PDA

View Full Version : 03 LSV having trouble starting

Loonytik
05-25-2009, 10:44 AM
Yesterday I hopped into my boat and it cranked right up with no problem. After riding for a little while we shut it off while I was filling the bags. Afterwards it cranked right up again. We rode for a little while and shut it off again. When I tried to crank the boat back up the lights came up, the beep that i normally hear sounded and I tried to start it up. Nothing. I shut it off and tried it again. Nothing. After about 4 times I finally heard the engine trying to start. On the next try it started up.

This happened once more and I didn't shut it off for the rest of the session. I assume this has something to do with my batteries but I just installed a brand new one. I have two batteries, one is brand new, the other is less than a year old.

Any ideas?

mmandley
05-25-2009, 01:38 PM
I would check the batteries for sure but when it finally cranked up was it normal sounding? Or was it a slower crank then normal?

I would suspect more the Starter Solinoid then the battery. Due to starting and shutting off the boat a lot it takes more stress and gets hot and it might be trying to cool down.

If you have the ability to start the engine up on land a few times with a fake a lake or something id try to simulate the afternoon a bit. See if you can reproduce the problem then check your batteries and if there good id be suspecting a solenoid.

IF your not sure its the small coil looking cylinder attached tot he starter. It forces the starter gear out to engage the flywheel.

smokedog2
05-25-2009, 07:54 PM
Put some water eater in th gas. Esp if it sat all winter.

Yes I know why did it start to begin with -- because the gas in teh lines was not full of water.

my $.02,

Worth what you paid for it - but it worked this weekend - same fact pattern

SD2

Loonytik
05-26-2009, 02:11 PM
Thanks....I'll try some gas treatment to start with and see if that helps. When It decided to start up it didn't sound different really, it just started right up.

mmandley
05-27-2009, 09:42 AM
Maybe i misunderstood your problem. I was thinking you were running great and after a few starts and stops of the engine it went to a No Crank condition.

If it No Cranks then yea id be looking at the Battery Starter or Soleniod.

If it cranks and wont start condition and it was recently taken out of storage then yes id be looking into a fuel problem for sure.

I was always lucky with my Trans Ams i restored and would leave in the garage all winter. Charge the battery start them up and run them on the freeway and never had fuel issues. Just put stabilizer in them.

Im hoping when i store my boat for the first time this winter it goes that smooth next year LOL.

Loonytik
05-28-2009, 10:13 PM
Took the boat out today after charging up the batteries and it worked fine. I think I ran the batteries down by filling my bags too many times without the engine running. We swapped from boarding to goofy foot surfing then to regular foot surfing and I had the engine off.

Had to test it today for the weekend...its supposed to be very nice in Georgia.

Thanks all...