PDA

View Full Version : New Outback Owner

Boomer44
05-27-2009, 12:59 AM
Just want to jump in here and let you all know that you have a new '09 Outback owner here (I have been reading these boards for 3+ years now). I came from having a Stingray 200LX, but I have always dreamed of owning a Moomba and my dream has become a reality! Took the boat out on Saturday for over two hours of break in time. Funny story...kind of...but when we got the boat on the ramp to launch it my daughter (4 years old) started saying she did not feel well and I told her she would be okay and that the fresh air would help her out. Well, as soon as she got in the boat and sat in shotgun postition, she hurled everywhere. I was not too pleased, but had to be the compassionate dad and thus she, mom, and my other daughter went home while I took the boat out. I was able to clean it up using an old towel we brought along and lake water. But, it still reaked for a while. The nice, plush carpet's only downfall is that it traps pieces of vomit in really well.

But, the boat was a joy to drive compared to the Stingray. Also, on the ramp as I was launching the boat, a Ski Nautique was being launched just in front of me and there was a ton of debris in the water around the ramp. Well, as I was getting out of the Yukon to get in the boat they were pulling back in and they had just bent their prop on some of the debris in the water. It made me very reluctant to put it in. Some fishing boat came by within a foot of my boat perpindicular and at first I was questioning what he was doing and then I realized he was trying to push some of the debris aside (or so I hope).

My boat has tower, racks, Gravity I, and other standard features. It was in inventory at the local dealer. I did look at the V's, but I actually wanted a direct drive over a V. I did fill up the ballast on its maiden voyage and was actually quite impressed by the wake size (I was not expecting much). I think it should be sufficient for me since I do not plan on becoming an expert wakeboarder. And I want to get back into rec. slalom skiing.

But, just wanted to say hey. I will fill you in on my bonehead move of the day. On Friday when I brought the boat home I was checking everything out and tried to turn on the radio and it would not work. I checked all the wiring and it still would not turn on. So I went to bed that night telling my wife that I need to talk to the dealer the next day. Well, the next morning I was looking through the manual and realized that there was a little switch over by the bilge, ballast, lights, etc. switches with "stereo" on it. Boy did I feel like a MORON! Needless to say, there is not one of those on the Stingray. I am glad I did not call the dealer.

Pics will be on the way.

lancesaville
05-27-2009, 01:22 AM
Well I'm sure your kids will get a ton of enjoyment out of the boat, even tho the first run didn't go too smooth. Welcome to the family. Enjoy your new boat!

mmandley
05-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Welcome tot he Moomba Family Boomer44. Wow you been reading for that long and never posted any comments. That shows a man who only says things that are really important lol.

Welcome welcome

I was lucky my first boat was a Moomba because it was almost a Bayliner, till someone said you know Mike, you can get more then 5 years on the loan and just double payment in the winter when its out of the water. Sold baby big Moomba it is lol. I know i wouldn't have been happy with anything less then a Moomba and when i see the MCs and Supera and MB i like the bling on them but i truly love my Moomba.

wolfeman131
05-27-2009, 09:24 AM
way to go Boomer!
Welcome and get the pics up soon.

eseebeck
05-27-2009, 01:57 PM
Welcome aboard Boomer.

You'll love the Moomba and the whole moomba family. I ahe been a direct drive owner since 1992. There isn't a nicer , kinder group of people to hang with than the MOOMBA crowd. Post lots of pics and share your boating adventures as we can all live through each others fun.

Ask any questions you may have, one of us must have been there and done that at one time or another.

congrats on your new purchase

moombadaze
05-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Boomer, congrats on the new boat and dont forget--we love photos, so get some posted.

Welcome to Roo clan

Mikey
05-27-2009, 06:03 PM
Welcome to the clan. As fellow DD Outback owner and Waterskier,i can say YOU WILL enjoy this boat. Pics, opinions questions and a little waterskiing hype and your set to go.Enjoy.

Boomer44
05-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks for the welcoming comments.

A couple of questions. First off, when the boat's transmission is in reverse is it supposed to make that horrible pitched noise when it is given some throttle? Also, I want to order some trailer guide pads from overtons...do you all know what the diameter of the posts are (2" vs. 2 3/8")? My boat is in storage until the weekend so I cannot measure right now.

Pics still on the way.

mmandley
05-27-2009, 11:22 PM
Yes on the trans noise. Mine makes that high pitched noise in reverse also. From what ive read its a V drive thing lol.

Guid poles not positive eighter. I can measure mine in the Am when i get home if theres no posting by then.

Boomer44
05-28-2009, 12:53 AM
Here are some pics...pretty boring though:confused:

mmandley
05-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Good looking boat Boomer. Glad to see some pics of it

deerfield
05-28-2009, 07:52 AM
when the boat's transmission is in reverse is it supposed to make that horrible pitched noise when it is given some throttle? ...do you all know what the diameter of the posts are (2" vs. 2 3/8")?

Boomer - The outside diameter of the guide poles is 1 7/8 inches. I have an '07 Outback. It rides on a Boatmate trailer. With respect to the noise you describe, it is normal. Congratulations on the purchase and welcome to the family. Glad to see another skier! - Deerfield

eseebeck
05-28-2009, 09:07 AM
my direct drive makes the same noise in reverse. I don't use much throttle in reverse, just enough to move the boat around. As to the guides, I am not sure either, My boat and trailer came with really cool padded guides from the dealer. www.premierboating.com I think. email jeff kopec at premier watersports and he may be able to help you out with a set. [email protected].

kaneboats
05-28-2009, 12:31 PM
Love it. Congrats!

Sharpie647
05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Looks real nice. I like the wakeboard racks lower on the tower. Thinkin I should move mine down. Might be easier to get the boards on and off.

kaneboats
05-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Don't forget about the side of the garage either. There's no winner in that one.

Sharpie647
05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
Ed thats a good Point. I wasn't going to do it at first because it would cover the Moomba etched into the tower but they are such a pain to get on and off and always drip into the boat when they are wet. I thought lowering them would help, maybe I should just look into some swivel racks.

SEARK
05-28-2009, 01:55 PM
I wasn't going to do it at first because it would cover the Moomba etched into the tower but they are such a pain to get on and off and always drip into the boat when they are wet. I thought lowering them would help, maybe I should just look into some swivel racks.

lowering the racks is not going to help the drip problem. you're going to get that unless you let the board drain well before you put them up.

Sharpie647
05-28-2009, 02:06 PM
Seark, On my tower if you look in my album the racks would be right about windshield height and because the tower is wider closer to the boat I thought it would help with the drip problem. I try and drain them first put more water always sneaks out later. Not usually a big deal being were on a boat but in the colder months someones is always trying to stay dry.

Boomer44
05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
I assume it is not that hard to move the racks...meaning I can do it with the proper tools? I did not even think about it until now.