PDA

View Full Version : Tightening the Jam Nut

LSV04
05-11-2009, 11:58 PM
I have a steady drip now. I want to try and tighten the jam nut before replacing the packing. I am ordering the wrench from Grainer.com item 2gwk4. Can someone give detailed steps to do it while the boat is in water. Please include which direction to turn each nut. And any tips getting to it.? Its real tight and there is a hose in the way. Is it easier with the boat out of the water? Thanks for the help.

VA LSV
05-12-2009, 06:04 AM
Turn the jamb nut CCW to loosen, turn the packing nut CW to tighten, then turn jamb nut CW to tighten. Jamb nut should be easy to turn. Don't overtighten. I used channellocks on mine before I converted to a dripless packing.

lowdrag
05-12-2009, 06:46 AM
If you have to tighten the packing nut much more than hand tight, it's time to repack.

LSV04
05-13-2009, 11:03 PM
Ok so if Im facing the back of the boat/turn the jam nut ccw to loosen? Its not turning.It looks like both nuts are moving but not turning.Does it take a lot of force> am I turning it the correct direction or maybe its just stuck.?

kaneboats
05-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Sounds like the nuts are stuck together but loose. Need to break them apart and tighten one at a time.