PDA

View Full Version : Another new Owner

TSC
05-14-2009, 10:37 AM
Hey all.

Picking up my '08 LSV tomorrow from the dealer.

Two questions:

1.) Should the cover be removed for transport to avoid any strap damage to the paint?

2.) Does the Z5 Cargo Rack need to be removed for highway speeds? Got about 20 miles on hwys to bring her home.

Thanks.

jmvotto
05-14-2009, 11:01 AM
I tow with my snap cover on, no problems. i assume you can tow with the z cargo up but i would check with the dealer.

Welcome and enjoy. Post some pics.

kaneboats
05-14-2009, 11:22 AM
Welcome! Looking forward to seeing your pics! Congrats!

danimal365
05-14-2009, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't tow with the mooring cover on, the straps will vibrate in the wind and scratch your gel coat.

TSC
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Here's a pic as she sits at the dealer. I'll get more once she gets home and "unwrap" her.

kaneboats
05-14-2009, 11:42 AM
I like it! Orange is the new lime green!

TSC
05-14-2009, 11:48 AM
One other question, how much off a drop do I need for my tow hitch so she will sit level. Have a 2" drop, but thinking I might need more.

kaneboats
05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
I'd have to see your vehicle. Best thing to do is hitch it up and take a look. Or crank the trailer jack so the boat is sitting level and measure to the ground. Then measure your hitch from the ground. Don't forget to compensate for the tongue weight if you do this.

Razzman
05-14-2009, 11:52 AM
The drop all depends on your vehicle, ideally though you want the hitch 18-20" off the ground i believe it is. Congrats on the new ride, looks good! Welcome to the club! :D

mmandley
05-14-2009, 06:56 PM
Congrats on the pretty lady.

Hitch Height 18-21 inches loaded is the Boat tongue height. Depending on your truck height and dip when the boat is hooked up depends on the adjustment needed. Boat sits to far forward then your adding to much tongue wight to the truck. Too much weight makes the trailer tow funky and unstable.

Z5 cargo rack is designed to be pulled ont he highway but i wouldnt plan on more then a hour or two total it has 4 quick release levels and can be taken off pretty easy if you have a place to store it during travel.

Boat cover. The Moomba cover is designed as a travel cover and is more then durable enough for it.

Cautions- When strapping it down put a Twist in the strap to its not flat on the boat or is will vibrate something wicked. Also if you plan to toe it for long distances go buy a roll of 2ft wide clear syran wrap like packing plastic you see on shipping creats and wrap the boat a few times were the cover meets the mid line of the boat. This will make sure you don't get scratches. The cover will scratch the boat and chrome trim but it is buffable.

These are the tips i was given from AWS when i bought mine and asked those same questions.

Trashy
05-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Nice looking color combo on your new boat! I would not tow with the cover in place the straps will vibrate in the wind and scratch your gel coat unless you feel like buffing out your new boat before you even take it out.

yearround
05-14-2009, 11:08 PM
looks great! i have towed many miles with the Z5 (1000+) at 80+mph. it is like a huge sail, so we don't do that any more. it sits fine under the cover. i don't have the mooring cover so i don't know about it.

2nd 3rd, abt the hitch

newty
05-15-2009, 12:07 AM
In my opinion, more than a hour or so over 75mph I would take the Z-5 off. It fits pretty well in the cockpit.
I usually put something on the observer seat and let it sit on the driver seat. then use the straps to tie it down or keep it under the cover. I removed the canvas off the rack thinking it would be easier for a long tow last summer... uh really ba idea. It is a pain to get it to fit right again. It can be done but it wasn't worth the time. Thats when I found it fit inside on the return trip. Usaully when we are driving that far we are staying for a while and have a lot of crap packed in the boat. I just place stuff so that the cover sits flat.
When I first brought it home I noticed the X shaped tube strap had worn marks in the top of the Z-5 after a 30 mile trip. I wasn't real happy so I took it off and kept it in the boat. I never used it once last summer. So unless your going to be hauling a tube around on it (which I don't reccomend anyway), take it off before you leave the dealership and save your cover. If you do notice any flapping while your driving there are some adjustments that you can make to fix it.
Enjoy! Beautiful boat by the way. Get some better pics when you get it home.

TSC
05-15-2009, 10:48 PM
Long day today, but finally got her home. Went out with the salesman for a test spin, good thing, discovered an inoperable speedo and a missing O-ring on the left ballast pump. Quick fix back at the dealership then was on my way. Got her home with the Z5 on staying under 60, no problems. After dinner took the family out for a quick spin on the lake. My son made up a moomba song, he was so excited to be going out. Everybody was grinning so it was a good choice. Only bad side is I ripped up the lawn pretty good trying to put the boat away. Backing the MFer of down the driveway from now on.

Almost forgot, picked up a 3 1/4" drop hitch, good thing actually had to flip it over for a rise. Go figure.

Pics of her arrival at home are below for those interested.

mmandley
05-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Good looking boat man. Nice looking tow rig too.

Yea i bought a 2 inch drop hitch for my truck thinking my hitch would be too high too. After the boat hooks up it drops me down like 4 inched and im to low then. Just fliped the ball over to a 2 inch lift now.

Sorry to hear about the yard. Good thing is its jsut grass and it grows like hell LOL.

If you want to park it in the lawn might look into some pavers form the Home Depot. You can get concret style 12/12 or even 16/16 for about 1 to 2 bucks each. Make a little path for them.

All ya realy need to do it clear the grass out about 4 inches down then lay a thin layer of lyme down and some sand to keep them level and keep the weeds out then you have a nice drive way for the trailer.

I wish i had some of my 1/4 acre back yard in the front. My front yard is like 10W/20L and my drive way is steep so even backing intot he garage is blind. Good thing GF knows how to yell STOP!! lol

jester
05-17-2009, 08:27 PM
Very nice looking boat and welcome to the family. I always tow with the cover on and have not had an issue with the straps. You just need to watch how you put them on so the buckel is away from the boat.

Form&Function
05-17-2009, 10:00 PM
Thats a good looking boat.Im sure you guys will get years of enjoyment or however long till you trade it in at least.

Sharpie647
05-19-2009, 03:29 PM
good looking boat. Hope to see you out on the lake. We picked up Our 2002 moomba just 2 days before you at A and S. We live right down the road from you.

Sled491
05-19-2009, 08:42 PM
Love the boat, welcome to the family. I had some input on your questions but seems you made it no probs:)