PDA

View Full Version : Speaker questions

csm
04-24-2009, 06:17 PM
I really need to stop reading these message boards.. Everytime I think I'm set with my boat, I find something else out here I want to replace..

Let me preface this by saying I know next to nothing about speakers or amps.

I have an 05 Mobious LSV with the 6 in-boat generic speakers, and 2 Kenwood tower speakers. I assume the in-boat speakers are just pushed by my Kenwood deck, and the tower speakers are pushed by a Kenwood KAC-6201 350W 2 channel amp.

I've read some good things about the Polk db651's as in-boat speakers. If I just swap these out for my stock speakers w/o adding any additional power, will the speakers themselves make a big difference in sound? I don't need to blast the whole lake, but I do like good, clean sounding speakers.

Also, does anyone know some better tower speakers that I could switch to that would sound better than the kenwoods, and that would work with my current amp?

deepcove
04-24-2009, 07:00 PM
I replaced the stock in boat speakers on my 04 LS. You can replace those with just about anything and get a vast improvement in the sound quality. You do not need to add additional power although I am sure you would like the results!

mustangairchair
04-24-2009, 11:01 PM
i have the poak in my boat they are nice speakers. they do sound good does not matter how loud they are

Limishowman3
04-28-2009, 08:10 PM
What do people think about these speakers http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_8766_Kicker+KM620.html
I am trying to get the best sound quality (under 100 per pair) w/o adding a amp to the speakers. These are cheaper than the polks db's. What is yall's input?

byronkoz
04-28-2009, 08:37 PM
You dont need marine speakers if you buy the kickers, polks or most other quality speakers. I have 3 sets of these in the boat and 2 sets of the same 6X9's on the tower and love them.

http://www.hifisoundconnection.com/Shop/Control/Product/fp/vpid/6670241/vpcsid/0/SFV/30046

Heres a pic of mine

csm
04-28-2009, 09:01 PM
I ended up getting the db651's for around $67/pair, including shipping from an ebay store. I'm hoping they'll be a big enough improvement that I won't need a new amp, but we'll see.

jmvotto
04-28-2009, 10:03 PM
I changed out the kenwoods for the polks because i was adding an amp so i need more power rating in the speaker 45 to 75w. But before the amp went in the sound difference was great , if i did not add the sub and tower speakers(which are polk db51) i would have been happy with just the cockpit and cabin change out.

here's a link for 69.00, if you go with kickers go with byronkoz link

polk link

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9111_Polk+Audio+db651.html?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=froogle

Limishowman3
04-29-2009, 04:14 AM
Yah, that is where I was planning on buying from, sonic electronix. They always have the best deals when it comes to speakers. Thanks for the info.

Sled491
04-29-2009, 08:10 AM
CSM, I upgraded last year to the same speakers. I have no amp and the improvement was noticable to say the least. Much cleaner sounding. I am happy with the move. I did find that you had to turn up the stereo more to get the same volume, but after a while you forget your even doing that.

Limishowman3
04-29-2009, 05:18 PM
I usually listen to music at volume level 30(when riding around 23mph) on the stock head unit/speakers and notice some distortion. So at this level with either kicker or polk you all are not noticing distortion? What level does it take for you all to hear distortion at with these speakers. That is my major concern.

Sled491
04-29-2009, 05:54 PM
I couldn't give you a volume level, but I can tell you that you can go louder, but for me the key was that the sound is crisper and cleaner at the volumes I listen at. So when I add my amp and sub and want to go up from there it will still be clean.

cj11302000
05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
I upgraded my in boat speakers to all Polk DB-651's and they sound noticeably different. I have two Samson Sports tower speakers, two Kicker 10" Subwoofers and two amps...the whole setup is sweet but the most noticeable improvement was the Polk speakers over the factory speakers...now I just need to get two more tower speakers and I'll be done!

csm
05-05-2009, 10:01 PM
Yep - you guys are right. I installed the DB651's this weekend, and they are a HUGE improvement, even with no additional power. Listening to the stereo in the boat while cruising, or surfing is great now. No distortion no matter how loud we listened to them. Now if I can just get some good tower speakers, since those are now my weak link.

mcdye
05-06-2009, 08:09 AM
I also just added the Polks. Sound crisper even with stock radio.

I am considering swaping out the stock radio Kenwood kdc-316, due to the cutting out at louder volumes and I am not sure if the rear channel is working correctly. I was double checking the pos/neg leads and noticed a considerable voltage difference between the Lt/Rt rear speakers. But sound wise appears the same between L/R.

tazz3069
05-06-2009, 09:30 AM
I pulled out all my old speakers last year and replaced them with Polk DB651. I really like them check out my speaker install on my page.