PDA

View Full Version : trans cooler failure 08 LSV

danimal95
05-17-2009, 04:36 PM
ran into some trouble with the boat today,took it out this afternoon for the 5th time this season and when we parked to eat some lunch the bilge kicked on,which was odd to begin with,then i noticed that the water coming out of the bilge was red in color,so i opened up the hatch and noticed the entire sump area around the bilge was trans fluid and water mix.so after getting towed in and the boat home i started to look more closely and the trans was completly filled with water......so logic told me that the trans cooler was the culprit as that is the only place the trans could possibly be getting comtaminated with water,so after removing and pressuer testing it i have determined that the cooler is internally leaking.

Now i realize that everyone will instantly think that the cooler was not winterized properly,but they would be mistaken,they boat was winterized by me and let it be known i am a mechanic by trade and have winterized several boats ,so with detailed instructions that i recieved directly from skiers choice,moomba,i took care of that myself.also the boat is kept in a climate controlled garage all winter...plus this happedened on the 5th time out this season.

so what i am looking for is how to flush all the water out of the trans when i put it back together,i have already blow through one trans line with compressed air forcing most of the water out of the other,but it seems there may still be a small amount in there,any help would be appreciated

kaneboats
05-20-2009, 12:56 PM
I can't think of any way to do it except to fill it and run it and then change the fluid out a couple of times.

moombadaze
05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
thats going to be tough if there is no drain on the bottom of the trans. if you do find a drain bolt i would recomend flushing the trans will lots of trans fluid to get all that water out.

kaneboats
05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
That's why it's going to take a couple of times. You can let it get hotter each time.

danimal95
05-28-2009, 01:15 PM
well i was able to get 99% of the water out of the trans with aa suction gun from napa,total pain in the ass...then i replace the trans cooler and it took over 4 gallons of trans fluid to completly flush the water out.took it to lake wisconsin over the weekend and put over 12 hrs on it with no problems:D

i spoke to the dealer and of coarse they arent going to warranty it:rolleyes:i asked the lead tech what i could do to prevent this from happening next year he said to obviously drain the cooler,which i did,but to also blow some compressed air into the drain hole to purge any water that may not have come out through the drain,pretty good idea,so to all you diy'ers you may want to consider this