PDA

View Full Version : Damaged prop today - need help...

TL7
05-23-2009, 04:53 PM
We hit a rock today and bent the prop. It's an OJ 13x13, and I'm pretty sure all 3 blades are bent. I can definitely see damage on 2 blades. We were just idling when we hit, so I'm hoping it's just the prop. Here are my questions:

1. I don't have a puller, so is there a specific one I need?

2. What's normal cost to rework the prop?

3. If the prop is unrepairable, what's the best place to get one? Average cost?

4. Is there a way I can verify (in my driveway) that the shaft and everything else is ok?

5. Should I just chalk it up as part of the boat owning experience and take it to the dealer?

I really don't mind taking it to the dealer for service, but with the expertise on this forum I figured if it's something relatively straight forward I could save a little money and more importantly time.

Razzman
05-23-2009, 04:59 PM
1. I don't have a puller, so is there a specific one I need? Just a general inboard prop puller

2. What's normal cost to rework the prop? There isn't a "normal" cost, it's all based on labor and how long it takes

3. If the prop is unrepairable, what's the best place to get one? Average cost? OJ Props or Acme, OJ is stock, again no average but expect to pay at least $350

4. Is there a way I can verify (in my driveway) that the shaft and everything else is ok? Not unless you know what the specs are and have an absolute reliable straightedge and are 100% sure the strut is not bent as well

5. Should I just chalk it up as part of the boat owning experience and take it to the dealer? Exactly

Chances are though at that slow speed you didn't do anything but bend the prop as nybral is very pliable, fix or replace and see what happens as an option.

eseebeck
05-27-2009, 10:46 AM
You can probably get your prop off without a puller. I did. It was simple. loosen prop nut, pull on prop with one hand while tapping shaft nut with rubber mallet. once the prop comes loose, remove the nut and slide prop off.

I bought a new one from my dealer, they were cheaper than buying one from any of the big houses, Bart, overton's etc.

Repair cost depends on the amount of damage. a new prop is around 300.

My dealer is Premier water sports at Gun Lake michigan, call them and get a price, talk to Jeff Kopec, and tell him I sent you. I don't know if it will giv e you a special deal. but, it can't hurt.

I called one day and had a new prop two days later. Shipping and tax included was still cheaper than overtons. I also checked michigan wheel and OJ.

Good luck