PDA

View Full Version : Perfectpass

lowdrag
03-05-2004, 03:11 AM
Just a question for any of you with experience installing your own perfectpass. Input from Brian would also be appreciated. I spoke with a Moomba regional rep. last week at the Indianapolis boat show. He said in the newer Moomba boats it is possible to install a perfectpass without having to install the second paddlewheel in the hull. He said the newer boats use a paddlewheel that is capable of handling the extra devices and that all you have to do is "T" into the wires running into the existing speedo. He also said that you can order the system without the paddlewheel and it will save you about $125. I checked with my local dealer who said the price would be the same because they would have to make an extra wiring harness. I'll withhold their name because up to now they've given me great service. I just feel I'm getting the run around a little on this issue. Anyone out there with any experience/opinions on this matter.

Thanks for the input.

Brian Raymond
03-06-2004, 10:49 PM
Lowdrag, what up? What year and model boat do you have. The only extra harness needed on the P.P. system, was if the boat was outfitted with the Kysor/Medallion digital dash in 2000. In 2001 the transom paddle wheels were used and were compatable with the P.P. system, however, it would not give water temp, and it was not very accurate if the paddle wheels were not adjusted correctly, or you went into a turn. The thru-hull paddle wheel is recommended in this case, and using for the P.P. gauge and speedo. This allows you to remove the hardware and patch the transom. If it is a newer boat, I would contact; [email protected], and find out what's up. Brian Raymond

lowdrag
03-07-2004, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Brian, the Mobius is an '03 LS. I've e-mailed the perfectpass tech service and am still waiting to hear back from them. I guess I'm slightly confused at this point. From your post I think I understand that the transom paddlewheel is different from the thru-hull paddlewheel. I'm assuming the transom paddlewheel is one that's mounted at the rear of the boat. The paddlewheel in my Mobius I'm assuming is a thru hull as it looks identical to the pictures shown on the p.p. web site and is mounted somewhere in front of the motor. I'm making another assumption at this point that the paddlewheel in my boat would not have the accuracy problems you spoke of. Would the paddlewheel in my boat be able to take advantage of the temperature function? If not, would the p.p. paddlewheel be a clean swap for the current one and would it be able to run both the p.p. system and the boat's speedo? I'm just trying to figure out whether I can do the whole install myself on this. Installing the system doesn't bother me, but I cringe at the thought of having to put a hole in the hull to install a second paddlewheel for everything to work correctly. I know most of this is an issue for p.p. Hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon, but just thought I'd throw it out there to see if anyone had the answers.

Thanks again.

ProXman
03-08-2004, 01:28 PM
I too am thinking of installing PP on my '01 mobius with MPI. In talking with a rep from Tige he clams all you have to do with their boats to install PP is to plug into the paddle wheel and plug a wiring harness into the MPI engine. Is this the same for Moomba? I would assume so because it is the same engine.

lowdrag
03-08-2004, 06:36 PM
I got word back from p.p. So far, all I can determine is that the factory paddlewheel will work. They say the price is the same as they do have to send a special harness to hook it up this way. I guess I'll have to call them to determine what this $100+ harness actually does. Sounds to me like it's something I could make myself but I'll check into it. No word from them yet whether or not the factory paddlewheel has the sensor in it that will pick up the temp. or whether the p.p. paddlewheel will run the factory speedo if you replace the factory paddlewheel with it.

Brian Raymond
03-09-2004, 12:29 AM
Your factory installed paddle wheel will tell temp. It is a 5 wire harness from the paddle wheel, three are used for the speedo, and there is a brown wire and a white wire taped in the harness by the speedo conection to be used for temp. readings on the P.P. If you require a faxable wiring diagram, contact; [email protected]. Brian Raymond

lowdrag
03-09-2004, 01:45 AM
Cool, now to see if I can't work with p.p. to get a little price break. Thanks Brian and everyone else.

alwaysriding
03-29-2004, 02:03 PM
Any word on getting a price break on PP? I've looked at the diagrams and instructions on the PP website, and it definitely looks like something I could install myself. Interested to know the price you got, and what you had to ask to include/disclude from the package. Did you get the Moomba branded gauge? Also wondering what I'll do with a spare Moomba speedometer...

mtvfiremedic
03-29-2004, 03:35 PM
also installing PP on my 2002 Mobius LSV - looking for the wakeboard pro.. with moomba logo - The question still remains.. did you have to get the $100 harness..?.... Any price break talking to Perfect Pass directly..? can we use our existing thru hull bottom mount paddlewheel and will that one on the 2002 LSV tell the temp...?
looking to order and do this very soon... anyone else done it on a 2002/2003 LSV and want to share mounting pics since the ones on the PP website are for MC or Nautique.. and not a Moomba? i have the 320HP engine if it matters..
Thanks for the help
Brian

lowdrag
04-07-2004, 05:41 AM
The word I got directly from p.p. is that there is no price break if you don't buy the paddlewheel. They state the same thing about the additional wiring harness. I need to look into the harness yet and see if it's just wires and if I could make my own. There is a site that is selling the wakeboard pro for $998, I'll have to look it up again. They also offer an additional discount if you're a member of a waterskiing club, which you can probably do for about $20 and save some more money. The paddlewheel for the p.p. is the same one used in late model moombas. For you guys with '02's you may want to double check but I know for sure '03's are fine. And yes, the factory paddlewheel does have the temp. sensor built in it already so it will function with the p.p.

mtvfiremedic
04-08-2004, 11:42 PM
Brian Raymond.. any comment on the 02 boats with paddlewheel working with perfect pass and whether or not the temp sensor is on the 02 paddlewheel????