PDA

View Full Version : Do moombas require lots of maintance

CWCboater
05-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I keep reading post about boats breaking down fuel lines leaking ballast breaking and replacing impellar every year. I am worried my family just got a 2008 xlv, the problems are in boats with less than 20 hours, should I be worried?

jmvotto
05-19-2009, 02:03 PM
Mine has been maintenance free with the exception of the annual maintenance and the break in oil change.

maxpower220
05-19-2009, 02:08 PM
Impeller is routine maintenance, no matter which brand of motor you have in an inboard. Proper care when putting a boat into storage is another key for any boat to run it's best. The forum is used by people from every part of the U.S. and the world, so you will see all of the problems. I don't post messages saying "my boat is running perfect, please help", most forums don't have those type of posts.
Your boat should not have an issue. But if it does, there are many people who can help through the problems.

sandm
05-19-2009, 03:40 PM
mine hasn't had any more maintenance than my cousin's tige 22ve. both have had similar issues and maintenance costs.

actually quite surprised in this economy that boat dealers aren't offering no-charge service like some of the car companies. could be a deal-breaker to get customers into a new boat with service being a lot of money every year and most being labor..

BensonWdby
05-19-2009, 07:10 PM
Aside from oil changes and winterizing I have the following maintenance history on my 99 Mobius, currently has 293 hours on it.
1. Windshield spreading - never really solved - but more of an annoyance/aesthetics than functional.
2. Bilge pump
3. Gauge Controller
4. Shaft jam nut packing
5. Vent blower
6. Fuel pump
7. Speaker covers (aftermarket, not OE)
8. Vinyl starting to show cracks around seams.
9. Exhaust port flaps.
10. A couple of impellers, but not every year, and not because they failed.

That is about it. Cost of ownership has not been really all that bad. the real issue is labor at the dealer. If you go in for maintenance that you can't or won't do for yourself, if you can get out for under $400 you are probably doing pretty good. Any time I bring it in I expect $500.

My 2cts.
Dave

Sled491
05-19-2009, 08:37 PM
Really the point Maxpower makes is it. What boat doesn't have maintanence? And accidents happen or things just go wrong. I have had to replace a particular hose on my motor 4 times in 3 years. Not sure that has anything to do with Moomba, it is just the enviroment in which I have to use my boat (lets face it I'm not selling my lake house to stop a 50 dollar hose from bursting).