PDA

View Full Version : New Moomba Owner

CWCboater
05-06-2009, 01:52 AM
My Dad just got a 2008 Moomba XLV. It has the bigger motor and the bigger ballast system. He got it because we wanted to wakeboard and wake surf. I have a few questions about the boat.

How long does the ballast take to fill and to empty?

Will having the bow and both ballasts in the back use up all of the storage?

Do I fill the ballasts all the way up for wakeboarding? and how do I trim the wake plate?

Thanks Everyone!

mmandley
05-06-2009, 02:53 AM
Welcome to the site and congrats to your dad and yourself for a new boat.

Ballast i have an LSV and it takes about 10 minutes to fill and about 15 or so to drain.

The center ballast when full takes the entire compartment..mine actually over fills and causes the door to opena little so i don't fill it all the way. The 2 in the rear will fill the area about 50% but i don't recommend having anything in there until after the bags are full then i only put light things like life vests and such because i don't want to risk damaging my bags.

You can fill the ballast all the way up it all depends on how big a wake you want and how experienced you. Id recommend you try with them empty and if you want more wake then start adding water to them. No sence in working the engine harder then needed and using more fuel.

Wake plate in short Up position allows the rear ov the boat to sink in deeper but at the cause of the nose rising up very high.

Lower the plate causes the ass end of the boat to rise a little more and brings the nose of the boat down considerably, also slows the boat down in respect to top end speeds.

If you click the general tab down a bit is a subheading for Wake boarding and theres a topic exactly about the wake plate and how it works.

Also to make it work theres a level looks a lot like a turn signal on a car and then a gauge by the throttle to tell you the positioning of it.

kaneboats
05-06-2009, 10:48 AM
Congrats! You're going to love it. Post some pics and be sure to tell Dad about the forums here so he knows he can get help and answers to questions. Have fun!

jester
05-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Welcome to the site and family.

If you are new to wakeboarding then i would not recommend filling the bags all the way to start out. I would leave them empty until your use to wakeboarding. For the wakeplate i use it more to cleanup the wake. Depending on how many people are in the boat really depends on where i have my wakeplate set so i can get a good lip on the wake.

CWCboater
05-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the help everyone

CWCboater
05-06-2009, 04:58 PM
http://IMG_0260.JPG

Here are pictures for those who asked. Is there anything else my Dad and I should know about it.

jmvotto
05-06-2009, 10:08 PM
CWC, welcome to you and the Fam. Pics did not show...

tazz3069
05-06-2009, 10:38 PM
One last important thing that we missed. You may have tons of fun on the boat. Please contain yourselves as much as possible. The fun will last for a long time. You might even get a tingling sensation in your brain. Do not worry this is normal to all Moomba owners. I have had my boat for about two seasons no and still have that feeling. Have a great time, take it slow. We are here to help your. Just ask.
Tazz

Oh by the way. Welcome to the Family.

1LOKMOOMBA
05-06-2009, 11:11 PM
you will smile all winter long. Welcome.

jester
05-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Tazz has said it right. You will also find yourself in the winter sitting in your Moomba having a cold one just becasue. Dont worry that is normal and not crazy.

mmandley
05-07-2009, 03:28 AM
I did that the day i brought mine home. It was raining and couldnt get to the lake so i sat in the garage in her reading all the paperwork and listening to the stereo

was great

Ian Brantford
05-07-2009, 09:01 PM
On the XLV, the ballast bags will not entirely fill the compartments. The rear ones will go perhaps 1/2 to 2/3 of the way up, so you can still toss some gear on top of them. The front one will only fill up about halfway -- roughly level with the floor, leaving lots of room under that raised playpen floor. I toss the water noodles and larger fender in there.

I recommend that you get a fender for the bow that is larger than you might guess -- say, 8"x20" or longer. Smaller ones may ride up and fail to protect the boat when tied up at a dock.

When you say "bigger ballast", I assume that you mean the Gravity Games ballast. If you are a beginner rider, just confirm that the ballast system can fill and drain... and then leave it empty until you can ride around comfortably and do small jumps. When you are ready, try filling just the front one, start driving, and then fill the back ones until you get the wake as you like it. I find that it is easy to get too much weight in the rear, necessitating putting the wakeplate all the way down and even having people sit in the bow to keep the wake clean. Fortunately, bikini-clad women seem to really like riding in the bow, and I like seeing them there when I am driving, so it all works out. They don't weight much, so it may require two or three of them. :-)

BTW, the ballast bags will fill faster if you fill them while the boat is in motion.

With the wakeplate down (or just riding bow-heavy), the wake will form a somewhat gentler ramp. With it up, the ramp will be steeper and sharper, though it may take more of an effort with weight distribution in the boat to keep it clean (having no wash or rollover at the wake's crest).

Bigger wakes are scarier, but frankly they make it easier -- it requires less effort and skill to jump when the wake gives you more lift.