PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Makeover

Razzman
05-14-2009, 11:40 AM
So i finally finished for the most part, still need to finalize my new sub box to reatain it on top of the footrest yet accomodate the needs of the Polk 10" DVC sub, the Memphis 10" sub is still rockin' it for now. I retained the four JBL Audio P693 Power Series 6X9's (http://www.jbl.com/car/products/product_detail.aspx?prod=P963&Language=ENG&Country=US&Region=USA&cat=MEL&ser=POS) as they put out some serious sound! I did have to pull four new strands of 16ga to the tower for each one, not to bad though. So here's what i did, forgot to get a shot of the matching transom remote though, dang!

Polk MoMo MMC 650 6.5" interior speakers. These things are super sweet! Crystal clear sound when driven with the proper power!

Razzman
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
Amps (uncarpeted and carpeted), Remotes and bass knob (hidden under dash).

Razzman
05-14-2009, 11:43 AM
DUH! Shoulda posted this under Mods!

kaneboats
05-14-2009, 11:43 AM
Very nice. Like the finished look.

mmandley
05-14-2009, 07:03 PM
I like it Razz.

Couple questions.

What amp is running your tower? I am shopping for tower speakers and jsut cant figure out what i want.

On your 6x9s whats the little box hanging off them? Is that a cross over? Also if those are in the tower does that box go inside and does it rattle? What did you do to make it not rattle?

Did you put the Polks threw the entire interior? 6 total? What power rating is that amp?

Thanks

Razzman
05-14-2009, 07:35 PM
mmandley, I'll try and answer 'em one at a time below :p;

What amp is running your tower?
Kicker ZX650.4 / 4 channel tested to 677 watts peak obviously wired in at one 6X9 per channel

I am shopping for tower speakers and jsut cant figure out what i want.
These JBL's are loud and really handle the power

On your 6x9s whats the little box hanging off them? Is that a cross over?
Exactly

Also if those are in the tower does that box go inside and does it rattle?
No rattle at all in my Loud Liquid 'glass box

What did you do to make it not rattle?
Bought Velcro Extreme at Home Depot, velcroed the crossovers right to the speaker magnet. Doesn't move!

Did you put the Polks threw the entire interior? 6 total?
Exactly, didn't think they'd fit the bow but they did with a very slight mod

What power rating is that amp?
If you mean the interior amp, Kicker ZX700.5 / 5 channel tested to 976 watts peak. Ran the four rear cabins parallel on CH 1/2, the bow speakers on CH 3/4 and sub on the Class D channel

newty
05-14-2009, 08:57 PM
Nicely done!

mmandley
05-14-2009, 09:05 PM
Sweet thanks Razz im trying to do different things and im pretty fare out of sync with the stereo market. I know how to install it all but jsut dont know whats really good for my money.

I need to find a good 6x9 tower set up singles for now. Get that done this summer and then i can start looking into the other upgrades for tunes.

I am already working on trying to find a local boat place to buy parts at like the 12v power plug to replace the rear light pole plug, and then i want to get that flip over bow light like the Supra has, leds, swim deck cover, and i realy like Newty's handle around his swim deck.

Just have this cash flow problem..my mind spends it faster then my hands make it LOL. I hate to use my credit cards. So easy to get in a jam with those bad boys

jjerrod
05-14-2009, 09:35 PM
nice, how did you fasten the mounting board that the amps are mounted on to the boat? I am currently trying to find a place to mount my amp on my 02 outback.

Razzman
05-14-2009, 09:50 PM
Thanks Newty!

Mmandley, Don't know what your budget is for tower speakers but best bang for the buck imo is the kicker KMT6 setup, can be had all over ebay for around $250 and these suckers really put out some sound if driven right. You could get an amp, speakers and all neccessary stuff for around $500!

I put the flip-up bow light on mine last year, Overton's has them now, Aqua Signal.

Newty has a handle around the swimstep ala Supra?! OK i gotta see that one!

Razzman
05-14-2009, 09:58 PM
nice, how did you fasten the mounting board that the amps are mounted on to the boat? I am currently trying to find a place to mount my amp on my 02 outback.

To the reinforcing rib on the floor and the rubrail backing block at the top via custom brackets. Props to Newty for that info. :D

jjerrod
05-14-2009, 11:08 PM
thanks for the info. I am going to try this cheap 1800W 5 channel. For the budget hopefully it will be decent.

http://www.millionbuy.com/boscx1800.html

newty
05-14-2009, 11:39 PM
Grab rail pics

mmandley
05-15-2009, 01:19 AM
Razz 500 is the budget i want to stay in right now. I figure i can upgrade to better later on but i want something to use for this summer for sure.

Ill be looking into that.

Yea Newty has a nice swim deck railing. I am going to pick his brain next time i see him as to what i have to do to get that done LOL.

Ok Razz this is what im thinking..

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=8909 amp for the cabin speakers and use the factory kicker for the tower speakers.

Or http://www.amazon.com/Kicker-07MX3504-4X90-Watt-Four-Channel-Amplifier/dp/B000OYM2LW/ref=sr_1_10/182-4754380-7944558?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1242365816&sr=1-10 to stick with all Kicker amps

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=8819 tower speakers.

newty
05-15-2009, 01:52 AM
mmandley stay away from Clarion amps. They are way over rated. I would go with kicker if I were you. For the money they are the best bang for the buck! I've heard great things about those tower speakers though.
Check these guys out. I've always had good luck with them and are usually the lowest price around.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

Here is what I would run to those towers.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_6571_Kicker+ZX450.2.html

There was a post on Wakeworld regarding ideal power for these tower speakers and one of the main marketing guys for Kicker Phil White recommended this amp for that application.
A very informative thread. Read through about the first 1/2 and you will get the idea.
http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/664074.html?1242150676

You will be far happier if you do it right the frist time.
Just remember its only money, you'll make more!:p

Razzman
05-15-2009, 09:15 AM
As Newty says run with Kicker, awesome stuf made for the long haul. And he's right about the Clarion amps, nothing but trouble!

If i remember right it's the Kicker ZX450.2 he recommends for the KTM6 setup but let me check.

Phil White from Kicker is just one cool dude, to make himself available to the forums is just awesome. I remember two years ago when he first showed on the Tigé forum i just thought he was one of those stereo now-it-all dudes, couldn't have been more correct! :p

Razzman
05-15-2009, 09:18 AM
Oops didn't notice Newty beat me to it, again! :p Anyway run the ZX450.2 to the KTM6 speakers and you won't be sorry!

mmandley
05-15-2009, 06:20 PM
Sweet deal i think ill most likly do that. I got Vetoed on ordering anything last night =(

GF said i have to wait till Saturday because we are goign to Demo Days and she said you know if you order sterio stuff that you realy dont need, only want then you might see a nice board Saturday and be mad your out of play money LOL.

Dam i hate it when she pulls my budget reasoning card out..

tazz3069
05-15-2009, 07:10 PM
I ordered all my Kicker amps from ebay. Look at my pictures. I think that we all have a very similar set up. I am very happy with the Kicker amps. If they are hooked up correctly, you should not have any problems. I've had mine in for about a year now and zero problems. Amps do not get hot at all. I have had Clarion before and wasn't really happy with them. Plus it was getting really hot. I am only speaking from experience. I am sure there are some boat owners that love clarion. I am not knocking the product at all. I just really like my Kicker amps.

jmvotto
05-15-2009, 09:13 PM
MMandley,

great site techronics let me know how it works out , soniceletronix is good as well. Saw my JL M6600 on there for a great price:mad: i paid alot more than that. I use it to power cabins, tower and sub and use Hu for the bow.. One amp very simple sounds great.

Razz, nice clean setup, where are your batteries mounted, mine were moved in the install and not too happy were they ended up. I wanted the momo's but could not pass up the db651's:D

Razzman
05-18-2009, 11:39 PM
JM my batts are side by side pushed as far forward in the storage compartment as possible in order to maximize storage under the dash.

I gota a killer deal on the momo's @ $70 a pair almost six months ago from Crutchfield, couldn't pass it up! :D

montanamoomba
05-18-2009, 11:53 PM
Stay away from SonicElectronics...... I ordered 5 pairs of the Polk DB650's over a month ago. They are still on backorder and they keep trying to get me to go with a cheaper speaker just to make the sale.

Ordered an amp at the same time which they sent, charged me for shipping for the amp and the speakers. I still have not been able to get the shipping back on the speakers.

Looks like i will have to go to Crutchfield for the speakers if I can get my shipping back from sonic.....

Just my two cents.......

mmandley
05-19-2009, 05:12 AM
OK so after hours of exhaustive research and such i think i have desided to buy some

T series Fusion speakers.

http://www.floatingtoys.com/catalog/detail/TS-514C

I found them on Ebay but the link to them is long.

Power them with

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/5508848/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046?gclid=CLLe_MuIx5oCFRlcagodci6s3Q

Let me know what yall think of those speakers.

Also there is the

http://www.floatingtoys.com/catalog/detail/TS-3WC-C

they have blue LEDs around them but you cant see them in the pics. These would require a bigger amp too i think.

jmvotto
05-19-2009, 07:01 AM
Razz, did the battery move leave a void in the floor. MY obv has a rectangle cut out in the floor for the battery which makes it difficult to move. or leaves a hole which i don't like.

Razzman
05-19-2009, 10:10 AM
JM the LSV's don't have the batt "box" in the floor like the OBV. I don't know why they did that, if it was mine i'd pull the carpet and either put a seaboard lid on it or just foam-n-resin it over. When space is at a premium why put the batt(s) right in the way?

Razzman
05-19-2009, 10:13 AM
Mmandley, the Fusions are prone to chrome peeling issues big time. There's been more than just a few posts about those on Wakeworld. If your going to spend that much then go with the Bullet Hollow Points. Second you don't want 5 1/4" speakers either.

mmandley
05-19-2009, 04:10 PM
Well i wasn't looking to spend what you see on that website. I found them on Ebay for 160 a pair. The company went out of business and is liquidating there inventory.

They come in black also.

They also have for 350 those 3 ways that are linked.
This link is what looks to be there all aluminum cases. More then what i was looking to spend but i would spend the extra if its worth it.
http://cgi.ebay.com/WAKEBOARD-TOWER-SPEAKERS-NEW-FUSION-WAKE_W0QQitemZ220414052625QQihZ012QQcategoryZ15272 QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

I did find

http://www.thefind.com/sports/browse-monster-wakeboard#page=2&local=0

Cant decide on Kicker Polk or Wetsounds speaker set up. Im looking at the Single Bullets.

newty
05-19-2009, 08:11 PM
mmandley Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
Stay away from Fusion.
I've had nothing but problems with mine. I know they sound ok but you will def kick youself later.
1. No warranty
2. Bad finish
3. Overpriced replacement speakers. (replacement tweeter $85).
4. Can not buy replacement speakers from Diamond. You have to go through a dealer. Dealers don't want to sell you a diamond replacement speaker unless you buy the overpriced set ($160 or more).
5. X-over eats tweeters for lunch
6. Clamps strip out.
7. Don't buy Fusion Stuff.
8. Run, run fast!
Stick with the Kicker. Just wait a couple months and save your money.
Did I mention, DONT BUY FUSION STUFF?

Sled491
05-19-2009, 08:21 PM
Very nice! Sweet:)

mmandley
05-20-2009, 05:49 AM
OK so i finally decided to get this set up

Kicker 700.5 to run my 6 interior speakers and sub

Kicker 450.2 to run my tower speakers

KMT6 Tower speakers.

Those two amps will replace my factory amps Kicker 200.2 and Kicker 200.4 so im expecting a lot more sound very soon.

Thanks Newty and Razz for your advise and helping me out here.

Also got word today my Z5 rack has finally been made my Skiers Choice and is in the mail so looks like next week will be a busy for the UPS guy to my house.

Ill post new updated pics of Fierah when i get all that gear installed

Razzman
05-20-2009, 09:07 AM
Mmandley, way to go! You won't be dissapointed! Just glad we didn't have to have a Fusion intervention! :p

jester
05-20-2009, 11:37 AM
mmandley Noooooooooooooooooooooo!
Stay away from Fusion.
I've had nothing but problems with mine. I know they sound ok but you will def kick youself later.
1. No warranty
2. Bad finish
3. Overpriced replacement speakers. (replacement tweeter $85).
4. Can not buy replacement speakers from Diamond. You have to go through a dealer. Dealers don't want to sell you a diamond replacement speaker unless you buy the overpriced set ($160 or more).
5. X-over eats tweeters for lunch
6. Clamps strip out.
7. Don't buy Fusion Stuff.
8. Run, run fast!
Stick with the Kicker. Just wait a couple months and save your money.
Did I mention, DONT BUY FUSION STUFF?

Newty,
I feel some hate in this fourm about fusion. I have been running a set of fusion tower speakers without any issues. I have had to replace my Kicker amp twice to solve a feedback issues. Just my 2 cents. Still nothing wrong with Kicker. They make good amps.

Razzman
05-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Jester, no hate, just the facts. No doubt not everyone is going to have these issues with Fusions but a good many will. Seen it too many times and other forums are full of Fusion problems. Good idea & looks, but bad execution is what it boils down to is all.

newty
05-20-2009, 01:23 PM
Jester I do like my Fusions, don't get me wrong, but... knowing what I know now I would have never bought them. Not worth the headaches I've had with them.

Begin rant:
I used to sell them when I had my marine audio buisness!! There customer sevice was terrible, and the product is second rate (compared to some of the other top guys out there).
Even when they were in buisness there warranty was garbage. You could never get a hold of anyone, and they never returned phone calls. It took 9 months to get a new mirror clamp warrantied and sent to me. When they did it was the wrong size! Just an example of some of the crap I delt with. So its no suprise Fusion went under.
So yea a little hate but its all based my experience and interaction with Fusion. Not on others experiences.
In my opinion = not good.
End rant.
I'm stoked if folks out there still have good working fusion equipment, but know I'll never buy fusion stuff again, and if I can help it I don't want other folks to either.
Part of the beauty of these forums is we can bounce ideas off of each other, and talk about experiences we've had with companys and products. This is mine.:p

Razzman
05-20-2009, 01:34 PM
Part of the beauty of these forums is we can bounce ideas off of each other, and talk about experiences we've had with companys and products. This is mine.:p

Amen Newty, that's a good part of what it's all about :) So you were in the audio indusrty? No wonder you're stuff is so clean!

newty
05-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Yea It started as a hobby in high school then it was favors for friends then turned into weekend jobs. It was fun but I was only busy when it was nice outside and it took a lot of time away from my family. Especially while holding down a full time job.
If I had a shop it might have been better but here in the NW, when fall comes around the boat stereo buisness dries up.

Sled491
05-21-2009, 04:14 PM
So if I understand everyone correctly, no to fusions?

Razzman
05-21-2009, 04:18 PM
That would be an affirmative! :p

Sled491
05-21-2009, 04:21 PM
I don't have a tower, but I just wanted to sure just in case:)

newty
05-21-2009, 11:16 PM
Smart Arse!!:p

Sled491
05-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Wha wha what! Me :)

kaneboats
05-22-2009, 10:23 AM
Had a friend that used to say, "I'd rather be a smart arse than a Dumas!"

Sled491
05-25-2009, 08:05 PM
KB, you trying to say something here?

newty
05-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Kick his ass sea bass!

Sled491
05-26-2009, 06:26 PM
Wow Newty, didn't think you had such an itchy trigger finger :)

newty
05-26-2009, 10:18 PM
LOL, I almost fell out of my chair when I read that!!:p
That was funny. Good stuff on here!.

Sled491
05-26-2009, 10:19 PM
Hey Like I always say, that's what were here for...comic relief!

mmandley
05-27-2009, 12:58 AM
Woot ok got the new amps in today. Got them installed and sounds a lot better. The cabin speakers are rocking now.

The sub im concerned about. Its a Kicker C10 and i have it on the sub output of the Kicker ZX 700.5

The sub has 4 wires ran from it. Red White and Green Black. RW is + and the WG is - I assume the dealer did this because they ran a 4 wire loom and used both sets to make the transfer of the signal stronger.

My issue is it jsut seems the sub isn't hitting hard unless i pump a lot of extra bass into it. Turning the Bass up using the Gain and extra Bass on the amp. Then cranking the remote bass volume nob all the way up.

Can i bridge this 1 sub channel? Would i mix the + and - off the sub going to the amp?

Little lost for options.

Razzman
05-27-2009, 01:30 AM
C10's kick some butt and the class D channel is the 700.5 puts more than enough juice for it. I gather it's a Comp 10 4ohm single voice coil? I don't get the two wires thingy. What size is the wire? It should be at least 12 ga and preferably 10ga wire. I've installed three of those and all sounded great.

mmandley
05-27-2009, 08:51 AM
Yes its the 4ohm style speaker. It was hitting really good on the Kicker 200.2 that was bridged. I added some padding behind the speaker to fill in the open hole, i really didn't want to use spray foam in fear i would need to access that area. I used some extra padding i had. Just lightly filled the area in behind it. Im not suffocating the speaker am i?

The wire it pretty thin to be honest. Id say 16 possibly 12 guage, its the standard multi loom stereo shops are using, its in a whit jacket. Looks a lot like phone cable to be honest lol.

I could pull some 12 or larger threw if thats the real issue. I was able to pull the Bass voluum control cable threw the ski locker and stuff.

Thanks Moomba owners. I used a tip for running wires from port to starboard with out being able to see it or drill new holes.

Razzman
05-27-2009, 10:22 AM
I'm going to take a stab at this. I'd like Newty to weigh in on this also but here's some questions & observations ...

1) So you've placed the sub in the footrest correct?
2) It was there before and worked ok?
3) The wire is a joke, pull some 10ga to it!
4) Check the amp settings! Check the amp settings! Check the amp settings!
5) Make sure to set the crossover hz to around 80 to start on the face knob.
Make sure all head unit settings are flat and then with the gain set low turn the volume until it distorts, turn back volume a bit and bring up gain until distortion then back just a tad. Then you can adjust head unit to taste for the sub. This is the same procedure for all speakers, don't know how well you'll detect distortion in the sub though in the footrest.
6) Pull the padding and reinforce the open end better, Kickers are not free air subs and a good sub with any power needs a solid backing.

Btw, the ZX200.2 is putting out 200w bridged @ 4ohms, the ZX700.5 blows that away so it's not that.

mmandley
05-27-2009, 10:27 AM
1) So you've placed the sub in the footrest correct? Yes the normal spot at your feet.

2) It was there before and worked ok? Yes but had the hollow sound. I want it to sound fuller and deeper with a harder hit. Newty suggested i fill it in behind to take out the hollow hits it has.

3) The wire is a joke, pull some 10ga to it! Will do i have plenty of cable from my 12inch house sub. Monster Cable.

4) Check the amp settings! Check the amp settings! Check the amp settings! Ok will do

5) Make sure to set the crossover hz to around 80 to start on the face knob.
Make sure all head unit settings are flat and then with the gain set low turn the volume until it distorts, turn back volume a bit and bring up gain until distortion then back just a tad. Then you can adjust head unit to taste for the sub. This is the same procedure for all speakers, don't know how well you'll detect distortion in the sub though in the footrest. Ok i was planning on working on this today when it warms up a little outside. Last night at 10pm i didnt think my neighbors wanted to hear my boat.

6) Pull the padding and reinforce the open end better, Kickers are not free air subs and a good sub with any power needs a solid backing. Ok i got some other stuff thats real solid i just didn't want to suffocate the back side of the sub. Ill get it packed tight now.

Thanks Razz.

Razzman
05-27-2009, 11:03 AM
Newty is right, i miss interpreted the meaning. Yeah if you pad it with something it'll make acousticlly better. What did you use? The problem is filler such as poly fill fools the sub into thinking it's in a larger enclosure as well as deadening.

I waited to tune mine until i was at the lake it was so loud!

The Kicker C10 work real well in a .75cf enclosure with around 400 watts to it. .75cf would be 12.5" cubed, obviously you can't get that but i'm sure it would be close. You've got the power so you need to work on the space. you could try filling the end with foam-in-a-can and closing off the opening from the ski locker end so that you can remove when neccessary. Dunno maybe Newty has some ideas

mmandley
05-27-2009, 11:40 AM
Right now i filled it with wool packing. Its really solid and since its got a soft feature it acts as a deadner. I can get the spray foam but there is wires and the heater box right there. I am just concerned if i fill it in with a spray foam then in a year i will need access and it will be hard to get that stuff out of there.

Newty used spray foam in his he told me.

The standard 700.5 sub channel is 200 i think. Is it bridgeable? Or do i even need to do that? Im going to run that new Monster cable. Not sure if i want to block off the tube threw the Ski locker yet eighter because i might run some more things threw it.

Razzman
05-27-2009, 12:05 PM
Bridging is between two channels, the sub channel is a single Class D.

mmandley
05-27-2009, 02:13 PM
OK cool thanks Razz.

Ok just got done checking it all out.

Issue with the low volume on the sub was High Pass X-over switches were on. Must of came in the box like that and i missed it or something. Turned those off and it started hitting pretty decent.

Next i pulled the sub out and repacked the space behind it with some realy dense wool/cotton non flammable material i had from another old car system i ran. That was a pain to get it all in there but it fit and i made a little sot for the speaker voice coil to sit.

Also ran a 12 gauge monster cable to the sub. Fish it threw the ski locker so its all invisible.

After those changes i dialed it in like ya said, playing lots of different tunes for different bass beats and ended up setting the X-over around 120 gain is 70% Bass Boost is 15on amp.

Then turned the gain all the way down to listen to the cabin speakers and got them set. There set a bit low due to that amp really pushing them. They get so loud now i think they might over power the sub lol.

So after lots of tinkering i think i got it as dialed in as i can in the garage. Have to wait till its on the water to see how the boat drowns out mids and highs to adjust them. Right now the HU is +2 bass 0 mid and 0 treb.

Sounds really good now and hits real hard like i was hoping.

This weekend should be the tower speakers. Little worried about them. I am real nervous were i need to drill the holes and how to get the speaker wire down the tubes into the boat for the amp hook up. I got that amp all installed but have to remove the battery to connect the tower speaker wires since that corner of the amp is behind a battery. Ill get some photos this weekend and post them so you can see my work.

Razzman
05-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Real cool! I'm glad that did it! :D

When drilling for tower speakers there's four truisms as i see it;
1) The first hole is the hardest! :p
2) Drill the hole taking in mind future upgrades, as hidden as possible.
3) Make sure & double make sure it's where you want!
4) Pull more wire than you need! There's nothing worse than finding out it's to short and you have to do it all over!

Here's a few tips to help;
1) tape the crap out of the area your drilling in case the bit skates!
2) Use a plastic grocery bag or such and tape it below the drill areas to catch the aluminum shavings otherwise you'll be picking those out of the carpet for months!
3) Debur your holes otherwise you'll strip the insulation right off of your speaker wires!
4) Make sure to cover the exposed wiring with split loom or such and shove into the holes at least 4-6" so it doesn't come back out.

That's it, go for it! :p

newty
05-27-2009, 06:24 PM
Sorry I just got on and saw this. Sounds like you have it. I beleive what you have is A kicker comp CVR and its a dual voice coil. It should have 4 wire teminals on the back. I typically only run 1 wire to the sub and then split off the terminal from positive to positive and neg to neg. That keeps and confusion down at the amp. The sub side of that amp is made specifically to power Comp cvr's (like you have) and L-5's. So you coundn't have done it better if you tried. Be very careful pulling that sub in and out. That baffle is very thin and screws will strip out in that material very easily. Ideally you will need a good sealed enclosure eventually. That design has left a lot to be desired. Not the right sub for the enclosure and even if you did have the right sub the enclosure is not really a free air type enclosure. That and with the construction of the foot rest being thin and not really made to produce sound, its kind of a temporary good for the guy who really doesn't turn his radio up and only puts 10 hours a year on his boat. But for me and many others I love a good quality sound, so I like to do it right.

mmandley
05-27-2009, 07:07 PM
Newty there ya are man, missed ya lol.

Yea i notices the material around the sub strips out i had to turn the sub 15% to compensate for 2 striped bolts the first time i removed it from when they bolted it up. Got it squared away.

Yes this winter i will for sure be picking some brains and such on how to build a much better sub enclosure for the boat. This will hold for the summer but i know i want better already lol.

As for the tower wiring.

What is Make sure to cover the exposed wiring with split loom or such and shove into the holes at least 4-6" so it doesn't come back out.

Is this the black flexable plastic tubing you can get? I have some but its way to big if for the wires in the boat cabin.

By chance can i get a few pics of places that are good to drill the holes? I assume i need 4 or 5 holes.

Two at the top to run wire to both speaker sets.
One at the lower end of the tower were is hinges to fold down
One at the top of the lower section below the hinge that allows you to fold it down.
One thew the Boat at the tower base to run the wire into the cabin for the amp?

Also where would i be able to get that plastic wire covering in small diameters?

Razzman
05-27-2009, 08:15 PM
As for the tower wiring.

What is Make sure to cover the exposed wiring with split loom or such and shove into the holes at least 4-6" so it doesn't come back out. Answer in next question

Is this the black flexable plastic tubing you can get? I have some but its way to big if for the wires in the boat cabin. Exactly. I drilled 1/2" holes and used 1/2" black slpit loomb but then i did run 4 sets of wires too. You can mimick the other side if you'll only have two speakers. Spread it apart and insert the wires exposed outside of tower, just like your tower anchor light.

By chance can i get a few pics of places that are good to drill the holes? I assume i need 4 or 5 holes.

Two at the top to run wire to both speaker sets. Exactly. Mine is different as i have a 'glass box that stretches across the tower. I run one bundle into the box from one hole up top.
One at the lower end of the tower were is hinges to fold down same place as other side for anchor light.
One at the top of the lower section below the hinge that allows you to fold it down. same place as other side for anchor light.
One thew the Boat at the tower base to run the wire into the cabin for the amp? Before you rush that one climb in the hole and look and see if it's already there!

Also where would i be able to get that plastic wire covering in small diameters? Home Depot, Lowes, Radio Shack, any electrical supply store, auto parts

mmandley
05-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Heres a pic of my Amps now. The batteries are out in this pic and you cant see my CB protection as it wasnt installed till after the batteries went in.

newty
05-28-2009, 12:57 AM
Attaway! Looks almost like you knew what you were doing.;)

mmandley
05-28-2009, 01:04 AM
Thanks. That means a lot to me comming from you Newty =) Only thing different is the very top wires for the Sub are now Monster cables. Ill get some pics of it after i get the tower speakers in and the batteries back in it. Hope to get that done Saturday so we can jam out Sunday on the water.

cab13367
05-29-2009, 12:54 PM
This weekend should be the tower speakers. Little worried about them. I am real nervous were i need to drill the holes and how to get the speaker wire down the tubes into the boat for the amp hook up. I got that amp all installed but have to remove the battery to connect the tower speaker wires since that corner of the amp is behind a battery. Ill get some photos this weekend and post them so you can see my work.

Mike,

Glad to see that Razz and Newty are helping you out. They know their stuff!

Regarding the tower speaker install, I did that last year - check out the post below. I think you will find it helpful.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=5467&highlight=tower+speaker+install

Let me know if you have any questions.

Good luck.

Al

Razzman
05-29-2009, 01:34 PM
Heres a pic of my Amps now. The batteries are out in this pic and you cant see my CB protection as it wasnt installed till after the batteries went in.

Looks good! There's only one thing i see i could recommend. Tie up all your wiring so it doesn't move around when the boats in motion. Over time it can fatigue the terminations and break strands or completely break, otherwise great job! Now get those tower speakers done! :p

mmandley
05-29-2009, 06:09 PM
Thanks Cab thats exactly what i was looking for is pictures of drill hole locations to give me an idea of were to drill. I surly hope i don't have to remove my tower. I really hate the idea of doing that.

Razz, I have all the wires tight at the amp. I have them tucked behind the amp board and coming out to the amp.

Also on the floor where it runs behind the batteries its all zipped and i used Loop mounting brackets for wires to hole them to the wall also. When you say tighten them up are you meaning mount them to the amp board right before they hook to the amp? So there's no vibrations t those points?

Razzman
05-29-2009, 06:15 PM
Yeah, just mounted to the board should do.

mmandley
05-29-2009, 06:21 PM
Cool Razz it will have to wait till i get my towers in. There's no way im crawling back in that hole for something that small LOL. My GF cracks up at my contortionist impression when im going in there to work on anything already lol.

Checked UPS and dam towers arnt even shipped yet from the company i bought them from. grumble grumble.

At least i got the rest done so we can jam near the boat. The people in the water will have to be happy listening the rumble of the 350 V8

jester
05-29-2009, 06:26 PM
Mike,

Just watch out for the GF when she pulls out a camera to video you working on the amps.

mmandley
05-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Ohh yes i know. She loves to take photos, hince why she isnt in a lot of them. But luckily i upload and post everything so i can to monitor them that way.

She does like to do cruel things like tickle me or toss ice chips at me from her drink. Since im in that hole i cant just jump right up, or out lol.

Razzman
05-29-2009, 06:35 PM
I hate the hole! This one is worse than my last boat and it was a closed bow! :mad:

jester
05-29-2009, 07:52 PM
Ya i know about that hole. I have gotten stuck before and that was not good. Next time i do anywork in there i will remove the batterys.

Mike that GF sounds like a keeper. Have to watchout for woman like that.

Northofthe49th
05-31-2009, 03:05 AM
Which way do you recomend splitting a four channel amp to six speakers
I'v been reading your posts for info and getting ready to install six momo's
and a four ch amp 720watts would love to do your set up but two kids in university is killing the bank account.my head unit is a sony xplod
Thanks

Razzman
05-31-2009, 09:14 AM
Northofthe49th, no problem to do that. Parallel wire the four main cabin speakers to channels 1 & 2. In otherwords run the wires from the port side pair to channel 1, and the starboard pair to channel 2. Now connect the two bow speakers to channels 3 (port) & 4 (starboard). Tune your amp to the main cabin speakers as they'll be recieving more power than the bow speakers.

insanepolack
06-02-2009, 10:44 PM
when you run them in parallel does that drop the resistance from 4 ohms to 2 ohms? or why does it put more power to those speakers?

Razzman
06-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Yes it drops them to 2ohms which if i remember correctly make the amp more efficient hence additional power. This also causes some amps to run hotter. I think all of your name brand amps are 2ohm stable now. I know my Kicker ZX series are and they don't run hot at all hardly.

Newty that about explains it correctly i think?

insanepolack
06-06-2009, 01:52 PM
I got a quick question here. For example Razz is using a total of two amps with a total of 9 channels. And his head unit same as mine has three pre outs for rca cables. So my question is basically how do you run rca cables for the rest of the channels? Or do you have do you have to use a different method?

Razzman
06-06-2009, 02:53 PM
On the main cabin i'm using a Kicker ZX700.5 five channel amp. The main cabins are connected parallel to channels 1/2. The bow speakers are connected to 3/4 and the sub to the class D channel. A Kicker ZX650.4 is running the four towers, one to each channel.

So on the Pioneer the front preout RCAs are going to the four channels of the 700.5. The rear preouts are going to the 650.4 and the sub preout is going to the sub inputs on the 700.5.

Does that make sense?

insanepolack
06-06-2009, 03:25 PM
Does that mean you have RCA splitters for the front and rear preouts? Because on the 700.5 amp you need two RCA cables for the cabin and on RCA cable for the sub. And for the rear preout you also need two RCA cables. Don't you?

Razzman
06-06-2009, 04:18 PM
You need one pair for each channel so you'd have to split it unless you have the newer Kicker which detect the signal for both inputs with just one set of RCAs with the flick of a switch.

insanepolack
06-06-2009, 04:51 PM
Okay that makes sense now. Thank you, once again LOL.

newty
06-06-2009, 05:48 PM
Sorry I missed the q till now. In 9 channel set-up (2 amps) You run your front rca's from your deck to the amp powering your interior speakers. Even though it is technically a 5 channel amp you can you have 3 rca inputs on the amp.
You flip the switch that lets the 4 high pass channels run off of one set of rca's. You then can chose to run an additional rca from the deck sub output to signal the sub for better control through your deck, or flip the switch and let the single set of rca's run the whole amp. That is why most muli-channel amps have a remote bass boost because if you let the one rca set run the amp then you loose bass control. This is in case you have a limited amount of rca outputs on the deck.
Then you bridge the towers to the other amp and run those off of the rear rca out-put, and switch it to single signal input, as razz pointed out earlier.
Clear as mud?

Razzman
06-06-2009, 06:06 PM
I hate mud ;)

newty
06-06-2009, 08:04 PM
Me too, the worst part is when you get in it on your finger you have smell it to make sure that its not just mud!:p

Sled491
06-06-2009, 10:00 PM
Dude that is just wrong:) Correct but wrong.

Razzman
06-06-2009, 10:35 PM
Had to bring that up as well huh? ;)

newty
06-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Thats funny!

mmandley
06-08-2009, 05:57 PM
OK its time to do the deed. Time to drill some holes in my tower and mount these new speakers. Be back later with some pictures. Successful pictures i hope.

jester
06-08-2009, 07:18 PM
Just take it nice and slow. Also invite Newty over for a beer or two so you can have him dril the holes for you. :D

newty
06-08-2009, 08:10 PM
You bring the boat up here and the beer and I'll show you how to do it!!
I'll even let you use my drill.

newty
06-09-2009, 01:20 AM
Well how did it go? Get it figured out? Can't wait to hear it!

mmandley
06-09-2009, 01:47 AM
Just take it nice and slow. Also invite Newty over for a beer or two so you can have him dril the holes for you. :D

If i was allowed to drink beer i just might have done that. Just might have. Still holding off on beer till i get closer to my goal weight.

Actually the truth is i don't want to take the boat across the I5 bridge to Vancouver in rush hour. Plus is i went to Newty's to drink beer and work on the boat i think more beer and story telling would get done then work lol.

I will take Newty up on an offer to bring beer and the boat to his house but it will be to make Sub woofer stuff this fall or something LOL>

mmandley
06-09-2009, 01:49 AM
Well how did it go? Get it figured out? Can't wait to hear it!

Well the update is, i got the speakers mounted. I got the wires fished down to the first hinge. The hole is drilled after the first hinge.

Allergies were kicking my arse today my eyes were so red and swollen when Claudia got home she was teasing me. Pinchi Cabrona.

Anyhow i didnt have any of the plastic wire tubing, so i went to Home Depot to get some.

Tomorrow i have to drill the hole at the base of the tower into the boat area with the amps. Then run the wires in there and hook it up. I have several pics and ill have a few more tomorrow to post after the install.

newty
06-09-2009, 08:45 PM
Pinchi Cabrona, good to hear. there should be a little hole already there under the tower foot.

mmandley
06-09-2009, 10:54 PM
OK got everything done finally today. Drilled the last hole and the most important one. The lower tower mount to the craw space. That was a very nerve racking hole because i didn't want to remove the tower as Cab did. I just don't have the space or a safe way to do it without risking the tower getting damaged.

So i drilled that hole and the lower section of the tube after the hinge was by fare the hardest to fish wire. Its at a weird angle at the base where it goes in. I finally got it after a good hour of crawling into the hole and back out. Two people would have made this a lot easier.

Anyhow after i got that it was a matter of running it to the amp and then reinstalling the 2 batteries.

Got the speakers tuned as best i can in the driveway, they are echoing off the house LOL.

I do have to say its incredibly loud in the boat now and the sub just doesn't seem to keep up. Thats a winter project im sure.

Pic 1 tools for the job
Pic 2 my debur tool. All i had but it worked well.
Pic 3 holes in top of the tower
Pic 4 Holes in the cross tube at the hinge point.

Next thread.

mmandley
06-09-2009, 10:57 PM
Pic 1 wires now fished threw upper tower
Pic 2 wires fished threw the cross tube hinge section
Pic 3 Wires fished threw lower tower mount into cubby hole
Pic 4 Wires all ran to the amps.

mmandley
06-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Pic 1 Tower speakers mounted.
Pic 2 another angle showing the plastic wire covers
Pic 3 Factory look to match the light wires on the Drivers side.
Pic 4 All done batteries back in place.

newty
06-09-2009, 11:00 PM
Looks great nice job.

jester
06-10-2009, 12:14 AM
Looks good. Now i can't wait to hear it on the water. You should just bust the tunes in the driveway just so the people next door know you have finished installing the tower speakers.

cab13367
06-10-2009, 12:30 AM
Nice work Mike! I can't believe you were able to fish that wire thru the hole at the tower foot into the boat. That must have been a nightmare! So I guess your tower feet are welded to the tower tube like mine is? They must have been bolted only for 2007, or maybe that was an option?

mmandley
06-10-2009, 02:26 AM
Looks good. Now i can't wait to hear it on the water. You should just bust the tunes in the driveway just so the people next door know you have finished installing the tower speakers.

Ohh you know i cranked it up brother. I had my neighbors on both sides come out and ask how it was going. They seen me working on it the last couple days and today when i was done i cranked a few tracks.

Sat back and listened imagining i was on the water. Only complaint is man that tower is heavy now when i fold it down to put it in the garage lol.

mmandley
06-10-2009, 02:32 AM
Nice work Mike! I can't believe you were able to fish that wire threw the hole at the tower foot into the boat. That must have been a nightmare! So I guess your tower feet are welded to the tower tube like mine is? They must have been bolted only for 2007, or maybe that was an option?

It was a huge pain let me tell ya. I had to fish the wire UP the up to the top, then tape it to the loom where the boat antenna is to hold it up in there. I went to the hinge and pulled it out then had to fish the speakers wires down and use a long thin screw driver to get the speaker wires to drop threw the deep hole i drilled threw the fiberglass plate the tower bolts to.

Yea i was running the risk the tower wouldn't be hollow at the base but it was thank gawd. I figured if i drilled the hole and the tower wasn't hollow at that weld point then i would deal with taking the tower off the boat.

I do want to toss some thanks out to those in need of it.

Cab13367 for the excellent pics of your tower install, man that made it a lot easier.
Razzman for your help with amps, speakers and wiring advise.
Newty for your help with amps, speakers and wiring advise.

The rest of the Moomba people for support of other things here and being a great group of people to talk to and get help from.

I couldn't ask for a better group of people to call friends that i have never been able to actually meet yet.

Razzman
06-10-2009, 10:28 AM
Lookin' good! Nice clean install! That's what's nice about a good owners forum such as this one, everyone's there for each other to pass banter and advice.

newty
06-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Agreed Razz!