PDA

View Full Version : doh! melted wires/plug

tlatoani
05-14-2009, 06:47 PM
I learned a lesson today about trying to do a fast job. I didn't have much time, but I tried to put in my dual battery charger. I grabbed a ground wire and screwed it to the positive terminal. Oops. I caught it pretty fast, but it melted a few wires and a plug under the dash. (pic attached). Should I just cut the wires and bypass the plug, or will that cause problems?

thanks

mmandley
05-14-2009, 07:09 PM
The plug is there for ease of change and upgrades / maintenance. By passing it only makes it harder later. Id cut the plug out and go to the local electrical shop Home Depot or Lowels might have those but i doubt it. You can then buy the new plug. Course you will have to buy the connectors and probly a crimping tool also.

At the very least you need to cut the plug out then reattach the wires exactly as before and id add some water proof connectors and heat shrink on it. Heat shrink is simple to use if you haven't used it before. Just cut the heat shrink to fit over the wire splice and then use a lighter in tight places to heat it up and it will do the rest.

tlatoani
05-14-2009, 09:00 PM
Hmm. Maybe I will run by radio shack tomorrow to see what they have. I do have some crimp connectors that may work for the short term. My buddy is in town visiting and we were hoping to do our first trip of the season. Too bad it keeps getting cold every weekend.