PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change using QuickDrain

hornet
05-13-2009, 02:48 PM
OK, I've changed the oil on a few toys, but maybe someone can answer a question for me on the Quickdrain system. My question is this......the quickdrain hose is no problem to locate, but where are you supposed to run the hose to in order to drain the oil? The hose I have just barely reaches the drain plug hole in the rear of the boat....it will not go through the drain plug hole. Is there another piece that I am missing?

Also, I did try attaching a piece of hose to the end of the Quickdrain hose, warmed up the engine to operating temp, put the boat on a slight incline, and I got nothing in terms of drainage (using gravity). Is there a pump required, or just a super steep incline if you are relying on gravity?

Any info would be appreciated, thanks.

superfet
05-13-2009, 05:46 PM
Hi
I had the same problem as you, after scratching my head for a while I finally pumped out the oil from the quickdrain hose, I couldnīt figure out any other way....

csmsk
05-13-2009, 07:37 PM
Same here. Barely goes through the drain plug hole and very slow to drain. I use a pump now to speed things up and assure myself that I got it all out.

jmvotto
05-13-2009, 08:23 PM
Saw this the other day in overtons would this work.?

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=26163&pdesc=Oil_Drain_Kit_1/2_x_20_Thread_Size&str=oil%20change&merchID=1008&r=view

Razzman
05-14-2009, 12:02 AM
Soooo much easier and faster, sure glad i bought one ... http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=27266&pdesc=Pela_Oil_Extractor_6_liter&cname=Oil-Changers-Filters&aID=601L9&merchID=1009&r=view

hornet
05-14-2009, 08:41 AM
Thanks for the replies. Razzman--the link for the pump that you provided, does that pump work directly with the QuickDrain hose that is already installed on my engine?

Razzman
05-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Quick drain hoses are connected to the oil pan and replace the drain plug. Oil / fluid extractors extract the oil through the dipstick tube. I tried the quick drain hose once on my previous boat, never again.

kaneboats
05-14-2009, 11:32 AM
On my OB I just stretch the drain hose down through the plug hole and pull the cap. It drains right out. I loosen the fill cover to help the air flow. I only use the extractor for the trans fluid.