PDA

View Full Version : Ignition Emergency stop

wolfstone
05-21-2009, 03:29 PM
My Moomba Mobius arrived from the USA without a drivers emergency stop switch on the ignition circuit.

Having read the manual repeatedly, it clearly shows an emergency stop as standard, with lanyard.

Why would my Mobius V 2000 not have one fitted???

I am sure even in the USA it must be law to have a dead man switch???

It is here in the UK.

I have ordered a standard marine switch with lanyard, which i assume i must fit into the ignition circuit......

Don't want a runaway boat ........if i fall out!

JesseC
05-21-2009, 05:13 PM
My 02 LSV did not come with one either. I just added an aftermatket one to keep the marine police happy!

zabooda
05-21-2009, 06:12 PM
Not required. Something not used that can ruin a day when it fails. That would be the first thing to bypass.

JesseC
05-22-2009, 09:01 AM
Not required. Something not used that can ruin a day when it fails. That would be the first thing to bypass.

When I was stopped for the first time on my lake here in AL, they told me that they would give me one week to get one installed or I would receive a ticket the next time they boarded the boat!! When I wired mine in, I used male/female connectors and it can be bypassed in about 30 seconds! When you wire one in, just follow the wire off of the ignition switch and unplug it from the circuit board then just use new male/femal connectors to put the switch in place. If the switch fails, just unhook the switch from the circuit board and plug the ignition wire back to the circuit board....

sandm
05-22-2009, 09:10 AM
got inspected last weekend and they never looked for it, nor is it on the checklist the watercops here are using. I can't find any reference in any of the manuals here in idaho.

all I see it as is a lanyard hanging out of the way next to the drivers seat. I really can't imagine that there are many that attach it to themselves as the driver, but I may be wrong. if something happens, grabbing that thing would probably be the last thing I would ever think to use.

JesseC
05-22-2009, 09:28 AM
got inspected last weekend and they never looked for it, nor is it on the checklist the watercops here are using. I can't find any reference in any of the manuals here in idaho.

all I see it as is a lanyard hanging out of the way next to the drivers seat. I really can't imagine that there are many that attach it to themselves as the driver, but I may be wrong. if something happens, grabbing that thing would probably be the last thing I would ever think to use.

It looks like the only lanyard law that you have in Idaho is for PWCs. I did a search on my state and this is what I found:

"Vessels less than 24 feet with an open cockpit and powered by an engine greater than 50 horsepower, must be equipped with a lanyard-type ignition safety switch. This lanyard must be attached to the operator and the ignition switch while the boat is in operation."

If you do a google search for "Boat lanyard law Alabama" or "Boat Lanyard law Idaho" it takes you to a summary website for the laws of each state so just insert you state in the search and check you local laws.

you will see the following results returned:

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/statelaws/Idaho.html

http://www.boatus.org/onlinecourse/statelaws/Alabama.html

zabooda
05-22-2009, 02:32 PM
Wearing the safety emergency stop lanyard is required by law in 3 states is what I now see. So feel lucky since not having the lanyard attached is the same as not having one at all. Each State including mine has it's own silly rules but something must have happened to make the law.