PDA

View Full Version : battery isolator

jmvotto
05-25-2009, 07:37 PM
Can the dual battery system be wired in isolation from starter/alt and stereo amp without an actual isolator. I paid for the install and looks like the two batterties are wired together, with the starter/alt on battery 1 and amp on battery 2. Then they are wired together. + to + an - to - :confused:

Razzman
05-25-2009, 07:46 PM
Positives must be separated to in order for isolation to correctly work. Sounds to me like they wired it so to allow for disconnect when starting is all. The way it sounds it'll still drain the start batt. Without seeing exactly what they did it's hard to tell though.

zabooda
05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
The positives need to be seperated by some type of isolation device whether it is a relay, electronic or switch. With the positives connected together, the system sees the two batteries as one large one and isn't the same as what you intended.

jmvotto
05-25-2009, 09:18 PM
it separated by the same breaker that was there with just one battery. Does that make sense. i should have snaped some photo's

jmvotto
05-30-2009, 07:42 AM
Does anyone know if you can extend the main power supply lines from the alternator to the battery. I don't like the placement of the battery in the "hole" takes up space. Distribution block with 2 gauge wire or is that a No No.

mmandley
05-30-2009, 08:00 AM
The cheap and easy way out it to get another cable and bolt the two together using a regular nut and bolt. Then insulate it so it doesnt short.

The correct way is to add a breaker to extend it, breaker acting as a junction and protection point.

The other more correct and possibly the best way is to measure the length of cable from the start < alternator > to the location you want the battery in. Then have a custom cable made at that length and rerun it.

Razzman
05-30-2009, 09:47 AM
They actually make posts for that purpose or as a junction, gotta remember what they call the blasted things.

Razzman
05-30-2009, 10:00 AM
Her ya go, they are called JUNCTION BLOCK STUD TYPE ~ NON FEED THROUGH (http://order.waytekwire.com/products2/M37/300/600/400/1/1%20STUD%20NON-FEED%20THROUGH/STUD%20TYPE%20JUNCTION%20BLOCKS/TERMINAL%20BLOCK%20JUNCTION%20BLOCK/), it's the bottom two. Mount them wherever you want and bolt the cables on, totally insulated. I didn't look but you'll also want to cover these somehow. Check out Waytek they have everything!

jmvotto
05-30-2009, 05:06 PM
Perfect, I will try and find the covering for the studs.

thanks Da Razzman:p

jmvotto
06-01-2009, 11:31 PM
Razz, will this work with some heat shrink.?
http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/1557390/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Razzman
06-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Probably would be ok as long as the connection can't move around. I might tin the ends of the cable before connecting then double layer/overlap with the shrink.

jmvotto
06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
Razz, good idea to tin the ends with the screw terminals.

jmvotto
06-02-2009, 01:52 PM
Razz, you know the diamter of the battery leads to the engine are they 0/1 gauge or 2 gauge?

thx

EMMAS MOOMBA
06-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Razz, you know the diamter of the battery leads to the engine are they 0/1 gauge or 2 gauge?

thx

Can you have the starter battery with both cables from the engine. Then i have marine battery which you can put the acc wires to the screw connectors. and just charge the deep cylce battery after every trip

jmvotto
06-02-2009, 11:15 PM
this is what my dealer sent me gratis for forgeting to install it over the winter:mad:

http://store.rv4u.com/rv4u/details.php?ITEM=1412486

The instructions are blurred and hard to read. I need some help wiring it if it is worth while.

Left post battery 1, center post alternator, right post battery 2.

50 amp circut breaker one post says battery , other post says aux

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=412032

Thoughts on this isolator looks simple just put between the batteries

Razzman
06-03-2009, 07:06 PM
Hey JM, sorry for the delay i've been gone since yesterday morning! Towed to boat 100 miles to Tower Biminis and dropped it off by 12pm, drove another 85 miles to my brothers place by 2:30pm. Hooked up at 5pm for golf with the gang, up at 4:30AM this morning and on a plane for Ontario, CA by 6:30am with my brother, checked out a 2002 Corvette Z06 which he ultimately purchased, back on plane at 12PM and in the Oakland airport by 1:30pm and drove 90 miles back home by 3:15pm, WHEW! I'm fragged!

LOL! Anyway the RV unit style has been around for awhile and while they work great in trucks & RV's i can't speak for a boat, don't see why not though. Never seen the other.

The one feature i like about marine isolators or the stinger for that matter is they isolate batt 2 when starting which is a good thing. If anything go with the Stinger 80 for around $20 on ebay, works good and is easy to hookup.

I need a beer! :p

Razzman
06-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Can you have the starter battery with both cables from the engine. Then i have marine battery which you can put the acc wires to the screw connectors. and just charge the deep cylce battery after every trip

Not sure but i would say 2ga, 0/1 is absotuely huge and real hard to move or bend at all.

mmandley
06-03-2009, 07:56 PM
Id agree with 2 gauge. I bought 4 gauge cable to run power to my amps and it was a bit smaller then the battery cables. Much more flexible then the battery cables also.

jmvotto
06-03-2009, 10:46 PM
Razz, how was the golf, you had a busy trip. I play friday then off to the lake.

The rv/auto has marine right on it. It looks like it could do the trick. not sure which wire to put to the alternator post. This one is in my possesion , no out of pocket $$$

The stinger looks good but don't want to run wire to ignition, but i may have to.

The sunforce looks like a vsr between the two batteries + wires and breaks the circut when voltage drops easy install.

I spoke to Rob at SC, they recomend the BEP marine dual VSR about $135 if i can find it.

BTW he told me the wires we 0/0 gauge for both postive and negative and run 12ft red and 11 ft blk for the 07 obv. have to measure distance to see if i need to extend.

the wire is 2/0 I am at the lake now and just checked. 6/5/09 5:30