PDA

View Full Version : wake setup

Joran
05-06-2009, 01:08 AM
I've been struggling like mad to get my wake clean further back and still be big. I've got a 2003 Mobius LSV. Right now we've been running for the last few years:

600 and 400 in the rear compartments
center locker full, integrated bow sac, and a 750 in the aisle, which might have something like 400-500 in it.

Anywhere between 3-5 people in the boat, one of which is always riding. But to get it clean at 60-65 feet we gotta run the plate all the way down and 24 mph.

anyone got any feedback? Basically, I'm looking to ride the kind of wake the pros do.

For the sake of argument, lets assume money is no option.

jasonwm
05-06-2009, 01:27 AM
So is your main complaint that you need to ride 24 to get the wake clean with the weight setup you're running right now?

If that's the case, then you're going to have to get used to it. Rope length, ballast and speed are all related; as you add more ballast, you have to increase the speed, and as you ride faster, you'll probably want to move out a little (to keep the wake width the same). Most "pros" ride 24-25 now-a-days, it just goes with the territory if you're going to add 2,000lbs. of ballast in addition to passengers.

If you want to make the wake bigger there are definitely options for that, but you'll have to increase the boat speed again to keep it clean.

moombacoach
05-06-2009, 09:50 AM
sounds like to me you have to much weight in the back because you have to have the plate all the way down. where do your friends sitting? Also, when you weight up you have to speed up. I ride at 87 feet and 28mph.

Russ Wilde
www.thewildexperience.com

Joran
05-06-2009, 01:38 PM
the issue is I have to put the plate ALL THE WAY down. Any amount of up at all and it's a bust. And I'm not really riding a full 65 back even then, we have a smaller maybe 2 foot section I made that we're using cause the wake washes literally a foot behind me. I'm positive I shouldn't have to drop the plate all the way to get a clean wake, since that just shrinks it right up. I know pros ride at 24-25, I asked one once, but didn't get to talk about weight setups.

yager97
05-06-2009, 02:01 PM
Joran,
I have the same boat, the wake can be clean 82 feet back no problems. when you say 600 and 400 in the back compartments, what do you mean? are you stacking bags? there are the fly high 500 pound upgrade bags, I run those, and it fills the entire compartment. center ballast I run full as possible, 100 pounds lead in the nose, and about 400 hidden under the bow seats. you need to run at least 24mph. Make people sit up front, that will help also. wait till you get on plane, then start to lift the wakeplate.

Chefwong
05-06-2009, 03:02 PM
We used to have an 04 LSV..The set up I had was 550 in both back compartments. 450 in the center and a 450 on the boat directly above where the center bag was. At that time I was riding it at 75' between 23-24 wakeplate 1/4 to a half

I found with that boat if I added anymore weight than that it was a wash. I think it can only handle 2000 pounds and be consistant.

If money is no option I think its time to upgrade to an XLV!!

jasonwm
05-06-2009, 06:07 PM
Based on the info you're giving us, I'm starting to think that you're not really riding as quick as you are. With 2,000lbs of weight split almost exactly 50% Front/50% Rear, 24 should be plenty fast to get a good wake.

Have you calibrated your speedo with GPS?

gt9118
05-06-2009, 06:22 PM
24 foot supra or the xlv

Joran
05-06-2009, 07:34 PM
the bags I have in the back are a mismatched set, I'm not stacking them. One is a fly high 400 on the driver side, the other is a 600 on passenger. With the way we tend to sit the left/right balance is about perfect, I just tweak it a bit by emptying a sac a little, maybe 20-50 pounds. Then we fill the center locker, the integrated bow sac, and fill a bag up in the aisle. Only way to hold a clean wake is to drive about 24 or more. We ran 25.5 for a while but the wake just doesn't seem to be there. I'm pretty sure the speed is right, I've been boarding for a really long while now just other boats, and the water feels right under the board. I don't have a gps, no freinds with them, and no slalom courses to calibrate against. I dunno, maybe I am short on front weight, I can try adding some next Wednesday. I've got all kinds of bags :p

jasonwm
05-06-2009, 11:47 PM
Sounds like you would know if you were riding slow enough to get the wake to crumble.

Moombas definitely like more weight in front than other boats, but you shouldn't need to go over 50% up front. Give it a try and let us know what you find out though, maybe that's all you need.

Eric Z
05-07-2009, 07:38 PM
I have an 06' LSV and I run 500lbs on each side of the motor. Locker sack full 400lbs. About 400lbs in the nose. I have to drop the plate down a little past half way to get on plane but at 22mph the wake is nice.....

Joran
05-08-2009, 02:12 AM
I think they changed the hull shape after or around 04 though :\

I'm itching to get out again, next best opportunity is wednesday, I have a stage performance at anime central saturday and will be in chicago all weekend, so no boating till wednesday. So moomba's like about a 50 50 split on weight? Don't think I've ever gotten quite that high on front weight, I'll give it a shot wednesday though, and try to take a pic/video to post.