PDA

View Full Version : I can't get my block plugs in...tip?

tlatoani
05-22-2009, 07:52 PM
Hi all, I am trying to "summerize". The block plug holes are fairly rusty from the winter, so I can't get the plugs to go in. I've tried cleaning the holes out (wire brush), I tried oiling the plug a bit to see if it would lube it a bit. It goes about halfway in, but it has damaged the plug threads. They seem flattened-I'm not sure how to describe it. Is there a better way to clean the holes out? I got some extra plugs...

Thanks!

dapjeff
05-22-2009, 08:26 PM
Sounds as if you may have cross threaded the block's threads. The best way to fix this is run a thread tap into the block to clean the threads up. Use the plug to determine proper thread type and size. Tap sets are available at places like Harbor Freight or Sears. Good luck

jasonwm
05-23-2009, 03:31 AM
And this fall store the block with the plugs (and a non-corrosive antifreeze) in it.

zabooda
05-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Or store the boat with the engine drained and the plugs back in.

maxpower220
05-23-2009, 11:33 AM
They make 2 different types of taps, one for new threads and one called a thread cleaner. Use a thread cleaner, it will get rid of all the rust and not cut new threads. Use some lube/oil when using any tap and go slowly.

Leaving the plug out allows the block to dry out the moisture that was left. You can replace the plug, use enviro-friendly antifreeze, or spray down the block with corrosion block.

JesseC
05-23-2009, 10:12 PM
I would doubt that you actually damaged the threads in the block. You probably just ruined the threads on the brass plug/bolt. I had the same problem this year with one side, I just ordered two new plugs from discount inboard marine and put them in with no problems. Also, remember that these plugs are tapered and only go in about a third of the way. Just wrap them with teflon tape and thread them in about a third of the way and snug them down. I would order two new plugs and just replace them both.

cab13367
05-23-2009, 10:44 PM
Hi all, I am trying to "summerize". The block plug holes are fairly rusty from the winter, so I can't get the plugs to go in. I've tried cleaning the holes out (wire brush), I tried oiling the plug a bit to see if it would lube it a bit. It goes about halfway in, but it has damaged the plug threads. They seem flattened-I'm not sure how to describe it. Is there a better way to clean the holes out? I got some extra plugs...

Thanks!

I made the same mistake last year. Go to NAPA and buy a T-302 1/4" pipe tap to clean the threads works like a charm. Take your time, work it back and forth.

After I removed the plugs last fall, I put a very small amt of marine grease on the threads on the block to prevent corrosion over the winter.

Al

newty
05-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Never-seize those suckers when you get them working, that will stop rust and corrosion.

tlatoani
05-24-2009, 11:42 PM
Thanks for the advice guys. Got new plugs, and they went in easily enough. I guess the old ones were just too messed up. Or I got the threads cleaned out when I was trying to put the old ones in. The new ones have built in drains so next year will be easy!

newty
05-25-2009, 12:37 AM
Nice! glad you got it fixed.