PDA

View Full Version : ski and wakeboard school around Tampa?

FearTheElf
05-02-2009, 09:08 AM
I'm hoping some of the members on here in the Florida area could give me some pointers on a good ski school around Tampa. I'll be in Tampa the week of Memorial Day visiting my sister, and was thinking about hitting up something for a day or two. Is that even possible, or do these schools only do multi-day programs?

I would say I'm an intermediate open-water slalom skier, I have never run a course. On the wakeboard, I guess I'm a beginner (I can get up, go back and forth across the wake, get in the air a little, that's about it). Thus I'm looking to improve my slalom form and technique, and get a better handle on the basics of wakeboarding.

Maxpower, I see you went to McCormick Ski School - would you recommend them?

Or if someone in the area just wants a driver/skier for a day, I would be glad to accommodate that as well :D

maxpower220
05-02-2009, 10:26 AM
That is the only school that I have gone to, so what do I know. I did learn a lot in just one session. I was not in "ski shape" and was using a ski and bindings that were too big for me. I would highly recommend that you bring your own ski/board. They have CC 196/206 boats and 5 or six different skis to ride. They have a CC 210 (I think) if you want to board behind a boat for lessons and they have a cable park.
You should give them a call for the prices. I did one lesson and it was $45. There was someone there doing a half day program. I am pretty sure they will accomadate you in any way that you need.

jasonba1
05-02-2009, 03:47 PM
In the tampa area actually in seffner is the famous mccormicks skis school and cable park, great guys and very reasonable

FearTheElf
05-08-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm about an hour east of Tampa. Your welcome to come surfing on martha.

Edit:

Actually, I'd love to have you ski behind my boat.

That way you could report back to the nay sayers about how good of a ski wake that the 2009 OBV puts out.

I have a couple Kidder skis with dual hi-wraps (large) & varying lengths you can choose from.

Thanks for the offer Ed! Maybe we could work out something. Shoot me an email at [email protected].

That is the only school that I have gone to, so what do I know. I did learn a lot in just one session. I was not in "ski shape" and was using a ski and bindings that were too big for me. I would highly recommend that you bring your own ski/board. They have CC 196/206 boats and 5 or six different skis to ride. They have a CC 210 (I think) if you want to board behind a boat for lessons and they have a cable park.
You should give them a call for the prices. I did one lesson and it was $45. There was someone there doing a half day program. I am pretty sure they will accomadate you in any way that you need.

Thanks for the info Max. I did my first run of the season last week, and I'm just now getting over the soreness... you know how it is, over-indulging because you are so excited to be back on a ski! Hopefully I get a couple more runs in before heading to the sunshine state. I do have a ski bag, so I'll check with the airline on how obnoxious their fee would be to check it as luggage.