PDA

View Full Version : How some people get so much air?

chutch
05-20-2009, 09:33 AM
I have a 98 Moomba Outback and have been wakeboarding now for about 2 years. I see these people out on the lake and they just launch really high and get a lot of air. I can jump and clear the wake and all of that but I don't get the air that these people do. What I am wondering is how much does the boat have to do with that? Most of these guys are in V-Drives with the engine in the rear and ballast systems their wakes look a little bigger but not that much. Of course I have about 300lbs in the back plus what ever people we have on the boat to try and make a little bigger wake.

Does it come down to technique? Do I just need to grow a set of balls and hit the wake faster? Or as long as I am in this boat I won't be able to launch as high? I bought "The Book" and watched it last year and tried to do what they say but I just am not getting that much air. I am sure it is something that I am doing wrong. One thing that I have noticed is that I always let go of the handle with one hand and have lots of slack in the rope when I land which makes it really hard to hang on when the boat jerks the rope out of my hands. Is that normal? It seems like what little I have seen on TV those guys always have tension on the rope even when they land. Is that right?

Any tips?

Razzman
05-20-2009, 11:43 AM
It's split, technique and the boat. The guys getting really big air are riding long lines at higher speeds and know the techniques to hit the wake to launch them.

he boat side is the wakes are big, firm with steep ramps to get them up there. I pulled a buddy last weekend on my LSV and he scored the biggest air he's ever got he said, even over his Sanger V215 which is a heavier and wider boat. BUT i pulled him faster and my LSV has a bigger and steeper ramp too though.

A consistent pull is a major portion as well. The driver has to maintain a consistent speed or it'll mess you up as well.

tprkolbas
05-20-2009, 01:41 PM
i agree that it is a split between technique and the boat you are behind and how that boat is weighted.

i weigh my boat down with 2400-2500 lbs of ballast - the wake is huge and firm. i go wake to wake effortlessly. in my experience with moomba boats (i've owned an ls & an lsv) - the wake is very steep and somewhat narrow. the xlv has a wider wake IMO. speed of the boat is also a factor - i set my perfect pass at 23.7.

putting it frankly, you do have to grow a set of balls and learn how to get a solid edge into and thru the wake & stand tall at the crest to help you launch yourself. here is a suggestion - watch some video of the pros on youtube or somewhere else and see how they edge into &"pop" off the wake. take some video of yourself and then compare it to the pros (or at least someone who knows what they are doing).

another factor is the board you are riding - certain boards are made to have more "pop" - these are usually the boards that cost more money.

good luck.

maxpower220
05-20-2009, 01:44 PM
Progressive cut into the wake with tension on the line. You should have tension on the line all of the time, except when the trick you are doing requires you to get a little slack for handle passes.
Go back and try to find wakeboarding in the early and mid 90s. Those guys (Lavelle, Shapiro, Gator, Byerly) were doing almost every trick (raley, front flip, etc) behind jet skis. So that just proves that a lot of technique is used. A lot of guys today start off behind really big wakes and have poor technique.
Practice.

Razzman
05-20-2009, 03:36 PM
Here we go again with the freaking spam! :mad:

dtlaine
05-20-2009, 10:59 PM
I am glad maxpower said that. Every time I think about upgrading the ballast, board, or anything else money can buy; I remember seeing videos of people behind direct drives 15 years ago doing more tricks and getting more air than I'll probably ever get. It's technique and courage. I will say that after falling hard a number of times, clearing W2W at-will was even sweeter. I'm not all that good, but I have a great time every ride. A rider has to be pretty good to have the boat hold them back. That's not what the manufacturers want you to believe, but I think it's the truth.

chutch
05-21-2009, 08:23 AM
Thanks guys! I can't really afford to upgrade the boat and like the last person said I am sure the boat isn't holding me back much. I did have a guy do a flip on the back of my boat so I know it can be done. I just haven't been able to "pop" like the guys I see out on the lake. I need to work on the tension thing because that really tears up my hands from the jerking of the handle. I can go W2W but not always consistantly. What kind of speeds do you pull at? We usually pull about 19 - 20. I am going to upgrade hopefully this summer to perfect pass. It is a pain trying to keep the boat steady.

chutch
05-21-2009, 08:24 AM
Here we go again with the freaking spam! :mad:

:confused:

kaneboats
05-21-2009, 09:55 AM
Nice job cleaning up that spammer. It was widespread and it's all gone. Thanks, guys!

Razzman
05-21-2009, 11:26 AM
AMEN Kane! I hate when they do that!

tprkolbas
05-21-2009, 12:18 PM
i'm riding at 23.7, but i've had people clear w2w at 21. more weight = increased speed so the wake isn't washed out. i'd play with the rope length and speed a little until you get more comfortable, but i'd definately work on speeding it up a bit.

SEARK
05-21-2009, 05:18 PM
What kind of speeds do you pull at? We usually pull about 19 - 20. I am going to upgrade hopefully this summer to perfect pass. It is a pain trying to keep the boat steady.

Speed probably depends on your size as well. I'm about 225 and ride behind a LS. I have my PP set at 23 and rope length at 70' and can get W2W and air pretty easy even without filling the GIII.

Limishowman3
05-21-2009, 07:21 PM
07 outback DD 23mph at 75', my friend rides same speed at 80'. Remember to push hard off the wake too. I have gotten a whole lot higher this summer just by practicing that. I will try to post some pics of me and my friend behind my boat doing some tricks.

Chefwong
05-22-2009, 12:42 PM
You really want to stand tall and firm off the top of the wake. When you hit the wake it tries to collapse your body, so you have to do the exact opposite and spring your body up tall. A lot of it can be cut too, you have to be progressive and edge all the way through the wake.

If you have a video of doing your jumps it would be much easier to diagnose.

There is also no question that a bigger wake will allow you to achieve larger heights. But with the correct technique you can maximize the height you can get out of the wake you have.

Ian Brantford
05-23-2009, 08:41 PM
Could someone kindly define "stand tall"? Is it a stiffening of the entire body, or a leap?

mmandley
05-23-2009, 10:41 PM
Standing straight up on the board knees almost locked but rigid so when you hit the wake none of your legs are absorbing the energy. When going over rollers you bend at the knee and they act as a suspension for your body. Standing tall means dont allow your body to absorb the wake. Leaping wont do anything as you are basicaly avoiding the top of the wake and lossing power from the water.

Ian Brantford
05-26-2009, 04:08 PM
Standing straight up on the board knees almost locked but rigid so when you hit the wake none of your legs are absorbing the energy. When going over rollers you bend at the knee and they act as a suspension for your body. Standing tall means dont allow your body to absorb the wake. Leaping wont do anything as you are basicaly avoiding the top of the wake and lossing power from the water.

Thanks. You just gave a much better explanation than I have found in years of reading, watching training videos, getting personal instruction from 17-year-old "instructors" with no communication skills, and so forth.

I have tried it both ways, but at least now I know what to keep trying.

BTW, the only other local rider I know, who can now get several feet of air, recommends leaping. :-) Then again, he is in better shape than me, so he could probably make it work regardless.

mmandley
05-27-2009, 10:10 AM
I guess you can leap also if its timed really well but ive been told not to leap it just creates bad posture habits in the long run.

Hootreville
06-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Leaping??? What is that? Anyway I agree with most of the the other posts Alot of it comes down to technique. I have seen people doing inverts behind an I/O with no tower!

insanepolack
06-13-2009, 03:26 PM
Don't look down keep your chin up. Your body goes where you look and if you are looking down you are not gonna go as high as you want.

insanepolack
06-13-2009, 03:27 PM
Congress gives the government sweeping powers over the tobacco industry, including the authority to ban dangerous ingredients in wow gold (http://only4game.com/) products and to limit the way the tobacco is marketed to buy wow gold (http://only4game.com/) consumers, especially young people. President Barack Obama says he is eager to sign the measure into law.

I guess this is spam eh?