PDA

View Full Version : pontiac is dead

jjerrod
04-27-2009, 11:25 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2009/LIVING/04/25/pontiac.reaction/index.html

newty
04-28-2009, 04:09 AM
They made some great cars, But there has been little that has rolled out of the pontiac factory in the last 20 that gets my attention. Sad to see a car manufacturer go under but...

moombadaze
04-28-2009, 08:00 AM
Times are changing and its sad.

Sled491
04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
As with all business these days GM needs to become lean and mean if it is too survive. This is a step in the right direction.

sandm
04-29-2009, 10:01 AM
^^totally agree.
I still think they have too many brands at 4. buick should be gone, and make a decision whether it'll be chevy trucks or gm trucks.
look at the imports that are surviving. one main brand and one luxo brand.
should be either gm or chevy and then caddy that survive. just the savings in trimming the redundant executives would be huge...

still can't believe that the unions are not working with them more as well. I would have thought that what's going on in the economy would be a wakeup call to them, but seems they are going down fighting and would rather see no jobs than some at 20% less pay(where they should have been all along).. entitlement is a wonderful thing :)

lancesaville
05-03-2009, 04:23 PM
Great, and I just sold my mint 06 GTO a few weeks ago. Wonder if it's worth more now ? :D Oh well, I'm no that sorry, It helped get my LSV ordered :) :) :)

newty
05-03-2009, 08:35 PM
You know I said that about Pontiac until I saw an 04" GTO in my area, and did a little youtube surfing... Holy rice burner Killer!!! There are some mean GTO's out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyiA670XP7w&feature=related

c.rix
05-03-2009, 09:11 PM
You know I said that about Pontiac until I saw an 04" GTO in my area, and did a little youtube surfing... Holy rice burner Killer!!! There are some mean GTO's out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YyiA670XP7w&feature=related

a good friend on mine has a twin turbo 06 gto Its amazing!!!

Limishowman3
05-03-2009, 10:56 PM
They wouldn't get rid of chevy. They have to revise their marketing strategy b/c of current economic climate. By getting rid of chevy, GM would most likely hurt their company's overall profit. Chevy owners are not just going to switch to GM even though everyone knows they are owned by the same company. Marketing majors should be able to enlighten you more on this. I was just awake that day in class when we covered companies and how they use different brand names to sale to different target markets.

kaneboats
05-04-2009, 10:17 AM
It's about shelf space- more space devoted to your product means less for competitors. So you have Coke, classic coke, diet coke, sprite, diet sprite, caffiene free coke, caf free diet coke, etc. Having all this gets you market share. GM's problem is they have a bunch of exectutives to go with every brand and separate stores for each brand.

Sled491
05-04-2009, 06:54 PM
GM's problem goes much deeper than exec salaries, but all make good points. I'm in the market for a new Diesel PU but now that Dodge is Union owned I'm not sure. I have qualified for GM employee pricing for 12 yrs through my father in law and of all the kids in the family my wife and I are the only ones that have never bought a GM.

I might be simpilying this but to me GM is GM and I'm not a fan of any, no matter what you call it, except the Vette and the Cadi CTS :)

mimoomba
05-05-2009, 08:18 AM
GM's problem goes much deeper than exec salaries, but all make good points. I'm in the market for a new Diesel PU but now that Dodge is Union owned I'm not sure. I have qualified for GM employee pricing for 12 yrs through my father in law and of all the kids in the family my wife and I are the only ones that have never bought a GM.

I might be simpilying this but to me GM is GM and I'm not a fan of any, no matter what you call it, except the Vette and the Cadi CTS :)

Sled,
I'll probably never convince you to change, but if you haven't test drove a Duramax diesel, give it a shot. blows the doors off Ford and Dodge, both empty and towing. Biggest trick is to not completely floor the pedal. Mash it and then back off just a touch and watch the Dodge turn distant in the rear view mirror.:cool:

wolfeman131
05-05-2009, 08:40 AM
Sled,
I'll probably never convince you to change, but if you haven't test drove a Duramax diesel, give it a shot. blows the doors off Ford and Dodge, both empty and towing. Biggest trick is to not completely floor the pedal. Mash it and then back off just a touch and watch the Dodge turn distant in the rear view mirror.:cool:

AHHHHHH, yes mimoomba the Duramax is nice! I don't own one/can't afford one, but my neighbor has the GMC 2500 Crew Cab (totally loaded) with the Allison tranny and it is the most bada$$ truck I've driven. I've pulled his Malibu 247 (I don't own one/can't afford one of these either!) with this truck and you hardly notice that it's back there.

sandm
05-06-2009, 08:26 AM
I can say the same thing about gm as well. granted I don't need a diesel and would probably shop ford if in that market. looking at the 1/2 ton truck market right now, it would be nissan/toyota/ford. gm trucks are just not attractive in their current state, and all the torque in the world isn't worth it if you don't get a smile when walking across a parking lot to it..

will be interesting to see if toyota follows through with plans for the diesel tundra they have been talking about. I thought it was supposed to launch this summer.

Sled491
05-06-2009, 08:17 PM
I heard the same thing about the Toyota. I had a toyota tundra leased for a job we had going in Phoenix for the last 6 mnths. Found the cab small and cheap feeling. Descent power though, but not for me. We pull much bigger trailers than our boat and 1/2 tonne just won't cut it.