PDA

View Full Version : transmission and v-drive fluid

98outback
05-04-2009, 12:41 PM
I am going to be changing these fluids today. I am just going to pump out the trans fluid and refill it. But now for the v-drive i will pump out what I can but then should I take out the actual drain plug to get the rest? Isnt there a filter screen that I need to clean?

byronkoz
05-04-2009, 03:44 PM
I was thinking about doing the same thing before summer. How many hours before these need to be done? I have just under 150 right now.

08blackmobius
05-05-2009, 09:09 AM
Not sure about the filter screen, but the manufacturer recommends changing both of these fluids at the 20 hr mark and then every 100 hours or annuallys whichever comes first. I just suck mine out using a fluid sucker and then refill, very easy.

05-05-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm going to be doing this in the very near future since my dealer went bust. Now a few questions:

1) What brand of fluids should be used to refill?
2) What is a good style/brand of "sucker" to use for draining the fluids?

05-12-2009, 02:13 AM
No suggestions on a good fluid pump? I'm going to buy one tomorrow, so if anyone can reccommend something, that would be great.

98outback
05-12-2009, 06:17 AM
I had one from harbor freight and it was a piece of junk. Now I just use a drill pump from napa. Seems to pull the fluids out better then the hand pumps.

JesseC
05-12-2009, 01:37 PM
On the V-drive there is a filter screen on the bottom most hose where it enters the housing, should come off the left side of the pump if you are looking at it from the bow. It is about 1.5" long and is round. I cleand mine for the first time at around 200 hours and there was hardly anything on it. So now I have gone to cleaning it every other year. When you drain out the V-drive you should be able to get about a quart out of it. It is tricky to get the sucker wand all the way to the bottom of the V-drive, I have a small one about the size of a #2 pencil. I always replace it with Valvoline staight 30 (SAE 30) and would not suggest using anything synthetic. As for the Trans, you should be able to get just shy of two quarts out.

JesseC
05-12-2009, 01:44 PM
Also, the pump I use looks like the one below, I got it at a local autoparts store for around 60$. I took the top of it off and filled it with water marking every half quart with a sharpy so I knew how much fluid I had extracted. Sometimes you just don't know how much to put back so I just look at the markings on the pump and put back the same amount that I took out. Just make sure whatever you are extracting was full prior to pulling the fluid out.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/astro/7815a.jpg

kaneboats
05-12-2009, 02:53 PM
That's the one I have too. I don't know where it came from cuz my brother gave it to me after he sold his waverunner. It works great though except for the fact there are no markings for volume (see post above).

Waynes345
05-12-2009, 03:12 PM
I got this one from Skidim for about $60. Well made with the measurements on it. Strong vacuum.

05-12-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks a lot guys, going to buy one this afternoon and going to get the boat all ready for a year of riding! I'm so pumped.

moombadaze
05-12-2009, 03:58 PM
I am on my 3rd pump now-
1st was the pump you add to a drill--worked ok-but messey,
2nd was the type you hook to the boat battery--piece of junk.
3rd--same type JesseC has and after 3yrs works great.

JesseC
05-12-2009, 04:04 PM
I am on my 3rd pump now-
1st was the pump you add to a drill--worked ok-but messey,
2nd was the type you hook to the boat battery--piece of junk.
3rd--same type JesseC has and after 3yrs works great.

I have been using mine for about 4 years now. Also works great for servicing the lawnmowers and pulling trans fluid out of the truck so the pan is not quite so full when changing the trans filter!!

05-14-2009, 02:28 AM
Ok, so I have a question now. Ohe oil speced for the Vdrive is SAE30. Does that mean 10W30 is fine? I bought Penzoil 10W30 but haven't actually changed this fluid yet.

Thanks for all the great tips.

Took the boat to the marina tonight and let it run on the trailer for a 10-15 minutes to let the engine warm up before i changed the oil. I noticed for a short time after I revved the engine a bit that the temp went way up but then came down. I got a little worried. has anyone else ever noticed this?

98outback
05-14-2009, 06:19 AM
Could be that your water impeller is old and worn out or you dont have enough water pressure from teh hose. I notice if I run my boat on the hose from my well i dont get as much pressure as if I use the house off the city water. Temps seem to be a little higher on the well but still within range.

mcdye
05-14-2009, 07:51 AM
Ok, so I have a question now. Ohe oil speced for the Vdrive is SAE30. Does that mean 10W30 is fine? I bought Penzoil 10W30 but haven't actually changed this fluid yet.

Thanks for all the great tips.

Took the boat to the marina tonight and let it run on the trailer for a 10-15 minutes to let the engine warm up before i changed the oil. I noticed for a short time after I revved the engine a bit that the temp went way up but then came down. I got a little worried. has anyone else ever noticed this?

I would use SAE30.

When you first start the water temp will go up above normal a little, then once the theromsat opens should drop back down.

As mentioned, once it is warm and temp changes, check the fresh water impeller. If not sure when last change....definitly check it.

kaneboats
05-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Also works great for servicing the lawnmowers and pulling trans fluid out of the truck so the pan is not quite so full when changing the trans filter!!

Thanks for the tip. I need to change the mower oil and I usually make quite a mess doing this. This will help immensely. And I also need to service my tranny on the Suburban. I have taken a cooling line loose and pumped out fluid but using the ole sucker will make this much easier. I would never have even thought of it (not sure why my brain compartmentalizes boat stuff with boat maintenance like that -- probably because I'm an old outboard guy). I owe you a cold one Jesse.

JesseC
05-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks for the tip. I need to change the mower oil and I usually make quite a mess doing this. This will help immensely. And I also need to service my tranny on the Suburban. I have taken a cooling line loose and pumped out fluid but using the ole sucker will make this much easier. I would never have even thought of it (not sure why my brain compartmentalizes boat stuff with boat maintenance like that -- probably because I'm an old outboard guy). I owe you a cold one Jesse.

No problem, I am looking forward to that cold one!! I was making the same mess with my mower just leeting the oil run on the deck and cleaning it up before buying the evac pump. I use it on everything except fuel. Has made re-using coolant easy when changing vehicle water pumps. I just unbolt the lid, clean it out real good and then pull all the anit freeze out, change the pump and then put it back, no more waste!!

kaneboats
05-15-2009, 10:35 AM
Avoid the antifreeze mess when changing water pumps? Make that two cold ones.

jrunyen79
05-17-2009, 11:54 PM
I dont know if someone mentioned it yet, but what type of fluid goes in the transmission. Standard ATF? or something else. I have an 07 LSV

mcdye
05-18-2009, 07:59 AM
I dont know if someone mentioned it yet, but what type of fluid goes in the transmission. Standard ATF? or something else. I have an 07 LSV

Go to Moomba home site..You can download the manuals if you dont have one. It will give the recommended fuilds.