PDA

View Full Version : straight answer

Form&Function
05-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Going tomorrow to pick up a 09 lsv.Don't really know what to expect seeing I have never rode or even been in the vicinity of one.I do like the price and my experience with my older supra was very good.I figure the best place to ask about wake size and quality would be here from the people that own them so here I am.
how would you rate this boat wake wise,size,shape and speed at which it cleans up?How much weight does it take to get a good wake?
Can this thing perform well as a surf boat?

Also I have seen a few threads about spider cracks.Is that a common problem or just a few random boats?

How would you rate your satisfaction with your moomba?

I look foward to joining your ranks and thanks in advance for the info

Ryan

tprkolbas
05-04-2009, 09:48 PM
i have an 08 lsv - no complaints. no problems with spider cracking. wake size is good with the gravity 3 system (1200 lbs) - better weighted down even more- especially in the front. ( i have a pair of 750's in the rear, 400 in the center, and 600 in the front). wake is very steep - compared to my friend's malibu iRide. wake is much narrower too - good for beginners learing w2w jumps - but can be hard on the knees when you land the big ones out in the flats. the lsv also puts out a nice curl for surfing - i'm not that much into surfing, but my friends who do are very satisfied with the wake.

one big recommendation - upgrade to the wakeboard prop if you plan on adding ballast - anything more than the gravity 3 system causes the boat to be very sluggish out of the hole - at least compared to other performance boats i've been behind.

Form&Function
05-04-2009, 10:04 PM
Whats the good upgrade prop?I have the leftover spare from my previous boat I want to say its a 13.5,14.5 LH 1 1/8

jjerrod
05-04-2009, 10:17 PM
welcome, ive only had mine out a few times but love it. My snap on cover has caused multiple spider cracks but nothing major.

where in OK are you from?

Trashy
05-04-2009, 10:19 PM
I love the Mooba line up. I am on my second one. The LSV is a great overall boat. I rode behind one today I own a XLV which I love but my friend has a LSV. You can surf behind it but you need to upgrade the ballast to a 750# on the surf side.

smokedog2
05-04-2009, 10:21 PM
The boat function will exceed your expectations – for whatever you want to do on the wake.
Spider cracks – this is what I think I know. They are cosmetic cracks in the gel coat and have no structural significance. Gel coat is much harder than fiberglass. Cracks are more of a problem today due to EPA changes in the gel coat chemistry. They took out stuff like lead. SC went with the EPA changes early to work out the bugs, you should benefit from this.

The cause of spider cracks is less understood. Part of it is flex related, part may be stress concentration points e.g. towers. I also think specific application thickness and composition is a factor. I got one on the tower attach point fixed under warrantee. I suspect it was because the tower was loose.

I also think it may be rapid temperature change related from going inside and outside to temperature extremes. None of these theories survive a very knowledgeable investigation. You can have cracks show up in coolers or on the hull. They are maddeningly random on some boats.

If you fix them early, they stay fixed better. If you let them grow, it is harder to stop the growth. The growth comes from the fact that boats flex, gel coat, not so much.
I think they have a handle on the gel coat, I have not seen any really bad cases in several years.

Form&Function
05-04-2009, 10:34 PM
Jerrod,I am in Altus Oklahoma close to the texas line.

About the cracks,all my previous boats have had them in one way or another and if sc stands behind the major ones under warranty I think I am ok with it.Ill post some pics when I get her home.

mmandley
05-05-2009, 07:08 PM
Congrates on the New Boat.

ian ashton
05-05-2009, 07:24 PM
We were just talking on Sunday about how lucky we've been with the lack of spider cracks - not one after a yea and 110+ hours!

moombadaze
05-05-2009, 07:42 PM
08 lsv here-just hit 55 hrs and love this boat more than the day i saw it on the showrrom floor.

If your going to be runing heavy ballast get the upgraded wakeboard prop. this boat has it and my last one(03 lsv) did not--what a difference.

Razzman
05-05-2009, 08:11 PM
The Moomba line is a fantastic value and enjoys the same build quality as Supra, just not the same bling level.

I've seen spider crack threads on every brand over the years and in my experience the causes could be anthing from vibration to neglect or mistreatment. The worst i saw was a Mastercraft that was covered in them. Turns out the owner overloaded the boat with too much ballast and regularly did double ups, go figure. MC denied the claim as did his insurance. But I'll bet the eight battery/5 amp/5 subwoofer/12 speaker stereo system had nothing to do with it though. :rolleyes:

The wakeboard prop is an OJ 4 blade 14x14.25 LH 1 1/8 and any other size is probably not recommended.

You'll absolutely love your new Moomba regardless of what the higher price spread guys say. :D

Form&Function
05-06-2009, 01:23 PM
Are you the same razzman from the tige forum?

tazz3069
05-06-2009, 02:06 PM
I have an 07' LSV and really love the boat. I have done a few mods to mine. Yes the better prop is the way to go. Congrats and welcome to the Moomba Family. Like we tell every new member here. Ask a question and one of us, if not, a lot of us will have the answer.
Tazz

Razzman
05-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Are you the same razzman from the tige forum?

That would be me ... nobody else better be takin' my handle! :p:cool:

tazz3069
05-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Razzman--
R you Double Dipping or are you a spy?

Razzman
05-06-2009, 11:14 PM
Razzman--
R you Double Dipping or are you a spy?

LOL! Good one Tazz! :p No i still frequent the Tigé forum from time to time, while i no longer have a Tigé i did make some good friends over there. :D

Form&Function
05-07-2009, 09:07 AM
Well,I bought a 09 all blue lsv yesterday with almost every option.Havn't had a chance to get it out yet but it sure looks nice in my garage.Dealer said three or four hours at least to break in,what did you guys do?

jmvotto
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
Get a cooler and drive around for a while. changing speeds 15mph, 25mph back 18mph etc, no WOT :D

Form&Function
05-07-2009, 09:18 AM
I have to say being at the dealer face to face with the outback v those boats are really coming up.Great price and quality with everything you need on the lake.Not as small as you would think for a twenty foot boat either.

moombadaze
05-07-2009, 09:23 AM
F&F, we want pictures

jmvotto
05-07-2009, 09:24 AM
I luv mine. If I ever gave up slalom skiing, then it would definitely be an xlv for wake and roominess.

Razzman
05-07-2009, 10:18 AM
If you got an LSV then you have almost 22' with loads of storage & room. Congrats and like said lets see those pics. :D

Sled491
05-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Hey welcome. the LSV is one Kick ass boat!

The spider crack thing was explained to me by our local fiberglass warrenty shop for SC and a personal friend. It has to do with using 2 differnent types of gel in the same mold. The one is meant to be flexible and one is very rigid and how they work against each other. While every glass boat is subject to these cracks, he claimed the Outbacks were worse than others. I have some experience with this as my boat is 2 yrs old and has been in twice. But again it's just because I'm annal about the look of my boat. I wasn't like things were falling off or I was leaking, nothing could be further from the truth. My buddies 06 Outback has had no problems, and my other buddy with a Supra 24V sunsport was given a new boat because of it. So no figuring it?

Form&Function
05-08-2009, 11:09 AM
http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g240/grip01/boat.jpg

moombadaze
05-08-2009, 11:13 AM
dang, that looks simply awsome, love the blue

Form&Function
05-08-2009, 11:24 AM
I ask for a honest opinion so I will give you mine.I don't know how relevant it is seeing this is my first new boat and I have nothing to base it on.
The boat was build nice and the stiching is very decent.I like the layout and the options which seem to be high quality components.
The seats have no straps or hinges and could blow out which is one of my concerns along with the million snaps all over the boat snagging your towel when you wipe it down.
The boat drives nice other than the 1/8 turn of freeplay in the steering and the touchy drive by wire.I was very pleased with the ruff ride quality coming from such a small boat.I also enjoy the light hint of small block from the glasspack muffler.seems to me this is a sc trait going back to the eighties because every skiers choice boat I have owned or seen sounds the same.
The wake was small even with the gravity three and a little disapointing but the more I thought about it 1200 hundred pounds isn't very much and there should be tons of room for improvement with a few minor changes.However with that said the wake was super clean and had a great shape,not too wide and not to fat with a decent but small ramp.
In the end if I had it to do over I would have bought the same boat and look foward to years of service from my moomba.

moombadaze
05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
I ask for a honest opinion so I will give you mine.I don't know how relevant it is seeing this is my first new boat and I have nothing to base it on.
The boat was build nice and the stiching is very decent.I like the layout and the options which seem to be high quality components.
The seats have no straps or hinges and could blow out which is one of my concerns along with the million snaps all over the boat snagging your towel when you wipe it down.
The boat drives nice other than the 1/8 turn of freeplay in the steering and the touchy drive by wire.I was very pleased with the ruff ride quality coming from such a small boat.I also enjoy the light hint of small block from the glasspack muffler.seems to me this is a sc trait going back to the eighties because every skiers choice boat I have owned or seen sounds the same.
The wake was small even with the gravity three and a little disapointing but the more I thought about it 1200 hundred pounds isn't very much and there should be tons of room for improvement with a few minor changes.However with that said the wake was super clean and had a great shape,not too wide and not to fat with a decent but small ramp.
In the end if I had it to do over I would have bought the same boat and look foward to years of service from my moomba.

couple answers

Yes seats can fly out--i added velcro to seat bottoms and actually stappled them to the underseat base-just like the factoty did to the drivers seat.-did the cooler seat and the seat behind the drivers, i have towed this boat at 80mph and all other seats have stayed put.

I have not done this but.. upgrade the rear ballast bags to flyhigh 750lbs and add more weight upfront and this boat is one of the best for wakeboarding. And has a heck of a surf wave.

Razzman
05-08-2009, 12:58 PM
I've never worried about the cushions and i tow everywhere. The rear is a bench and can't fly out, the corners are locked in under the rear back (you can't budge those if you tried) and the cooler and behind driver are protected from the wind. Towed up to 75mph without them budging. now gear bags on the floor are ANOTHER issue! I've had wakeboards in gear bags lift and move and almost lost a duffle full of clothing once! Installing a walkway air dam would solve that issue but i really don't need it either so i just place heavier items like tubes and such there instead.

moombadaze
05-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Razz, The new owners of my old boat had the rear bench over the v-drive lift up and blow out while on the freeway. Now that was a 03 lsv and the seat assembley was lighter-but it does happen. They got lucky in that no one behind them got into a wreck or drove over it-it just needs a little tlc now for repairs. When I had this boat i had seen it start to hover in the boat right around 65 mph.

On my 08 I had the cooler cushion come up and move to the center of the boat--pre-velcro. Luckily I had stopped for gas and discovered it had moved. Would have been a big bummer to get to the Flint river mini jam and not have all my seats.

tprkolbas
05-08-2009, 01:22 PM
never had a problem with my seats flying out - been on a couple 500 + mile trips.

the wake with the gravity 3 is not a bad wake for beginner - intermediate riders. make sure the wake plate is all the way up & put some weight in the front if you can. i'll be trying out my new ballast configuration today - twin 750's in the lockers, 400 in the center & 600 in the bow (integrated bow sac). i'll try to get the wakeboard & surf report out in the next day or 2.

Form&Function
05-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Is it normal for the steering to have a little play in it?

Razzman
05-08-2009, 05:21 PM
Every boat i've ever driven has a slight amount of play.

tprkolbas
05-08-2009, 05:28 PM
twin 750's in the lockers, 400 in the center, and 500-600 in the integrated bow sac, wake plate all the way up, perfect pass set at 23.7mph, rope length was about 70 feet = huge, beefy, solid wake. i got some massive air well out into the flats. it was almost effortless to do w2w jumps. the other guys loved it too.

if i would have had maybe 1-2 more people in the boat preferably in the bow, i don't know if it could have gotten any better.

one problem - the fill valve snapped right off because the fill hose was a little short and the bags were getting full. luckily, we came up with a plug to solve the problem. off to the dealer in the morning to get a new one and a spare just in case i do it again.

Form&Function
05-08-2009, 05:39 PM
TPR,I think I am going to order the same thing and just get it over with.Did you get a chance on the surfwake?

Razzman
05-08-2009, 06:27 PM
TIP: When changing to 750's in the rear lockers pull the rear bench and using the quick releases on the ballast manifold, disconnect the hoses and re-route/move the hoses for the longest reach. You'll find that not only do they reach just fine but it comes out cleaner looking.

Form&Function
05-08-2009, 10:41 PM
I don't think I have a manifold.Looks like three through hulls with ball valves and ballast puppies.Fills in about three minutes too.

Razzman
05-09-2009, 12:02 AM
Ahh that's right they changed the system.

Form&Function
05-09-2009, 09:02 AM
Ed,the boat more than likely was built for the 750's but due to capacity ratings they can't sell them installed.About the pumps I think they fill in just over three minutes but I will have to clock it next time we go out.whatever the case it was a definate improvement over the tige I used to own.

Hillbilly
05-09-2009, 10:58 AM
I don't know if the bow space is needed on your boat ? But if not I run the triangle bow sac from Flyhigh that sits on top of the seats and it fills the bow up. I got the 750's but have not put them in yet, But when I do I'm hoping to take some weight out. I run about 3k in my Lsv and it is good.

Straight answer's

Not built quite as plush as some others

Wake is good with extra weight. But most boats need extra weight !

I think best bang for the buck out there...

I'm very pleased and happy to own a Moomba. I still get a chuckle when my friends asked me why a Moomba, Then I give them a pull and everyone is happy. I do hate the docking lights though (leaking) but I guess it is to be expected when they are always getting water around them when turning around.

tprkolbas
05-09-2009, 04:14 PM
i did surf the wake - i'm not much of a surfer, but it did have a nice curl to it - found the sweet spot very easily. we could have used another person or 2 stacked on that side to make it even better. 10.5 mph / 2400 rpm's is where the engine was at.

Sled491
05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
F & F, from your description you have the snap on covers so you should be golden for Highway running no?

Form&Function
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Yeah,we got the covers but there time consuming for such a short tow.I like the velcro idea so I might try that.

Ed,I checked my manual and the fill time is 3 minutes front/4.5 rear