PDA

View Full Version : Steering

Atlanta owner
04-30-2009, 05:50 PM
OK....I am a past Sea Ray owner with an i/o stern drive. I took my new xlv gravity games out last weekend and had some trouble steering while going very slow. I realize it's a different "feel"...But in a "no-wake" zone I really struggled....And docking in a close space was difficult. Tips or advise?

jester
04-30-2009, 06:01 PM
Have lots of people on the boat to push you off of other boats. You still start to get a better feel for the steering over time. A little more speed also makes the steering more responsive.

Sled491
04-30-2009, 06:56 PM
Yep it's just how it is. trying bumping the speed up just a bit, and learn to modulate the throttle both in forward and reverse when docking. Remember in reverse you only really turn to the right. Left turns in reverse are tricky at best and will take some time to learn.

Remember you now have a rudder not a lower unit where the force of the prop is directional. You need movement to make a turn now.

On the docking thing try to remember your limitations and set yourself up for a smooth landing before approaching the dock or landing.

wolfeman131
04-30-2009, 10:02 PM
We went from I/O to the Moomba also and found this was a must for us when docking while learning how the Moomba handles.
http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd344/wolfeman131/31CC4X33E2L__SS500_.jpg

Aquaholic
04-30-2009, 10:30 PM
I would advise you to approach the dock at ruffy a 30 degree angle and use the in gear out of gear way to control speed and drift. Once close turn the wheel hard right to swing the rear of the boat in. The whole thing is practice, practice practice.

Just remember to only go as fast as your willing to hit something advice.

Aqua

Sled491
04-30-2009, 10:37 PM
I would advise you to approach the dock at ruffy a 30 degree angle and use the in gear out of gear way to control speed and drift. Once close turn the wheel hard right to swing the rear of the boat in. The whole thing is practice, practice practice.

Aqua

That's hillarious

csm
04-30-2009, 10:39 PM
I came from a Sea Ray I/O also. The tip that has helped me the most is to bump the throttle as often as you need to. Go into gear for a split second to get you going in the right direction, and then into neutral. Once you start going offline again, bump it into gear, and then into neutral. I'll do this pretty much every 2-3 seconds when docking, especially if it's windy.

I'm not sure I'll ever get used to basically having no control in reverse, but knowing what the boat will do is 90% of the battle.

kaneboats
05-01-2009, 11:40 AM
If the wind is coming from the starboard side you can actually back up in a straight line. Agree with extra hands and extra lines.

jester
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Also with the extra hands make sure you tell them exactly what to do. Even if you have smart people onboard they dont always understand to grab the dock and hold on or walk forward.

XLV3BAGR
05-01-2009, 10:25 PM
Im awaiting my new XLV and am switching from a Searay i/o stern also. Im a little nervous about this, mainly for my wife. She always unloads and loads as I back-up the trailer. On a single ramp with a ramp on either side, while backing down it would be best to go on the right side then? If I can learn the most here and seem like I know what I'm doing when we take it out it will help the situatoun with her. She loved the SeaRay but theres no doubt in my mind when we get it it will be worth it. Thanks-3BAGR

Sled491
05-03-2009, 12:12 AM
What can we say. This is oh so familiar for most of us and our learning curves. Just don't try to fool anyone and take your time.

jmvotto
05-03-2009, 08:01 AM

Aqua

Aqua, i will have to try it from that direction, i bring mine from 30 degrees from the port side, bump it into reverse to slide the rear around , then bump forward nice and straight..:D

great adive on the speed , very funny.:p

jester
05-03-2009, 08:43 PM
Sled sad it right. Just take your time. Also don't feel sorry if you keep doing 180's right in the boat launch. I keep doing them becase it is alot easer to drive forward then in reverse. Just watch the depth.

mmandley
05-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Ok ill repost again since my internet went out last night right as i tried to post grrr..

This is what me and my GF do when launching and loading the boat.

I generaly back the truck down to the water, i always try to get the Port < Left lane> as close as i can to the edge of the dock. Then she gets in the truck i get in the boat. She backs it into the water and once i get the boat running and unlatched from the trailer, i will back it off using light to medium throttle to break the dry seal on the trailer bunks.

Once the boat is floating off the trailer ill just push myself threw the pylons and wave her to pull out. If the boat is drifting Right < normaly is > i put it in forward a little and straighten her out. Then put her back in reverse real slow like and she generaly goes back pretty straight.

If your lucky enough to get water currents moving to the Port side then i would lanuch on the Starbard side < right > and you can easily back the boat up becuase the water current will help ya stay straight.

She will park the truck and walk down with the dog.

When i goto dock the boat i come in at the normal 30% angle and when im about 3 or 4 feet from the nose hitting the dock ill put it in reverse slowly and use that as a break and let my GF push the nose off and the rest of the boat will swing around, also using reverse to ease this task and bring the rear of the boat around.

When loading the boat ill do the same for unloading as for trailer positioning. I will aim the nose a little to the right towards that pylon and as the boat gets real close i can reverse it and slow it down, then i will generaly go grab that pylon and center the boat and pull it threw the pylons as much as possible, then get back in and throttle it to the eye hook stop on the nose. If the water is working with me and not against me i can generaly drive it right up real slow but V drives are worthless for slow steering.

One thing i have learned is people who dont own or never been in a V drive have no respect or no idea how hard it is to trailer and un trailer one. They take more time and more coasing since you cant turn them in reverse very well. I always seem to get some person in another O or I/O that loves to pull into the dock as im backing up and expects me to jsut go around him. Im like i have the dock buthead, wait your turn ill be out of it in a minute LOL.

newty
05-04-2009, 10:58 PM
I do the same thing as Mmandley except I make the B!&$h swim.
Ok I'm kidding, she'd kill me if she herd me say that.:p

jester
05-04-2009, 11:06 PM
What you guys dont unhook the boat at the top of the ramp. Back down as fast as you can and once the trailer hits the water slam on the breaks causing the boat to release from the trailer. And during this time asking yourself if you connect the 100 foot line to the bow so you can hop out of the truck really fast before the boat floots away.

Ok that would be ruff. Anyways i thought i was the only one that would back the trailer down the ramp until the boat hits the water then get in the boat and have someone else back me in the 3 more feet. Good to know i am not crazy.

zegm
05-04-2009, 11:45 PM
Gosh wish I could help you but the wife puts the boat on and off the trailer while I drive the truck.
However we both drive to the dock and in the lift! Just practice, practice and practice and after awhile it comes to you and you can put that boat anywhere you want and you won't even think about how you did it! I do know that we never back up very far, the end will start to come around and then you steer the other way drop it in forward and bump the throttle and make her turn on a dime! Again Practice out in the middle of the lake and have some fun doing it!

moombadaze
05-05-2009, 07:25 AM
[quote=Ed G;62332 the bow eye locks into the perfect pass. When this happens, she gives me the thumbs up and off the ramp we go.[/quote]

not the perfect pass---he means the boat buddie 2

kaneboats
05-05-2009, 03:00 PM
I like to take about 30 min. to get the truck perfectly straight with the ramp. Then I go down and test the temperature of the water with my big toe (while I'm blocking the ramp). Then I start unhooking all the tiedowns and taking a separate trip to the truck to stow each one of them. Then I start backing down. Then I stop and get in the boat and put the plug in. Then I get out and go to the truck but oops! I set the keys down when I was in the boat. I climb back into the boat and retrieve the keys. Then I back up till the boat is almost wet. Then I get out and go unhook the winch and look around to see if I can find a bow line. Then I back up a little more till the boat's not quite floating. Then I get out and check to see if I'm straight with the ramp. Then I get out to see if I'm in deep enough. Then I back up a little farther but still not far enough. Then I open the hatch and grab the cooler to put it in the boat. Then I back in just far enough to start the boat. Then I remember I wanted to grab the CD out of the truck stereo so I go get it. Then I check to see if the battery is up but the boat won't even turn over. Of course I then have to start looking around for any jumper cables. Then I back up some more and push the boat off the trailer. Then I paddle over to the dock and tie up (blocking the only other ramp with my boat). Then I walk back up the hill and down the ramp to my truck. Then I pull the truck out and go park way over on the other side of the lot in the shade. Then I come back and start asking people for a jump. Finally I get is started and realize it's about out of gas. So I go get the truck to load up for a quick run to the station. When I come back I take about 30 min. to get the truck perfectly straight with the ramp. Then I go down and test the temperature of the water with my big toe (while I'm blocking the ramp) . . . And I do all this at about noon on Memorial Day.

fingerstick
05-05-2009, 03:17 PM
i hear you on that! I like to get into an argument with my wife on the ramp and talk about her parents in front of everybody! Then yell at her for embarrassing me!Not really,but I have seen the Fattersons` do this with their pontoon and load and unload on the courtesy dock including groceries,kids,toys and dogs that do not wish to go on the lake!

moombadaze
05-05-2009, 03:18 PM
Pat, You forgot important step--that you also have to hand walk each kid down to the water first so they can also stick there little big toe in and check the temp and then hand walk them back up the ramp to the truck and make sure they get rebuckled in before the next kid gets to be hand walked down to check the temp. Luckily you only have 6 kids:D

jester
05-05-2009, 04:55 PM
See you did this all wrong. You have it almost right on getting the boat in the water. You have to also get the boat about half way down and load up the wakeboard gear making sure to have the trailer blocking both lanes. Then once the boat is in the water you have an important step of leaving your wife on the dock only holding the bow line and letting the ass of the boat block both lanes of the boat ramp. By blocking both lanes you make it so no one else can launch or recover well you mess around.

that is what makes everyone so happy to be on the lake.

mmandley
05-05-2009, 06:26 PM
You guys are killing me here LOL LOL LOL. Ever since i joined this site its been my first thing i do while drinking my morning coffee, afternoon coffee and yea ok i admit my evening coffee LOL.

Listening to some of these launching things remind me and im just Jester has done this, ill go sit in the no wake zone and watch people launching and loading there boats at Dexter for humor. Ill sit there jamming out and drinking a cold one < non beer beverage for you shore patrols > and jsut crack up at the antics people go threw, i love the bow lines, and the best so fare was the couple at Dexter who has a Mastercraft and the guy backed the truck in and waited while his wife missed the trailer completely 6 times before he finally took over and did it him self LOL. It wasn't even like she was close and jsut missed, she would be dead center and coming right in perfect the she would throw it in reverse to slow it down i assume and just turn that nose around and have to re circle.

mmandley
05-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Ohh yes whats this Boat Buddy you speak of? You jsut drive up on the trailer and it clicks and locks you on? I generally have to drive up and then lean over the front and ratchet it the tie down down as tight as i can. I made the mistake of not having the boat all the way at the eye to the winch position Once, just Once and i spent 20 minutes on land winching that dam thing as hard as i could to pull the boat about 3 inches so the nose wouldn't bounce..Dam that boat is heavy LOL

jester
05-05-2009, 09:14 PM
I am almost sure Active has them and will install them. The only problem i have been told they have and have seen is if the boat is off by a little you can bend the pin and you will have to remove the whole system. I was thinking about getting one installed but well i have been lazy. Also watching other boaters is a lot of fun as long as i am not waiting to use the ramp. Also if you give some "Kind words" too someone about how they can improve using the boat ramp and not be a total idiot be ready for a little fight on the boat ramp.

mmandley
05-05-2009, 10:09 PM
Yea im tempted to offer my help and such but then again i know how defensive some people can be when you try to offer help because they think you think there incompetent.

SO fare thought except the old man in the fishing boat yelling at me because he pulled in behind me in the ramp when i was backing my boat up and i said i cant go left to get around you so move the hell out of the way.. Everyone i met with boats has been super nice.

Ill be looking into a boat buddy but doubt i let AWS install is unless they are reasonable boat dealers are like car dealers they have to make there money and generally its the service department..i mean 100 for an oil change? 150 to drain your engine of water and winterize it? Then another 100 to Summarize it.. With my mechanical background and working at a Ford dealer for 4 years when i was younger i hope to be able to learn and do my own maintenance as much as i can.

Save the 20Hrs service coming up i have to let AWS do that for warranty sake. That will cost me around 250 ouch.

Sled491
05-05-2009, 10:37 PM
Oh man KB that was brilliant. You took this whole thing to the next level:)

My favorite local radio station does a thing every year about funny boat launch stories. Cracks me up every time. I love my wife zooming in and driving up on the trailer infront of everyone. Bing bang boom were outta hear suckers. I can tell it makes a lot of husbands jealous:)

Waynes345
05-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Oh man KB that was brilliant. You took this whole thing to the next level:)

My favorite local radio station does a thing every year about funny boat launch stories. Cracks me up every time. I love my wife zooming in and driving up on the trailer infront of everyone. Bing bang boom were outta hear suckers. I can tell it makes a lot of husbands jealous:)

My wife has gotten pretty good at getting it in and out of the lift, but won't try either backing the trailer or getting the boat on or off the trailer. I've got to get her out there some day when no one is around. Not as big a deal now that I have a lift and can leave the boat on the lake as it was when I pulled it every weekend.

Sled491
05-06-2009, 07:12 AM
Wayne, let your wife know driving off the trailer is the easiest thing going. My wife is good with the trailer also. Because of my schedule there is no shortage of times that she is taking the boat somewhere to meet me for a weekend. She even used to pull our race hauler by herself back in the day, and for those who have never met my wife she is a tiny woman all of about 115lbs, 107 when shes been training for a Tri. To see this little woman manhandling a rig like ours makes me smile :)

kaneboats
05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Well, my wife's got a ways to go before she will be meeting me anywhere with the rig. She is able to go put the truck away (going forward only) after I launch. She can also now drop me off at the dock and then drive the boat onto the trailer (and so can my 15 y/o daughter).

I can't have a boat buddy till I replace my winch stand. I have a replacement trailer that was from a Tige boat. It's a perfect fit at the back but the bow roller is in the wrong spot so the bow eye has to pass over the roller going on and off. I've adjusted the winch stand forward and back and up and down but it's design is just wrong for the boat. It's easy to power on to bump the eye over the roller, but harder to bump it back over the roller in reverse to launch.

One of these days I'll go look for a winch stand that will work properly. If anybody has replaced one, please send me a link.

jester
05-06-2009, 11:59 AM
Ed,

Thanks. That is a big help to know. That sounds like a really quick install.

Also since we have been talking about boat ramps i found this online at boatexcape.com and thought i would share.

http://www.boatescape.com/images/boatramptroubles.jpg

mmandley
05-06-2009, 04:08 PM
OMG i think i know people who would try that too LOL.

As for the Boat Buddy, i was ready a lot of reviews and there not so good. There is a lot of chatter how for Wake Boarding boats it scratches the nose all up and with the weight of the boat, when you go to pull out of the water it puts so much pressure on the locking pin that it wont unlock at launch time. Also after some use the locking pin becomes lose and wont go into the locking hole as easily creating an even bigger problem locking the boat on.

Most of the review people have went back to or got the new Big Roller like the Mommbas come with now from the factory.

Just something i found last night makes me nervous. I would never forgive myself if i bought something to make it easier to load the boat but then did physical damage to my boat in return.

SanMarzano
05-06-2009, 04:43 PM
65' Custom Built Motoryacht, staterooms, gps navigation, twin supercharged diesels, etc. = $ 2.5 million.

Crane and Rigging complete with faulty turnbuckle = $2,500 per hour.

Champagne and Strawberries, dockside, for the excited "soon to be owners" = $250.00.

Watching your dreamboat nose dive into the harbor, accompanied by two corporate representatives just prior to "inking" the final paperwork........

Priceless.....................................

http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=11234

Sled491
05-06-2009, 08:12 PM
that's just crazy:)

moombadaze
05-07-2009, 07:22 AM

As for the Boat Buddy, i was ready a lot of reviews and there not so good. There is a lot of chatter how for Wake Boarding boats it scratches the nose all up and with the weight of the boat, when you go to pull out of the water it puts so much pressure on the locking pin that it wont unlock at launch time. Also after some use the locking pin becomes lose and wont go into the locking hole as easily creating an even bigger problem locking the boat on.

Most of the review people have went back to or got the new Big Roller like the Mommbas come with now from the factory.

Just something i found last night makes me nervous. I would never forgive myself if i bought something to make it easier to load the boat but then did physical damage to my boat in return.

I have had the boat buddie on at least 5 different boat trailers and never had one issue with any of them except this last one. But I rarely really drove the boat on the trailer to make the pin work--normally would just crank it the last 6" or so. Now this last boat buddie has found its way to the trash can-the pin or something was off from manufacturing and would not go in. If you get one, one key thing when launching is to release the pin before backing down the ramp--keep the strap hooked to the bow. Even with the last one being a pain in the ass i would still recomend them.

mmandley
05-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Yea i can understand what your saying and it makes since about the boat buddy. I think im just nervous about it. I am not real fond of the marks the neoprene roller is leaving eighter. It has a big flat spot from the boat sitting on it on the trailer. When the boat comes up on the trailer it will hit the nose at the D ring comes in and leave marks. They rub right off but i still don't like it lol.

I think this is one of those items if i saw someone with one and seen how it worked more i would be more comfortable. I would love to get something so i dont have to do the lean over the bow to latch and unlatch the boat. I could jsut get in the water i guess but im more nervouse about unlatching the boat and not being or having someone in it in case it desides to launch its self.

She whispers to me at night telling me how much she wants to be in the lake when i walk by her in the garage.

Sled491
05-07-2009, 07:25 PM
Personally as many years as I have owned boats and driven them on trailers I've never been comforatable driving it all the way home like that. I like to go almost then crank it the last 6 to 12 inches and snug it up.

I do really like the idea of the boat buddy, I just can't bring myself to drive up to it. Plus really at the end of the day we're talking loading and unloading like 4 times a year. Put it in, take it out for the jamboree, put it in at the jamboree, pull it out and put it back in at the lake and back onto the lift, out for winter.

WadsworthSunsport22V
05-08-2009, 04:54 PM

I am a 07 Supra owner. My Boatmate trailer came with a Boat Buddy (or as I refer to the boat enemy). This is my first boat that we trailer. (I am used to sail boats). The Boat Buddy's concept is good a one, it just does not always work, and can cause damage. I made the mistake of getting the bow below the Boat Buddy, and chipping of a quarter size of gel coat, not an inexpensive repair. Also, many times the boat will slip back on trailer just a small amount, but enough to cause tremendous pressure on the Boat Buddy's pin, thus making it almost impossible to release during launch, unless you sink the trailer so the boat is floating.

My Supra is Black, so I cannot see the black marks that the Boat Buddy leaves, but if I rub my hand over the hull, I can feel the marks. I am sure if I looked closer, I would see some scuff marks. Many people on the Supra BB complain that the Boat Buddy leaves scuffs marks on their boats.

Personally as many years as I have owned boats and driven them on trailers I've never been comforatable driving it all the way home like that. I like to go almost then crank it the last 6 to 12 inches and snug it up.

I do really like the idea of the boat buddy, I just can't bring myself to drive up to it. Plus really at the end of the day we're talking loading and unloading like 4 times a year. Put it in, take it out for the jamboree, put it in at the jamboree, pull it out and put it back in at the lake and back onto the lift, out for winter.

I agree with you. I do not feel comfortable driving an expensive toy up the trailer, then slamming it into a $80.00 plastic, metal thing. I know I am a little more paranoid now after learning from my past mistakes. I get the boat very close to the trailer, jump onto the dock with a 30 foot line, and pull the boat on the trailer. I then grab the winch, and pull the boat up to the Boat Buddy until it "clicks". I can do this in about 60 seconds. It just take patients. But patients saves me $$$$$.

Sled491
05-09-2009, 09:29 PM
Your preaching to the choir brother:)