I guess mine may be a bit red neck cause mine Do cover the whole rear of the truck + about 2" past the outsides. except for where ya plug the wires in. This may not be the right one to have. I find the rock will bounce off the flap in all sorts of diffrent directions..... some good some not so much a good direction! I finally gave up on the thing and figured if I get a few dings it means I am using the boat and thats always a good thing!

Razzman
05-29-2009, 06:37 PM
Yeah i know what you mean, periodically i'll hear rocks hitting the back of the truck and i know they are bouncing off the flaps!

jester
05-29-2009, 07:49 PM
Dang it Mike a friends boat got saran wraped and it took him like forever to get it all off. I would be soo pissed off if someone did that too my boat. On the night of June 12th i will have to leave my boat parked outside my place since i am getting realy for a long camping trip. I dont know what i would do if that happend to my boat.

jimmobius
05-30-2009, 09:49 AM
I bought a bow protector from Bass Pro shops several years ago and it works great. I haven't been on their site in a while but they might sell them still. I had to modify mine some to get it to fit the boats. ( had it on 2 boats). Jim.