PDA

View Full Version : Wakeplate on a Mobius?

Toolband
09-06-2002, 05:38 PM
This may be a stupid question...Can you put a wakeplate on a Mobius? I just purchased a 2002 Mobius in July. While I was adding all my goodies, I asked for the dealer to install a wakeplate and he looked at me like I was a retard. Am I?

Brian Raymond
09-06-2002, 11:06 PM
No, you are not a retard. This is a very popular option on the wakeboard boats, and can be installed by a servicing dealer. The wakeplate option is great for wakeboarding because it sinks the aft end of the boat at wakeboard speeds, it is also nice to fine tune the wake characteristics for the slalom skier and barefooter at higher speeds. When cruising in rough chop, it helps the ride quite considerably when the plate is trimmed down to have more keel in the water.

Brian Raymond
09-06-2002, 11:07 PM
No, you are not a retard. This is a very popular option on the wakeboard boats, and can be installed by a servicing dealer. The wakeplate option is great for wakeboarding because it sinks the aft end of the boat at wakeboard speeds, it is also nice to fine tune the wake characteristics for the slalom skier and barefooter at higher speeds. When cruising in rough chop, it helps the ride quite considerably when the plate is trimmed down to have more keel in the water.

11-21-2002, 04:44 PM
I've seen the Wedge for Malibu boats, but what is the brand that works with Moomba? I have a '99 Kanga and need a bigger wake :)

k_b_stephens
11-21-2002, 04:46 PM
I've seen the Wedge for Malibu boats, but is there a brand for Moomba? I'd like to add one to my '99 Kanga....need a bigger wake! :)

Brian Raymond
11-22-2002, 11:10 PM
Unfortunately there is not a wakeplate or any other electrical or mechanical device to change the wake characteristics of that model. There is an optional ballast system with 2 tanks in the aft ski storage area. It will diminish your storage by half, but if your into phat wakes, it may be worth looking into. Please check with your dealer for pricing and availability.Brian Raymond

mikeoc
01-21-2003, 04:13 PM
where do u get a wake plate? how much to they cost? who makes them?

mikeoc
01-21-2003, 04:13 PM
where do u get a wake plate? how much to they cost? who makes them?

Brian Raymond
01-22-2003, 12:22 AM
Please check with your local dealer for product and install pricing and availability. There are some models that are unable to take the hydraulic wakeplate, it sure is an advantagious option to have, it may also help on the re-sale/trade in side.Brian Raymond

boozcruz33
01-22-2003, 12:30 PM
Does the wakeplate truly create a better wakeboarding wake? When it is trimmed properly, does it drop the back of the boat enough to make a steeper and bigger wake?

What is Skier's Choice opinion on putting additional fatsacs in the rear trunk? I understand that the gas tanks are back there and the standard plastic floor may collapse, but can you work around this? I saw in another thread that people have replaced this floor with a two-inch wood floor. Is this a bad idea? Would it deform the gas tanks? How much weight should a floor such as this support?

Sorry for the long post, but I am considering expanding the factory ballast on my Mobius to connect to two additional 400lb bags in the rear trunk and two 200lb bags under the front seats. This would give me about 2000lbs of ballast with the flip of two switches. What are the pros/cons of doing this versus adding a wakeplate?

Thanks for any advise you may give me...

goose
01-22-2003, 11:14 PM
boozcruz33,

When it comes to making a big wake there is "no replacement for displacement" (had to borrow that one!) What I mean by that is the only way to make a really large wake is to displace lots of water. The best way to do that is to add weight to the boat to make it sit deeper in the water, thus displacing more water as the boat goes forward. The wakeplate will not in itself displace more water. It will however allow the boat to sit as deep as possible in the water and not create lift which takes away from the weight of the boat or displacement that it creates. As Brian mentioned before, the wake plate is very beneficial when it comes to fine tunig the wake, and cruising, and getting on plane and lots of other things. Because our boats are designed to run with a wake plate, (no hook in bottom) if you do not get the hydraulic wake plate, then a permanent ride plate is installed on the bottom of the boat. This plate is a shorter plate but does actually lengthen the running surface and provides a little lift. It is basically like having the plate set at level all the time. While this plate is not very large, it will create more lift than the hydraulic wake plate - if the hydraulic wake plate is in the fully up position. Because of that, the hydraulic wake plate will allow the boat to sit slightly deeper and displace slightly more water than a boat with a fixed plate. I hope that makes sense. Secondly, about the rear storage and fuel tanks. As a manufacturer and due to liabilities, we do not recommend you place ballast on top of the plastic floor above the fuel tank. We do know that people have done that, and you can do anything you want with your boat, but as a manufacturer if we did recommend it and 1 person had a fuel tank rupture and catch on fire and someone were to get injured, we may not be a manufacturer anymore. Hope you understand. Definitely do not do it without adding some type of support.

BensonWdby
01-31-2003, 01:45 AM
I am surprised that no one (including the mfg rep) did not say anything about adding 2000 lbs to the boat.
I know my 99 Mobius is certainly not rated for that kind of weight.

Does anyone have realistic experience with adding that kind of weight?

Just Curious
Dave

Pman
02-28-2003, 10:03 PM
I own a 2001 Outback. Can I install a wakeplate on this hull? Thanks.

tn_viper
03-05-2003, 01:39 PM
I was thinking of adding some weight to my 1999 Mobius, but would rather do the wake plate if I can. Does anyone know if you can add the wake plate to the 1999 model or not?

Thanks

Brian Raymond
03-05-2003, 11:36 PM
Viper, unfortunately, the wake plate is not available for that model, check with your dealer for an add on ballast system if you desire a phat wake. Brian Raymond

06-25-2003, 03:16 PM
can i put it on a 98 mobius