PDA

View Full Version : Trying to decide on new ski

Kidder
04-26-2009, 07:36 PM
Well, after 15 years, I'm going to upgrade my slalom ski. I am going considering either the Connelly HP or Connelly FX. Now, I'm not sure about the FX. It appears it's only made for Overton's. It seems like it's comparable to the HP but I really can't tell. I've sent a few emails to Connelly but they haven't responded.

I'm basically looking for an intermediate ski (I'm just getting back into it) that I can grow with.

Can anyone recommend sites for research? I've looked at waterskimag.com but I can't find anything else.

Reese350
04-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Not sure about where to do research but check out the F1-X at Wiley's (http://www.wileyski.com/catalogs/catalog.asp?prodid=5105944&showprevnext=1) for $420 with double Wiley wraps. I bought it last year and love it. I would say I'm an intermediate recreational skier.

germa001
04-26-2009, 10:36 PM
I have the HP and love it. I have been getting back into skiing again like you and was using my friends HO mach 1. This past Christmas I got the HP and have been using it for the past 3 weekends. I love it. I'm not completely done messing around with the binding placement or the fin but it still rides great right out of the box. Also, I got the fastback binding with the hinge on it and I would recommend looking into a binding with it. it makes getting into and out of way easy. Hope this helps.

BensonWdby
04-26-2009, 11:59 PM
I have skied Connelly for decads. Most recently a Concept. And friends who have skied mine went out and bought new Concepts shortly there after. Having said that, I just purchased a Radar Annex - price was just too good to pass up.

If you have a local ski shop, try asking for the buy-ski-switch program, wher you buy a ski from them and then if yo are not happy they let you take out a different one till you find one you like. This used to be somewhat common - not sure it that is still true?.

My experience is that the best ski for you is the last one you had a great run with....

maxpower220
04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
My wife's ski is the FX. It is a great shaped ski. I don't ski on it very much and it feels different than a traditional ski when turning. It turns really easy, but it "drops in" all of the sudden IMO. The overall size makes it really easy to get up on and you can ski at slower speeds.
For open water, it would be hard to beat the FX. If you want to run the course, look at the F1X or the HO NOS (Nitro).

Kidder
04-27-2009, 02:05 PM
My wife's ski is the FX. It is a great shaped ski. I don't ski on it very much and it feels different than a traditional ski when turning. It turns really easy, but it "drops in" all of the sudden IMO. The overall size makes it really easy to get up on and you can ski at slower speeds.
For open water, it would be hard to beat the FX. If you want to run the course, look at the F1X or the HO NOS (Nitro).

Thanks. Yep, I only ski open water for now.

Laz
04-27-2009, 08:17 PM
Hi. We have an F1X, Concept and HP.

The F1X is good for the course at 34mph. The concept is good for just learning the course and free skiing and the HP is a very stable free skiing ski. All are good.

Enjoy.

Mikey
04-28-2009, 09:20 PM
I've skied all the same skis Laz has but i ended up with an HO Triumph and truely love it.I'm waiting to try my new Ho Monza that i got for xmas but thats another story. My suggestion is try as many as possible if you have that option.

Kidder
04-30-2009, 10:27 PM
Well, I decided to try the Connelly FX with Nova front binding and RTP. It's a hybrid shaped ski (in between traditional and shaped) that I hope will help get me in shape. I bought it from Overton's so I have 30 days to try it out and if I don't like it, I can trade it for another Connelly of my choice. If I do end up trading, I'll probably go with the HP.

I'll post up an initial impression after I ski it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and replies.

deerfield
05-01-2009, 12:02 AM
Kidder - My ski collection. The slalom is a Connelly F1X w/ double boot. Works for me. - Deerfield

Kidder
05-01-2009, 12:18 PM
Kidder - My ski collection. The slalom is a Connelly F1X w/ double boot. Works for me. - Deerfield

The F1X is Connelly's highest performance shaped ski. How do you like it? The FX is an intermediate shaped ski so I'd like to know how you like it. I was torn between the HP and FX since I've only skied on a traditional ski. I'm going to try this out for a couple of days and if I like it, I'll keep it. If not, I'll trade it on the HP.

I've never skied on a double boot. I wanted to get back into it before I considered it. I can always just buy the rear boot. However, I do have one concern. I have size 14 feet (why use skis, right?) and I'm concerned that my rear foot will hit the rear of the front boot. With the RTP, I have a little more room to move.

deerfield
05-01-2009, 04:13 PM
The F1X is Connelly's highest performance shaped ski. How do you like it?

Kidder - I like it. This will be my third year with the F1X. As others have suggested, get a few more opinions and demo some skis. I skied more often when I was younger. Had a tow boat and skiing buddies. Even went to ski school. Eventually found the courage to try a couple of local tournaments. That all ended like twenty-eight years ago. I'm still the same height and weight, but no longer looking to compete or test the limits of my skill. Just love the water and taking rides behind my Outback. My comfort zone is probably 22' off at 34 MPH. I bought the F1X based on dealer recommendation. I did not compare it to anything else and up until two years ago had been out of the sport for so long, I can't offer much more by way of opinion. I've always liked the double boot. My size twelve feet have not been an issue with respect to binding placement. There are some pretty good skiers here on the bulletin board who can probably provide some insight. - Deerfield

Kidder
05-01-2009, 05:10 PM
Deerfield,

Thanks for the reply. I am an intermediate skier and I haven't been on a ski in about 12 years. My previous ski is a Kidder MX Pro which was probably a beginner/intermediate ski that I bought new back in 1990. So, I look forward to see how far technology has come. Of course, I'm not comparing apples to apples since this ski is shaped. That was why I waffled between the FX and HP since the HP was more what I was used to. I'm also interested to see how the binding feels in comparison to my old tour wrap. I'm excited. Unfortunately, it's going to be raining here all weekend. :mad:

maxpower220
05-01-2009, 08:57 PM
Deerfield,
I'm excited. Unfortunately, it's going to be raining here all weekend. :mad:

Your going to get wet skiing anyway, so that shouldn't matter.

Kidder
05-01-2009, 09:27 PM
Your going to get wet skiing anyway, so that shouldn't matter.

I have an aversion to lightning.

Sled491
05-04-2009, 07:15 PM
I have an aversion to lightning.

Is it lightning or Natures flash for your new Nikon :)

The Double high wrap will move you along the learning curve faster. I've been on the doubles for almost 20 years and find myself lost in a RTP. But to each his own. Try the Triumph, but as Deerfield said try to run some demos. Oh yeah on last thing, set up, set up, set up. Not many skiis I've been in love with out of the box, but with a little set up... most skiis can be light and day.

Waynes345
05-05-2009, 07:19 PM
I've been watching this thread for a while as I will be picking up a new ski this year as well. When younger and lighter, I skied an HP Comp and ran the course, though just for fun. Lost my tow and only skied occasionally until I was able to get my Outback. The last three years, I've skied a fair amount and have gotten way beyond the Mid-S that came with the boat. My old ski is too short for my current condition and I have really gotten used to the ease of getting up on the wide ski. I don't have a way to demo so I am going on gut. Leaning towards the HO Triumph. I'm 6'2" and 240 so I'll need a big one. I've always skied with a rear toe plate getting up dragging my back foot and have never tried getting up with my back foot in. I've always assumed it was harder but really don't have any idea. I'll have to try it with my back foot in next weekend. Maybe I could go to double wraps. I just don't want to kill myself getting up and not have anything left for swerving.

Mikey
05-05-2009, 09:39 PM
I ski a Triumph and love it .I'm 6'5'' 210 so ya ya might have to go a little bigger than the 68'' i ski but you should enjoy it immensely. I ski double boots and as long as i have a boat that has some oomph its the only way to go especially once your up and away you go.But like mentioned above too each his own.
Getting out two feet in takes a little skill but once ya figure it out , its just a simple balance timing thing and as long as you have a boat capable of getting you out . Seeing as your using a ski boat should be no problem ,we had an older underpowered outboard ski boat that was nice to ski but would have been impossible to get out behind so i had to drag for a long way using a toe plate but now i'm back to two feet in and wouldn't go back.

Theres lots of instructional videos etc to help you to learn so go out and enjoy.

AustinSkier
05-30-2009, 06:34 PM
connelly skis come with really good boots. i just bought a concept with double fastback boots and i love it. i tried the fx-1 and it was way too much of a ski. look into the HO monza's. my ski buddy skis on one and we're both intermediates.

Mikey
05-30-2009, 11:16 PM
F1 X and a Ho Monza are are in two different leagues. F1 X is much more user friendly than the Monza. Beware.

maxpower220
05-31-2009, 08:34 AM
I finally rode my new Monza this week, it is a much faster ski than my HO Nitro.The Nitro is supposed to be the same shape, just a little bigger. Right now, I am getting back into the season so I will stay on the Nitro (since I love the way it skis) until my skill level comes up.

Waynes345
05-31-2009, 10:11 PM
I picked up a new Triumph a few weeks back and have been itching to give it a try. Took the family and boat to my folks in IN Memorial Day weekend and planned on a couple runs there. As my Dad is getting up there in age, my brother-in-law and I were doing some maint in the crawl at his lake-house before getting the toys in the water. Had the crawl trap door propped open with some chairs blocking the entrance so no one fell in. My wife had been on a bike ride and thought the kids had been messing around and pushed the chairs back which happened to be into the hole. She followed them in. To make a long story shorter, she took a ride with the EMT's to the hospital. Four busted ribs with a couple of busted in more than one place. She's lucky she didn't break something else. Spent all day in the ER and had a long uncomfortable ride home. A bad week got worse when she said the pain was moving into her chest Friday morning. We spent another day in the ER. They saw some blood in her chest cavity but didn't think it warranted sticking her to take it out. Doubled up her pain meds and she finally got some sleep that night. Seems to have gotten over the hump this weekend and while still in significant pain, can at least function somewhat. It's killing her more than me that we couldn't go the the lake on a beautiful weekend. We hope she is feeling up to a ride next weekend so she can at least sit in the sun and get some air. Hopefully she is back to normal by the 4th and I'll get that ski in the water. We're just thankful she is getting better.

mmandley
06-01-2009, 09:29 AM
Wow sorry to hear about the Wayne. I cant imagine the pain shes in. I have fallen and bruised some ribs but never broke them.

Really sorry to hear about that misfortune but glad shes doing better and glad to hear the kids wernt hurt in all that stuff.

Hang in there and it will be ok. Theres lots of sunny days ahead for the lakes.

kaneboats
06-01-2009, 09:33 AM
Very sorry to hear it, Wayne. Hope all's better soon and you get some runs in.

Sled491
06-01-2009, 06:22 PM
OH, MAN THAT SUCKS! I hope she is feeling better, or at least well enough to lay around the boat. Too bad, you got yourself a very nice ski. I have had some decent runs on a Triumph a few years ago while working in Florida for half a year.