PDA

View Full Version : 02 Mobius LSV ballast system

jmaustin
04-27-2009, 06:05 PM
First off, I am a first time Moomba owner and new member here. I bought my 02 LSV at th end of last season, but have only been on the water twice. Reason being my first kid was born in October. Now that I have gotten my priorities back in order I am looking for help on the following.

I bought a ‘02 LSV at the end of last season that was a trade in at a dealer. It has the HIPPO factory system; however, the previous owner removed the pump, sacs, and some of the connection lines. I am looking into getting it all back in order but was told that Moomba discontinued that setup (due to leaks, etc.) and I would have to pony up for a totally new system. Apparently the parts aren’t even available anymore.

My dilemma:
Instead of just paying for a new pump and three sacs, I am looking at a whole new ballast system for $1,500 – $2K.

Questions:
1) I could only find one pump mount, but three switches (one for each sac). Was there some sort of electronic valve system to control the water flow?
2) There are also two intakes through the hull, one goes through the filter (still there) and the other is just capped. Was the second intake just an extra?
3) Is there a way to use what I have with generic parts and make it work? (I wouldn’t mind if I had to install manual valves to control water flow direction.
4) Is there somewhere I can still find the old parts to make it as factory?

Any help or additional info on this system is appreciated.

Brian Raymond
04-27-2009, 11:01 PM
You can contact you dealer for parts pricing. That system has parts still available. I would take the boat to them and have them take a look, to make sure the proper parts are ordered. If distance is an issue, email them a few pix of your set-up, explain the issue, and they can have the parts drop shipped. Hope this helps, keep us p[osted. Brian Raymond

jmaustin
04-28-2009, 09:30 AM
I had talked to the local dealer's parts dept. and they are basically saying that the system is discontinued and no longer available. I asked whether it could be finished out with what I had and generic parts, but the response was that some parts were no longer available and a new system would be the best way to go. So, I am hoping that someone here has some other suggestions to keep the cost down.

mcdye
04-28-2009, 09:42 AM
On my '02 OB LSV, as you stated 2 hull intakes. One for the cooling system and the other for the ballast system. On mine there is one pump on the second intake plumb with basically 3 sprinkle shutoff valves. Each valve is controlled via the switch to open and allow water to flow to the specific bag. If parts not truly available, I am confident you can build your own system very easliy.

JesseC
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
You should definately be able to find all of the parts you need failry cheap. I would suggest getting the 450 lbs V-Drive sacs from fly high and another 450 for the bow. I am using a 2000 gph Rule and some new valves. You will also need three evac pumps for emptying each of the bags. Below is the basic layout of what is in our boats. I have the same model as you do, 02 LSV. If you want more info or need pictures or measurements, please PM me and I will send you my phone number. You were also correct on the single fill pump and multiple switches, when you flip any of the three switches the pump starts and the coresponding valve opens to direct the flow of water.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/BallastLayout.jpg

JesseC
04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
Also, it is true that our current configuration has been discontinued, but I have replaced about 90% of my system with aftermarket parts including all of the fittings except for the front locker.

jmaustin
04-29-2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks JesseC, just what I was looking for. PM sent.

I love pictures/diagrams because I get bored reading step-by-step.

jasonwm
04-30-2009, 01:44 AM
If you're essentially starting from a blank sheet, I would recommend making some modifications to make the system faster and more reliable. If you want some input, let me know and I would be happy to post some additional information.

yearround
04-30-2009, 10:10 AM
If you're essentially starting from a blank sheet, I would recommend making some modifications to make the system faster and more reliable. If you want some input, let me know and I would be happy to post some additional information.

i think we all like free information, go ahead and post it up, it may help him, or someone else who has a similar question.

so far, the only changes i have made to my system has been to take the spring out of the valves and i changed the 400# surf side sac with a 650 bag. the 650 fits better than the 750 (imo) and i can surf great now.

ORIF
05-05-2009, 03:53 PM
I am in the same situation and would appreciate advice on rebuilding a faster more reliable system from those who have experience.

Thanks in advance

jasonwm
05-05-2009, 05:28 PM
I'm working a detailed write up of what we would do in this situation. I apologize for it taking a little while, and if you simply can't, please feel free to call and we can walk you through your options over the phone.