PDA

View Full Version : Yesterday: What a day!

ian ashton
04-25-2009, 09:07 AM
I'd like to preface this by saying I'm in the process of making a transition at work and have quite a bit of stress surrounding me. I'm a home loan officer, so end of the month is always busy, and yesterday was the 'last day of the month' for refinances to close and still fund in April. I had 5 closings yesterday, all concluding by around 3pm. By 3:30 I was in my car and heading to the lake. I called my dad to comment on how great of a day it was, both weather and stress level: all the closings went smooth, I had no issues with really anything, and it was 87 degress and not a cloud in the sky!

I got home, changed, and went to the boat. Shorthly there after my dad met me at the marina, and I suited up and was ready for my first Michigan ride of the season. Let me tell you - the 52 degree water in April feels ALOT colder than the 55 degree water in November! So I had a great ride, and when I was done dad circled around to pick me up. There was a bit of wind so while I was working to get out of the freezing cold water we had drifted near shore and someones dock. I hopped on the boat, grabbed my board and dad started the engine to bump us forward.

One problem...

...Where is the rope?

Crap.

So, in haste to hurry out of the water we ended up spending about an additional hour screwing around trying to get it free. I finally was able to free most of it and get the prop to spin freely; the prop had cut the rope on one end, and I cut as close as possible on the other. I didn't have goggles, and couldn't stay under water for really any time at all because it was so cold, so we made the decision to limp back to the marina and pull the boat to check out the damage. On our idle speed ride back I measured off my rope - I was riding at 65' and only had about 45' in the boat - crazy.

We cut the remains of the rope (and some fishing line, weird) away and dropped her back in. NO SHAKES! Smooth as new, thank goodness!

We put over 100 hours on the boat last season, I'd say easily 60 of them were with someone behind the boat doing some sort of watersport and we've never come close to a rope. Just goes to show it happens to everyone.

A pic of me enjoying the brisk waters of Cass Lake;
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2441&stc=1&d=1240664732

The rope/prop combo:
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2442&stc=1&d=1240664738

deerfield
04-25-2009, 10:48 AM
Ian - Too bad about the rope thing. Like you say, it happens to everyone. Glad you had a day on the water. Do you keep the trailer at the marina? Did your season using the slip already start? - Deerfield

ian ashton
04-25-2009, 03:09 PM
Yea, this year our marina let's us keep the trailer there, so it was an easy pull.

We dropped it in at the marina last week.

I scored a new line (same exact one I had before) for $60 today :)

Limishowman3
04-25-2009, 11:28 PM
Well easter weekend the water was perfect. I was the only one on the lake b/c of overcast and drizzle and 60 degree weather. Water was warmer than the air. We had a great set and everything went smoothly. Right when I left about ten boats were on the lake so perfect timing. I go out two days later and I look around the boat and guess what no rope. It was not stolen b/c I keep it in a shed that is locked. I asked everyone who rode the two days before and none of them remember putting the rope up. I have a feeling it flew out of the boat either when I was heading to the dock or on the highway. Just bought the rope this yr for 130 bucks. Just a matter of time before something happens to the rope.

Mid Tenn LSV
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Last season I took several students out from our church. When it was finally time to head it I took off with the stereo cranked and...left the anchor down. My anchor rope made contact with the prop but never wrapped. I was soooo lucky. Not easy to remember to check off all the checks on the list. Good for you for getting out already!!! Changed my oil today and will detail the boat tomorrow. Then I will be ready for a long season, been waiting for this day for months!

tprkolbas
04-26-2009, 11:06 AM
we got our first wakeboarding run in on saturday on pontiac lake. myself and a friend played it safe with a drysuit, but 2 of the guys braved it with only shorty wetsuits. water was around 56 degrees. storms came in hard, but we managed to each get in a quick set between down-pours. it was great to be behind the boat again (even though it was my buddy's malibu, as mine won't be ready for another day or two). i wish i'd have worked out in the off season a little more, because i sure am sore today.

ian ashton
04-26-2009, 11:18 AM
I hear ya on the working out!

We didn't leave the marina yesterday. We spent the morning on Sylvan Lake at the on water boat show. Got an opportunity to drives 22' Supra and the '09 OBV. I definately could see us buying the OBV - really nice ski wake and wakeboarding wake.

kaneboats
04-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Great surf wake too on the '09 OBV as I can now attest having tried Martha's last week.

ian ashton
04-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Ian, isn't that a surprising ski wake for a V?

Several folks on this board simply won't believe that the 09 OBV can put out a nice ski wake.

Got pix by chance?

I wish I would have snapped some - I forgot my camera in the car :( With the wakeplate down at 31mph I was amazed, definately not a typical V-drive wake!

ian ashton
04-27-2009, 03:05 PM
I needed 1 new dock line (somehow we lost one from last year to this year) so at least I didn't have to go buy one!

https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=2471&stc=1&d=1240859135

jester
04-27-2009, 04:51 PM
That is great. At least you are getting good use out of the rest of the rope.

Chefwong
04-27-2009, 06:38 PM
I got to get out and ride Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. Water was 58 here in southwest Michigan wasn't to bad at all. Had some serious butter on sunday morning, gave me a chance to really break in my new board. Switched to a 08 Marius this year after riding an Absolutle since 2003.

Here's what we got sunday morning..