PDA

View Full Version : Jam nut wont loosen

LSV04
05-14-2009, 08:13 AM
Im facing the back of the boat and trying to turn the jam nut(thinner nut) ccw. It seems stuck and I dont want to use too much force. With a hose in the way, I only have about 1/2-1" of play to turn it(using channel locks).Am I turning it the correct direction.? Should I put another wrench to hold the large nut? or is it time to go to a marina.? My boat is out of the water right now .This is the first time Ive tried to adjust it. I could take the water intake hose off the have more room?
Please Help!!!!

JesseC
05-14-2009, 04:04 PM
Turn it the other direction!! It sounds like you have really tightened it. If sitting in the floor facing the stern, you should turn it Clock wise which will cause the jam nut to turn away from the packing nut. To tighten the packing nut, turn clockwise to snug and then turn the jam nut counter clockwise to lock the packing nut in place.

LSV04
05-16-2009, 12:52 PM
Thanks buddy-how many rotations for the packing nut and only by hand right? then just tighten jam nut snug

JesseC
05-16-2009, 02:52 PM
If you need to replace it, here are the instructions that I followed that were sent to me by Brian Raymond from skiers choice. My boat ended up taking four new pieces of rope. I adjusted mine for two years before replaceing it this year after being in there for 7 years! I usually loosen the jam nut while the boat is in the water and just keep tightening it until it is dripping one drop every 30-45 seconds (I always do this on the water) and then re-tighten the jam nut to the packing nut, should take you about 3 minutes.

Brian Raymonds instructions for replacement (probably not neccessary in your case, but figured I would give you the instructions!):
Replacing and Adjusting the Shaft Packing.
- Replace the shaft packing. Be sure to install two or three pieces.
- Loosen the jam nut on the shaft-packing gland.
- Back the gland nut off the packing gland assembly.
- Dig out all the old packing material.
- For a one inch shaft, cut two to three pieces of 1/4"dia. packing material strips so they are 4 1/8". Place one of the packing strips into the packing nut. The end should butt together. Place another piece in the packing nut, this time orienting the seam 180 degrees from the seam of the first piece.
- Slide the packing nut up the shaft.
- Slide the shaft through the Packing gland assembly and into the strut.
- Screw the packing nut onto the packing gland assembly. Tighten it up as much as possible by hand. Then using a wrench, turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a 1/2 a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. Then turn the nut a ½ a turn forward and a 1/4 turn back. This will pack the packing fairly tight.
- Back the packing nut off the assembly again. Then thread it back on. Tighten it only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.
- Tighten the Lock Nut up to the Packing Gland Nut.

If you want to add the third piece of packing, do so when you back the nut off after you packed the packing. Then tighten the nut only as tight as you can get it using your hands. This should be almost the perfect tightness for the packing gland so that it does not leak, yet not too tight so that the packing burns up.

3/16” PACKING FOR V DRIVE
¼” PACKING FOR DIRECT DRIVE

Ideally, you want 1 drop of water every 30-45 seconds when the boat is in gear at idle. (Be sure the boat is in the water)

LSV04
05-16-2009, 03:39 PM
Hey Jesse=Ok,so when you re-tighten the jam nut ccw, is that what reduces the drip? I have the drip now to where its managable . Can I want to reduce it more? Can I do damage tightening to much? Now I need you to help me land my backroll.

JesseC
05-16-2009, 03:53 PM
You can overtighten which will cause the rope packing to "burn up", but that would only occur if there is NO water dripping. The water is what lubes the packing and keeps everything running smoothly. When you tighten the packing nut it is causing the flange to press more tightly on the rope packing, too much pressure cuts off the dripping completely which is not good. You can adjust the packing nut as long as there is room to turn it clockwise and not come in contact with the jam nut. Mine was definately needing replacement, due to the fact that there was no room left between the packing nut and the jam nut with the jam nut loosened and backed away. When I would back off the jam nut it did not leave enough room to turn the packing nut to tighten the rope to the flange. The packing nut controls the drip and pressure on the flange, the jam nut just makes sure that it stays in place.

What problems are you having with the backroll? When I first started doing them and had issues, it was from trying to take them too big!

LSV04
05-16-2009, 09:42 PM
I first was rotating too much front to back but now at least they consistantly are more sideways. I M having trouble with the landing. The board slides out . Do you do the entire trick with 2 hands on the handle. Mine one hand is off on the landing. Can you see the landing on all of them ? It happens so fast and I dont always fall out into the landing I come up short and land too far back. But some are perfect / I rotate, see the landing and I choke on the landing. I just dialed in my HS360(which took a while) but this backroll is making me nuts. I try taking them big and small. I wonder if its the boat speed. I might be riding too slow.This trick should just kind of happen if you load the line right correctly? You shouldnt have to force it? What speed do you ride at and what rope length.

Thanks for the jam nut insruction-very helpful.

JesseC
05-16-2009, 10:07 PM
On the backrolls, I have to force myself to put my chin on my left shoulder and watch for the wake. As soon as I see the wake, I decide whether to let go of the handle with my right hand or not. If I see the wake and know my rotation is too fast I let go with one hand. If it is too slow I do not let go, just depends on how the trick has turned out in each case. Usually I try not to let go, the trick is spotting the landing and getting on your heels and riding away from the wake. A lot of people try to "stop" when they land, you have to ride the trick out, try to spot the wake and think about riding away, not landing in place and riding straight.

LSV04
05-17-2009, 10:50 AM
Do you ride regular? I'll try to put my chin to the left shoulder. If I could see the landing it will help. We have 2 pros coming in July to give some lessons so if I dont have it down by then they can try.Where do you ride?
thanks

JesseC
05-17-2009, 10:40 PM
I ride just south of birmimgham ,AL and yes I am regular foot. By putting your chin to your left shoulder you can spot the wake fairly quickly. If I can not find the wake, I usually can not ride it out and end up just slipping out.