PDA

View Full Version : My Brand new Moomba LS left me dead on the water today....help!!

fastlx
05-17-2009, 08:49 PM
I will be taking it to the dealer next week, but maybe someone can shed some light on this. I was out with the family today, having a great time. I stopped because one of my kids fell of thier tube. I turned around and waited for them to get back on. Just as she did, the check engine light came on and the boat stopped running. It will crank over but no fire. Any thoughts? The boat has 7 hours on it. It ran fine two weeks ago, new gas, winterized properly and everything. Also, it does not register any oil pressure. Is that normal when it is not running? It has plenty of oil in it. Thanks for all your help!!!

smokedog2
05-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Kill switch?, is it in neutral?

If the dealer is a week away, put some water eater stuff in the gas tank. Put a trickle charge on the battery.

At low rpms I think that light is normally on - I have not been out yet this year.

SD2

fastlx
05-17-2009, 10:13 PM
it was out two weeks ago and it ran perfect. Stabil was used in the gas and the kill switch is fine. The check engine light went on and the motor stopped. Like I said, it will crank, but not start.

lancesaville
05-17-2009, 10:39 PM
I will be taking it to the dealer next week, but maybe someone can shed some light on this. I was out with the family today, having a great time. I stopped because one of my kids fell of thier tube. I turned around and waited for them to get back on. Just as she did, the check engine light came on and the boat stopped running. It will crank over but no fire. Any thoughts? The boat has 7 hours on it. It ran fine two weeks ago, new gas, winterized properly and everything. Also, it does not register any oil pressure. Is that normal when it is not running? It has plenty of oil in it. Thanks for all your help!!!

Were you watching your temps? What was the temp when it quit running? Did you have the impeller replaced at winterization? And yeah, oil pressure's not going to register without the engine turning.

zabooda
05-17-2009, 10:56 PM
Check the oil pressure switch.

fastlx
05-17-2009, 11:37 PM
The temp was at 150ish. The impeller was not replaced, should it be? the boat is brand new with 7 hours on it. And where is the oil pressure switch?

lancesaville
05-17-2009, 11:59 PM
The temp was at 150ish. The impeller was not replaced, should it be? the boat is brand new with 7 hours on it. And where is the oil pressure switch?

My dealer told me it's not 'mandatory' but is highly recommended at each winterization. They can occasionally dry out over winter/storage and can possibly crack/shatter when the engine is started, which in turn can clog the cooling system. There's a couple threads about it on this board too I think. Do a search for impeller. Good luck.

mmandley
05-18-2009, 05:21 PM
Another thing you can check is the Electrical connection in the engine bay. Right on the back of the engine is a bank of connections these control the spark computer and fuel injection. If they are lose or get water inside they will not work and cause check engine light. Also on the fuel rail is a pressure relief valve looks like a tire value..ignition switch turned on press it see if you get fuel. Just rules out a no fuel issue.

The good thing is even if the engine ran hot or low on oil pressure if it cranks its not a lost cause the engine shut down before real damage occured. I would be looking for connection issues.
Fuel issues are harder to figure out. I haven't taken the silver thing off my engine intake. < flame arestor whitch we don't have on fuel injection > to see if its jsut a intake. If it is pour a small amount of fuel in it and turn it over if it starts or stumbles like a start its most likely a fuel issue.

Check for spark to rule electrical system out.

All an engine needs even with fuel injection is Spark Air and Fuel.

If you know you have spark air and fuel then its a serious problem.

Fare shot here = my old camero < same engine > would run great and when i shut her off she wouldn't start for hours. Found out condensation was getting into the distributor cap and condensation would get on the connections. After a few hours the condensation would go away and bam she started and ran great again.

Sled491
05-19-2009, 09:07 PM
Tether cord? They are on the same panel and the motor will still turn over with it pulled, just won't start.

fastlx
05-21-2009, 08:59 PM
Well its at the shop now. Will know more tomorrow. the safety line was still attached and I even took it off and reattached it with no results.

jester
05-21-2009, 10:16 PM
If it only has 7 hours on it did you do the breakin before starting to pull people on the tub?

fastlx
05-23-2009, 10:37 AM
yes I did the breakin. they said 5 hours, I did 6. and they say that it was an electrical code that caused the shut down. it fired right up after the code was cleared. I dont feel good about it since there was no "fix"

momosmoomba
05-23-2009, 10:48 AM
im not sure what they did to clear the code but i know on some vehicle engines that i have worked on in the past. if you pull the negative cable off the battery for a few minutes then it will reset the vehicles computer..... not sure if that works on boats but if it left you stranded i would take a few tools next time to the lake just in case. im new to this site but not to being a mechanic. good luck.

mmandley
05-23-2009, 10:36 PM
5 hour break in? WOW i did 10 on mine before pulling anyone. It said something like 1st hour under 1K 2nd hour under 2k 3rd hour under 3k and so on then when i reached 4k is said something like no WOT till 10 hours and not recommended to do any heavy pulling. Id have to check my owners manual again but i know we ended up doing 10 hours before we put tubes and boaders behind ours.

Glad you got it fixed and hope it was free being so new and all. Yea i never like a no start situation with no root causes.