PDA

View Full Version : Beaching a V-DRIVE?

XLV3BAGR
05-01-2009, 10:33 PM
Hey MOOMBIES, Im awaiting my Mobi, moving up from a i/o stern. Our water is a resevoir with shallow beaches. Our old boat we would just trim up and run it in and up to the beach. It was 18 1/2' so pushing it back out was usually not an issue. Now with this monster MOBI XLV what do I do?. How deep can the depth read before I should stop? I was joking around about this 23' saying the bow would be in the parking lot and the boat would still be in the water:). So, I guess just stop out farther and make the kids swim in?. The one bay is busy and the waves push into the shore, pushing baots farther up. Anchor?, would it hold? Any help/Thanks-3BAGR

newty
05-02-2009, 12:51 AM
I always pull up parallel to the beach, have someone hold the boat while you unload then anchor bow out making sure you have at least 18 inches between the prop and the ground.
There are different anchors for different types of lake bottom but in most situations a danforth for the bow will work and a sand or beach spike for the stern.

These by far are the best and work in most situations but they can be a little spendy but in comparison to a new prop or gelcoat repair on the bottom of the boat they are worth it.
http://www.slideanchor.com/
I picked some up on craigslist for about 1/2 price.

Trashy
05-02-2009, 09:19 AM
I never beach my XLV I always pull in swim step towards the beach use a box anchor from the front of the boat, and a slide anchor from the beach. I do this in a tight channel also with a lot of boat traffic.

sandm
05-02-2009, 11:19 AM
glad our main lake has no shortage of docks. haven't beached yet.

Trashy
05-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I docked my boat once. Afternoon thunderstorm blew thru and the waves that came with it caused the dock to scratch the hell out of the decals on my hull (even with three bumpers).

I will never dock a boat of mine again, unless it's a pontoon boat.

For me, beaching is the absolute best way to go

Ya, that happened to me also. We were in Lake Mohave and a monsoon came through. That beat the crap out of my boat! But thats the price you have to pay not to wait two hours to launch the next day out there.

XLV3BAGR
05-03-2009, 11:07 AM
Thanks guys, I'll go check out some anchors and we'll just have to try it out.

moombadaze
05-03-2009, 11:57 AM
I try to anchor bow out with the stern in about waist deep water using 2 anchors-1 on the front and 1 for the rear, but... if its deep enough and no body else is on the lake i will let the bow rest on the beach -but i would not say i "beach it"

lancesaville
05-03-2009, 04:20 PM
I'm having a similar problem, I'm about to take delivery on my mobius and have no slip on the lake I go to. My folks have a condo w/ slips but they have a barge in their slip so I can't use it. Been trying to figure out what I could do when I want to swing by their place for more than 5 mins, thinking of setting up a mooring buoy about 20 ft out from their dock. I could pull up to their dock and drop peeps off then move over the the buoy and swim back to the dock. Anyone have a better idea ?

csm
05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
lanceaville,
is your lake bulkheaded? ours is, and both of the slips at our lakehouse are taken also. we put a cleat on the corner of one of the slips, and then another cleat away from the slip on the bulkhead. then we just tie the bow to one, and the stern to the other. we put them far enough apart so that there is plenty of room between the boat and the dock and bulkhead, so the boat is a good distance from hitting either of them when it's tied up. you can't get on the boat unless you have someone untie the other end, and then you can pull the boat closer, so it can be a bit of a hassle, but it's pretty safe for the boat, and we don't have to swim in.

Mikey
05-03-2009, 05:53 PM
A mooring bouy is the best way to go if its anchored good and solid. Just leave a little slack in the rope to allow for wave movement etc. Other than the swim in its by far my choice to tie up overnight or through a storm etc if no decent dock space available.

lancesaville
05-03-2009, 07:50 PM
"is your lake bulkheaded? "

well there is 'sea wall' and then the dock runs the length of the wall with slips coming outwards from the boardwalk. Don't think i'd be able to tie off like you can. Think the mooring buoy will be my best bet. Or start saving up to buy a slip from their condo's POA. Not cheap...

jester
05-03-2009, 08:40 PM
I have never beached my boat. I have a few different anchor and a bungee line. I anchor from the bow and back in then secure the back with a rope to the shore. We then let the backline out so the boat will float back out to deeper water. When it is time to go I just use the shore line to pull the boat back in load everyone up float back out and pull the bungee line and then we go. It is always a good idea to have a rope also hooked to the anchor so your night fighting pulling the bungee line up.

aintskeered
05-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Hey all I beached mine for about the first 20 hours... wore threw the gel coat and quick... I ended up putting on a protector they are tough stuff! but I still dont beach any more! Anchor buddy, Its a anchor line with a strech with it. I throw my anchor out with a float on it about 75-100' off shore with it attached to the back of the boat. motor on to shore. unload every one and then attach a bow line which I let pull the boat back off shore about 15' and then secure the bow line.

When we are ready to go play for a set I pull the boat back ashore, load every one and un snap the bow line, The anchor buddy pulls us off shore a ways and then we unhook from it and go play for a while, on the way back to shore somone will grab the float and re attach to the stern when I drive by it and again motor to shore and re attach the bow line. Big wind storms I will let the bow line pay out a ways further for more room against the shore.