PDA

View Full Version : Regular vs. Goofy Poll

Chad M
05-27-2009, 11:50 AM
After seeing so many goofy surfers on the board, I'm interested to see what the statistics look like for regular vs. goofy and also how it correlates with handedness. By special request we've also got the switch category for Ed G...

A quick review: regular is left foot forward and goofy is right foot forward. Note that you can surf goofy or regular on either side of the boat. Switch means that you are riding opposite of what your natural stance would be.

sandm
05-27-2009, 12:01 PM
I would think that it would be hard to ride on the left side of the boat, regular with left foot forward and use the right hand to hold the rope. similarly, riding on the right side, right foot forward(goofy) and using the left hand to hold the rope.
that kind of goes against balancing on the board in my mind.

I use both hands to pull closer like tug of war, but when holding with one hand, it's always the left.

moombadaze
05-27-2009, 12:28 PM
regular/right , but next time I see Ed I'm going to ask for a goofy pull.

Chad M
05-27-2009, 12:41 PM
Just to clarify - by handedness I mean which is your dominant one, i.e. which one do you write with.

Most of the people I've ridden with are goofy/left-handed or regular/right-handed, but there are some that don't follow this pattern.

SEARK
05-27-2009, 05:24 PM
I ride goofy and am right handed. I can ride regular but it just doesn't feel comfortable at all.

Sled491
05-27-2009, 06:18 PM
I'm goofy (easy Ed), and left handed, but after some thought about this I may try riding goofy on the backside this weekend just to see how it goes.

Chad you been out yet? Were trying to do a camping thingy the weekend of the Jamboree on the river somewhere. You interested?

Roachman
05-28-2009, 08:20 AM
I am goofy and right handed....guess I am one of the weird guys. i have tried riding regular but it just doesnt feel right kind of like the stranger... LOL

kaneboats
05-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Taught my brother to wakesurf the last two days. He's right handed and skis and rides goofy. He was able to surf either regular or goofy on the "normal" side.

mmandley
05-28-2009, 05:38 PM
I think this weekend when we go out im going to try out goofy and see how it feels since im still learning. Im sure with driver weight goofy would have a better wave because of the extra weight but maybe not. We will see. I know right now i ride goofy because im learning lol. Goofy as in im all over the wave trying to get settled into it lol.

Trashy
05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
When it comes to surfing I am Regular, but when it comes to boarding lately I like to ride switch more often.

Sled491
05-28-2009, 10:32 PM
From the poll results above I would say that goofy versus regular for Rh people is a matter of comfort or style than any kind of rule.

mmandley
05-28-2009, 10:50 PM
I know i ride naturaly left foot forward but i was thinking maybe id try the other way to see how it felt. I am right handed but naturaly for some reason i am left hand dommanent for using tools and things like that. Figure ill give it a shot. Whats the worst i have to drain and fill ballast bags again and i fall one more time LOL.

moombadaze
06-01-2009, 02:19 PM
Interesting-when im pushed from behind my right leg goes out to catch me,but when i was waterskiing i was told that doing that test you would put your right leg in the back boot so that is how i do everthing now.

This weekend i managed to surf on the goofy side(no ballast) with a regular stance---strange feeling but fun.

kaneboats
06-01-2009, 04:27 PM
Holy swine flu! Are you a member of the NAPPA too?

kaneboats
06-02-2009, 10:32 AM
Oh, crap! I was just kidding.

Sled491
06-02-2009, 05:30 PM
KB, haven't you learned yet?

kaneboats
06-03-2009, 10:26 AM
Learnin' is for smart folk.