PDA

View Full Version : Herniated Disc and wakeboarding / waterskiing

Petite_Lake
05-15-2009, 05:00 PM
is it ok to waterski and wake board after having a herniated disc? its been a few months and most symptoms are gone and the strength is back.

mmandley
05-15-2009, 06:03 PM
I haven't had a herniated disk yet but i have L4 and L5 issues. I had syatic nerve pain for 1 year from them and was in traction and all kinds of other things last year because all the back problems i have.

My DR said if im not in pain im ok then but stop as soon as i feel discomfort. Now i haven't exactly successful on the water yet lol.

I would check with your DR and tell him what kinds of tricks or runs you plan on so he can determine the stresses on your back. My DR also game me a flexible back brace that adjusts and goes around my mid section and lower to mid back to wear under my vest to help keep unwanted flexing and motion down.

zabooda
05-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I found out a few weeks ago that I have some herniated disks also. I haven't played basketball all winter but my mountain biking and dirt bike riding have strangely been OK. I hope to get my skiing in this year as well but I may have back pain while doing it.

Mikey
05-15-2009, 11:53 PM
I went through bulged and herniated discs L4 L5 with sciatica down to the ankle for nearly two yrs, but still managed to waterski. My doctor was aware of this and he too was sceptical but open minded enough to say as long as i was careful and pay attention to pain i could continue cautiously. Time ,chiropractic, a back health clinic, physio acupunture and a ton of core strenghtening and an inversion table and some 7yrs later i am usually pain free.
If i don't keep up with core strenghtening exercises i feel the sciatica flare up every so often.
I did give up on wakeboarding during this period due to the very quick situations that can occur ie. fall on your face where as waterskiing to me is way more controlled and most falls can be avoided if skiing with caution.I took my skiing down a few notches but at least i continued to ski.
Its all what you are comfortable with so hopefully you can continue and ENJOY.

zabooda
05-16-2009, 02:14 AM
My sciatic nerve was an issue for many years and I would use the Roman chair (inverted sit ups) but I knew something else was wrong when the pain didn't go away. i need to look into a chiropractor.

Mikey
05-16-2009, 07:04 PM
I go once a month weather i need it or not just too stay tuned up so to speak and i would highly recommend it. Just find one YOU feel comfortable with and really only adjust what needs to be adjusted only.I don't have my neck done unless absolutely necessary as i really don't like the sound and could be other issues if not done right. As for back adjustments they really help keep me moving and sciatica time to a minimal.

Sled491
05-19-2009, 09:24 PM
My wife sprained her back 2 yrs ago water skiing. She did still get up on doubles to help teach, and did get one slalom in just to say she did. All this last summer about 10 mnths after the injury. PS she also surfed all summer with no probs, but bottom line is what your DR. says is OK.

kaneboats
05-20-2009, 12:26 PM
Ibuprofen before you go out can really help. It is an anti-inflammatory medication that goes to the source of inflammation. I have the bad knees but my li'l brother has the bad back. We both take it and it really helps.

Mikey
05-20-2009, 11:10 PM
I live on Advil and when i get them down your way Aleve works wonders as well. Just take only when necessary a they get hard on the stomach.

Sled491
05-21-2009, 08:48 AM
When I was 15 I crushed my ankle and broke my leg in 3 places. I lived on Tylenol 3 for over a year. After that they began to ease me back off the stuff (man I love codine :) ). Bottom line is that today Tylenol is the pain reliever of choice for me and my stomach can tolerate a lot of it! Now what my liver has to say about that is a different story.