PDA

View Full Version : Finally got a ski in.

Sled491
05-10-2009, 09:42 PM
Well I've been trying for al least a month to get my first ski of the year in. Ordered a brand spanking new dry suit over a month ago. Was ready to go, had a boat full of fellow Moomba owners ready to go and things just never worked out. Twice it was snow, 2 weekends in Florida for easter break. Behind at work so no play, rain another.

Well I got home from out of town early friday and headed straight to the lake house to do some work. Wife came out with the kids for dinner and to see how I was doing on the painting.

So after dinner I said to the wife wow what a great night, I sure would like to go for a ski. She said sure and I ran to uncover the boat. Got my drysuit on, and lets just say that my arms still hurt tonight:)

But a record for me, 2 weeks before memorial day! Rest of the weekend weather sucked, so just more work on the house.

Mikey
05-10-2009, 10:13 PM
I'm envious. Still waiting. Just started putting the boat back together and waiting for the battery to charge up. Will try firing her up tomorrow i hope.Skiing probably still 1,2 weeks away.

Waynes345
05-10-2009, 10:33 PM
I fully intended to get in the water this weekend. Weather was crappy enough that I did all the yard work around the cabin instead. Didn't get wet, but my weekends are free now and I'm ready to try the new ski. My 15 year old son spent all day Saturday in the boaters safety class and can now operate a boat in Illinois. Now my wife can spot. I can't wait for her to be sitting watching me while he drives. She won't know where to look.

yearround
05-10-2009, 11:47 PM
sled, glad to hear you have finally made it out. agree with the dry suit! enjoy the extra months on the water!

KurtL
05-11-2009, 12:07 AM
Sled,

Glad to see a fellow "Northerner" out and about. We're hoping for decent weather next week here in nw Montana and getting in the first ski.

Yearround what was that formula of air/ water temp to wetsuit drysuit etc? Saw your post last year and got a kick out of it. Stong possiblity of water here 48-51F and air about 55-60F next weekend.

moombadaze
05-11-2009, 09:09 AM
Nothin better that sore arms from skiing, not yardwork, in the spring.

kaneboats
05-11-2009, 02:51 PM
Glad to hear you got out. Wish I could have done the same. Busy weekend with softball, niece's 1st Communion, Aunt's vist and MomDay.

yearround
05-11-2009, 03:40 PM
Sled,

Yearround what was that formula of air/ water temp to wetsuit drysuit etc? Saw your post last year and got a kick out of it. Stong possiblity of water here 48-51F and air about 55-60F next weekend.

we would add the two temps, if it was below 100, you probably should have something, we only had wetsuits, so that was it. if it is over 100, then you should have a decent day.

now with a dry suit, i never want to go back to a wet suit, but we ahve been trunking it lately, water at 58, air at 65.

good luck!

dtlaine
05-11-2009, 06:09 PM
Well, I don't have a weather issue prohibiting me from getting out on the water, but this drought down here is killing me. There are two canals to get from my house to the lake. One has been too shallow for two months, and I noticed this Saturday that the other one is now too shallow. This sucks. We need some rain.

Sled491
05-11-2009, 07:06 PM
Thansk guys. Arms are still killing me today. I swear my wife was trying to make me pay for asking:) Weather went crappy for the rest of the weekend so back to the grind. Won't be home again until Memorial day weekend so looking forward to a big weekend of watersports that weekend.

Bought my 9 yr old a new full suit, but his mother forgot it at home. Man was he upset. He seemed to get over it after I jumped in with my new dry suit and ballooned up like the Michelin man. Both him and my wife couldn't stop laughing:( I could barely get back to the boat to get them to release the trapped air.

moombadaze
05-12-2009, 07:00 AM
He seemed to get over it after I jumped in with my new dry suit and ballooned up like the Michelin man. .

Now where are the photo's of this.

Sled491
05-12-2009, 07:08 AM
Very same question was asked at Mothers Day brunch. What can I say I got lucky and no cameras were about.

yearround
05-12-2009, 10:01 AM
the michelin man in the dry suit is really funny. after you do it once, you learn to bleed the air out of the suit before you jump in. my kids took a bunch of shots when i was first in. but you are still dry.

so, do you have your arms back yet?

Sled491
05-12-2009, 05:52 PM
Arms are still a bit sore. Funny it's my hands and forarms the worst, it's like there's no strength left in my fingers and hands at all.

yearround
05-12-2009, 11:37 PM
that is why they make clinchers. so the gloves hold on for you.

Sled491
05-13-2009, 06:44 AM
Actually, funny you mention that. I was just thinking of ordering a pair for this very reason!

Scottys
05-13-2009, 03:20 PM
Sled,
Sorry I wasn't available to get wet with you on Staurday. You're my hero!
My weekend was packed with commitments. Hoping we do get a chance to get together and ski before too long:)

Have been using Clinchers for 10+ yrs. I really like them, except on occation the strap will "catch" in the corner where the handle meets the lead line.

Sled491
05-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Scotty, weather sucked all day saturday anyways. I went out friday night as weather was perfect. Spent all weekend painting at the lake.