PDA

View Full Version : Large Wakes

BensonWdby
03-06-2004, 11:15 AM
Just curious if anyone has heard complaints from DNR or lake home owners about the effects of the large wakes thrown during Wakeboarding / Surfing and the potential or acutal damage to lake shore. I know when I have my Mobius tied up to the dock and huge wakes come in and the boat rocks up and down and slams the dock and pulls on the dock posts, I get concerned. Of course we use fenders, but..

Of course I don't think about it quite so much when I am pulling someone....

Dave

purplepower
03-08-2004, 12:05 PM
I was looking at a posting of a home video a few months back. They were boarding up a river/inlet and were pretty tight to the shore. In the video you could see the havoc the wake was causing at the docks in the background. Now I just know this guy is making enemies. This hurts the future of our sport.

Generally, most of us run inboards. So as long as they are well maintained, they will be more friendly to our lakes that your average 2 stroke. But the pressure will come to reduce noise, fumes and wake on the water over time. The jet ski crowd has done alot to upset the waterfront community and I am not sure that damage is fixable. If we get labelled in the same manner, we may see wake, speed and noise restrictions that are way over the top.

So in response. We are experienced boaters. If we show consideration and commom sense, we can avoid upsetting the neighbours. It will pay off in the long run.

Tony