PDA

View Full Version : slalom ski

mustangairchair
04-28-2009, 11:17 PM
has any one tryed one of the slalom ski that is very wide at the tip?does it make it eazer to get up? what does it handle and cut like. i have a couple of people that are new slalom skiers and can't deep water start ,so i was thinking of getting one of the fat front ski so they could get up eazer. i have a convo pro and no one can get up on it but me. but when you get up man can you put out a killer spray with this baby cuts like crazzzzzzzzzzzy

zabooda
04-29-2009, 01:07 AM
I tried one when they first came out. It felt like a hybrid ski with a wakeboard feel. I didn't like it at all. Really sluggish for a water ski but would be easier to get up on for beginners and heavy people.

Hoopskier
04-29-2009, 03:10 AM
I haven't tried a dedicated wide body slalom ski but i have been on a pair of combos that were wide body. I generally ski on traditionals. I can slalom ski but don't have a dedicated slalom ski though- not in the budget for one.

My experiance was similar to zabooda's. The ski was easy to get up on. I thought they felt slow and sloppy. My choice at the time was a set of traditional HO combos- Much sharper and faster. Like mentioned wide body skies are probably best for lesser experienced and/or heaver people.

Just to help compare I'm just under 6' tall and 190 lbs.

jmvotto
04-29-2009, 06:55 AM
I looked at the wide body skiis, they really don't perform well. They are good to get up on and move in and out of the wake , but not hard cuts. I tried to slalom on a wide body combo set and just kept sliding out of the turns.

i am an open water skier (no course work yet) I used to ski an Obrien world team comp and competitor, but as i aged it was harder to get up on. i now ski on an Obrien Syncho (shaped ski not wide body)which has a slightly wider tip than normal to help get up but can really rip in the turns for most of us amateurs. I am 5'10 and 215 husky:p

Sled491
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
I have skied a Triumph. Not a complete wide body but still not traditional. Was a bit easier to get up on. The thing was instead of having to ski at 36, I could ski at 32, the slow down allowed me to work on some stuff. The other thing to remember is that you can't go quite as long or the ski will not perform for you. I went down a size before I felt the ski worked for me.

Mikey
04-29-2009, 04:11 PM
I ski a Triumph for now and it performs quite well. You can drop the speed usually around 2mph and then work on form etc.It like a couple other modified wide body's allow you to come out of the water a little easier but they are not the same as a FATBOY ski. They are usually for very heavy or beginner,intermediate skiers only. It is very easy to overski these skis as they are meant to be skied casually Not hard or they bust loose very quick.

The modified can be skied hard without giving up too much performance whereas fatboy skis are there to allow you to enjoy skiing under a veriety of circumstances,ie weight or abilities.

volfo
04-29-2009, 06:43 PM
I have an HO Comp Freeride series ski. I have the 69" Charger. If you are deep into the course, it's not your ski. But, the guy that owned the ski shop that sold it to me said that he skied at 34 with a vengeance and then at either 30 or 32 with the Comp Free Ride. He said he could ski at more than 30' off with the Comp Freeride at either 30 or 32 - I don't remember. He ski'd both skis so he could compete in both series.

I used to be able to ski 15' off at 34 mph when I was in high school. I used a Connelly Shortline 2 with double wraps. 15 years later and only probably 5 skis later, I needed a new ski. To me, the Comp Freeride made skiing fun again. There is no slide out in the truns. Sure, it doesn't turn as tight as a true performance ski, but I think it's a really good ski.

The Triumph that somone else mentioned earlier is the next step up towards performance from the comp freeride. I have started skiing again a lot more now that I have my LS and I am thinking that if I improve a little more I migiht buy one. Truth is, I'm nowhere near hte potential of hte ski I have, but it's always fun to shop for more toys. I'd take a good look at the Comp Freeride and Triumph series skis by HO.

maxpower220
04-29-2009, 08:38 PM
My wife skis on the Connelly FX with Draft bindings. It is a shaped ski and is medium in size overall. It is easy to get up on and cuts very good. If you are skiing at less than 32, it is a great ski and you can easily run a course on this ski. It does "fall into" a turn faster than normal, but you can get used to that quickly.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=12070&pdesc=Connelly_FX_Slalom_Water_Ski_with_Adjustable _Binding_Rear_Toe_Strap&aID=1A&merchID=1009&r=view

I bought this ski last year with adjustable bindings for visitors to the boat that wanted to try slalom. It is extremely easy to get up on and the adjustable bindings fit most adults. It is very stable and does not fatigue you while riding. A lot of open water skiers loved it. I think you would be hard pressed to go through the course on it, but it would be the only ski that I have that you would try the course at a slow speed <26 mph.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=13719&pdesc=Connelly_Pilot_Slalom_Water_Ski_with_Adjusta ble_Binding_Rear_Toe_Strap&aID=1A&merchID=1009&r=view

I ski on a HO Nitro and a HO Monza. Neither of them are easy to get up on ( for beginners).

Mikey
04-29-2009, 10:55 PM
I should've been a little more specific when i said fatboy skis. Connely pilot and Big daddy come to mind as shaped skis are a differnt breed in themselves. All are fun just find the ones that work for you and what you want and enjoy.

moombadaze
04-30-2009, 07:17 AM
Wish I never got rid of my ski now. Do miss it.

kaneboats
04-30-2009, 12:17 PM
You can use mine any time we get together.

moombadaze
04-30-2009, 01:57 PM
Heck im not sure i could even ski its been so long- but I just might want to someday. Might have to try with the big fat boy widebody ski. To give you a idea how long ago I had a HO mach 1 with double boots.

maxpower220
04-30-2009, 05:03 PM
To give you a idea how long ago I had a HO mach 1 with double boots.

I am pretty sure that HO still makes that ski, or they did until a year or so ago.

http://www.bartswatersports.com/catalog.asp?P=53365

Sled491
04-30-2009, 06:30 PM
My wife skis on the Connelly FX with Draft bindings. It is a shaped ski and is medium in size overall. It is easy to get up on and cuts very good. If you are skiing at less than 32, it is a great ski and you can easily run a course on this ski. It does "fall into" a turn faster than normal, but you can get used to that quickly.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=12070&pdesc=Connelly_FX_Slalom_Water_Ski_with_Adjustable _Binding_Rear_Toe_Strap&aID=1A&merchID=1009&r=view

I bought this ski last year with adjustable bindings for visitors to the boat that wanted to try slalom. It is extremely easy to get up on and the adjustable bindings fit most adults. It is very stable and does not fatigue you while riding. A lot of open water skiers loved it. I think you would be hard pressed to go through the course on it, but it would be the only ski that I have that you would try the course at a slow speed <26 mph.
http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=13719&pdesc=Connelly_Pilot_Slalom_Water_Ski_with_Adjusta ble_Binding_Rear_Toe_Strap&aID=1A&merchID=1009&r=view

I ski on a HO Nitro and a HO Monza. Neither of them are easy to get up on ( for beginners).

That Pilot is what I need to get for guests. Every one says they want to try skiing when they come out with us. We have a pair of Obrien Wide body/Fat Boy combos that get used a lot. My wife uses them when getting in and helping little ones learn to ski.