PDA

View Full Version : Pay Up When Boating in Idaho

zabooda
05-05-2009, 11:06 AM
When visiting from out of state to Idaho you need a $20 invasive species sticker for your boat and in-staters pay $10. Our state has its own fees for the when you license the trailer so I guess Idaho feels special to charge out of staters.

Idaho some years ago made you get your boat registered in Idaho besides your own state and now they are back at it. So get your monies worth for this one. Good grief. You piss off people and they will introduce this stuff to their state.

You in-staters keep us informed if they are enforcing this as I may have a friend get an in-state sticker as their website only asks how many you want and doesn't match them to the boat numbers.

http://parksandrecreation.idaho.gov/invasivespeciesfaq.aspx

sandm
05-05-2009, 11:26 AM
don't know where the money will "really" go, but it's a small price to pay if it really does keep this mussel out of our lakes. they have a news story on the other night showing what kind of damage these little suckers do, and I, personally, don't want them anywhere near any water I am in. the danger is getting one up in your water intakes and what they will do over time.. nasty nasty nasty...

now if the money is just being squandered, then it is just another fee..

the lakes that I run on(lucky peak and lake lowell) have water cops 3 days/week, so I would guess that they will be big on this the first couple of years, but probably more informational, as in go buy the sticker and can't launch until you do, than really penal..

zabooda
05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
A large price for you to pay (our fees are much less) but can you imagine if every state did that? I will bring in $20 worth of species when I come next time. Thank you very little Idaho. In fact, I'm going to Vegas next week and I might go hunting for snails and where do I drive through when I come back? Idaho. Welcome new species.

sandm
05-05-2009, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't have an issue with every state doing this. I pay to use my boat in idaho. if I go to oregon or nevada, I would expect to pay some fees, as I am now using their waterways, and should pay something to keep them clean..
I guess the way I see it, is it's a $46,000 ski boat. the $10 I have to pay now this year on top of the $20 I paid for registration is cheap, and if I went to washington for a weekend and had to pay $20 to use the lakes there, still cheap.

mmandley
05-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Oregon started this a few years ago and now starting this years its a mandatory thing for the driver of the boat to have the Oregons Boaters Driver License its like 35 to to take the course online and test out with a lifetime license sent to you in the mail.

Right now only i have it but im making my GF and best friend get it also so we three are always legal driving since depending on whose in the water depends on who is driving.

<< Mandatory Boater Education
Beginning January 1, 2009, ALL boaters will need to carry a boater education card when operating powerboats (including personal watercraft or any motorized watercraft) greater than 10 hp. Law enforcement officers are issuing citations for non-compliance with the Mandatory Education Law. Citations are $97.>>

This is the course link << http://www.boat-ed.com/or/

Mikey
05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
Oh Joy ,The Idaho licence stickers again. We live in Canada and we had to add these stupid stickers every year we come down. Our old boat had a sticker that was pretty thick from just adding them on top each yr. I was glad they ended that but i guess its back. More than anything it is/was the hassle of finding someplace to sell them to ya . Oh well its the price we pay to come and play in the land of milk and honey.