PDA

View Full Version : Removing ski pylon

Burke
05-01-2009, 12:09 AM
I have a 97 Outback DD, and I'd love to remove the ski pylon. I've tried loosening up the three bolts that are easily accessible via the bilge cover/engine area. But, the thing didn't even budge.

Has anybody else successfully done this? Are there other bolts holding this thing in (beside the three readily accessible ones)?

Thanks

BensonWdby
05-01-2009, 01:02 AM
The DD Outback is a ski boat. It is resisting you by nature ...

Waynes345
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
The DD Outback is a ski boat. It is resisting you by nature ...

Now that was funny!

kaneboats
05-01-2009, 03:10 PM
Especially because it's true.

Burke
05-02-2009, 01:34 PM
While it definitely was meant to be a ski boat, it doesn't resist throwing a pretty huge wake with some weight in it! :)

So nobody has done this? Anybody? ......

zegm
05-04-2009, 12:54 PM
Now if you remove the ski pylon it will upset the natural balance of things. The boat will get confused and will most likely start crabbing sideways! ;)

I think you have a bit of corrosion going on there, if you don't mind damaging the pylon then I would suggest a BIG pipe wrench to twist it and break it free. If you can find a big strap wrench you could also try this without it marring the pylon. Also try shooting some PB Blaster over that area, this stuff is great at freeing up corroded parts. I had an old MasterCraft and we could never keep the thing tight, I was always down there tightening those set screws!!

Waynes345
05-04-2009, 04:38 PM
I know one sure fire way to get mine loose and that's skiing hard behind it.