PDA

View Full Version : Red engine light on

Mikey
05-12-2009, 09:10 PM
I know this has been posted before . I dewinterized my boat using the flush kit to run the motor and i see the engine light coming on and staying on. I do recall seeing it may reset itself after about 5 full cycles ,engine cold to hot to cold again. is there any advantage to disconnecting the power and just resetting everything and or resetting circuit breaker at the battery?

jester
05-12-2009, 11:08 PM
If i remember right the red light below the the shifter will stay on when the RPM's are below like 1K. When you start going the red light will turn off.

KurtL
05-13-2009, 12:27 AM
Mikey,

Happened twice last year when someone bumped the kill switch. 3 on/off cycles should reset (if I remember correctly).

BWeber
05-13-2009, 07:59 AM
If i remember right the red light below the the shifter will stay on when the RPM's are below like 1K. When you start going the red light will turn off.

The red light will stay on if the RPMs are below 2k, this is normal. You only have an issue if its still on above that RPM range.

Mikey
05-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks for all the replies. Hopefully it all works out and there is nothing more too it. Just sitting in the boat in the yard running using flush connection and going over things tends to make you a little paranoid. She was running perfectly so hopefully there is no issues.
Out on the water i probably would have had other things to watch for and pay attention to and all the other stuff going on around me.Thanks again Hopefully light goes off and its good boating as usual,otherwise its a trip to my almost defunct dealership.

jmvotto
05-14-2009, 06:42 AM
past thread

Rok, check this thread it worked for me. My OBV did not go into safety mode though. That is a little concerning. I did not have the time to do the three cycles as outback suggest and used the battery sequence first and it seemed to work. No more light and everything is running smooth.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthrea...k+engine+light

Mikey
05-30-2009, 10:27 PM
I went out last weekend ,used boat ,which ran fine had no probs except after about 6 complete engine cycles red light is still showing. After talking to a couple others the O2 sensor seems to come up in conversations so while out puttering/cleaning the boat i looked for the O2 sensor. I and a mechanic neighbor assumed it would be found on or near one of the exhaust manifolds? I/ we cannot find what appears to be an O2 sensor. Can anyone help me out before i go to the trouble of taking it to a dealer to be told its a simple fix,and could have been done by myself. Location at the very least but a picture would be very helpful. Thanks. 07 Outback DD 325 Assault

Engine Nut
05-31-2009, 08:16 AM
I went out last weekend ,used boat ,which ran fine had no probs except after about 6 complete engine cycles red light is still showing. After talking to a couple others the O2 sensor seems to come up in conversations so while out puttering/cleaning the boat i looked for the O2 sensor. I and a mechanic neighbor assumed it would be found on or near one of the exhaust manifolds? I/ we cannot find what appears to be an O2 sensor. Can anyone help me out before i go to the trouble of taking it to a dealer to be told its a simple fix,and could have been done by myself. Location at the very least but a picture would be very helpful. Thanks. 07 Outback DD 325 Assault

None of the 325 Assault engines have O2 sensors. We started using O2 sensors on the catalyst exhaust equipped 340 engines in 2007. Will the engine run up to the normal wide open throttle RPM? If it doesn't you need to take it in and get it checked. If the engine RPM is not limited, it is pobably something relatively minor that still needs to be checked if it persists but will unlikely cause damage to the engine.

Mikey
05-31-2009, 03:31 PM
Yes it runs up to wide open with no issues, oil pressure showing fine ,temp fine etc and running good so that takes a little bit off my mind.
A least for now i will watch motor carefully and when its convenient if light continues i will take it in and have it diagnosed. Thanks for the reply.

tazz3069
05-31-2009, 04:06 PM
Mikey, I just had the same problem. Mine was very minor. My oil level was low. Also, I found out that the oil should be checked while sitting in the water and not on the trailer. I checked my oil on the trailer. Give that a try.

Mikey
05-31-2009, 09:46 PM
Thanks for that i will. As you stated i usually check oil on the trailer,good point,will check trans as well while i'm at it.

Mikey
06-01-2009, 10:15 PM
I was talking to a MC dealer today and he said it could be that at initial startup ,it picked up a low voltage sensor and now untill i get computer cleared it may always stay on?
He did mention though that as long as other issues are ok ie oil pressure/temp i should be alright ,then maybe have cleared when convenient.