PDA

View Full Version : BoatBuckle System

jester
04-24-2009, 06:05 PM
Has anyone tryed the Boat Buckle Retractable Tie down System? Good bad other? I am just tired of having someone put my back tie downs in the rig and for some reason they always end up under all the gear. If anyone has them installed Pic's would be great.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?r=view&merchID=1006&i=32050&pdesc=BoatBuckle_Retractable_Transom_Tie_Down_Syst em

RobertJ
04-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Jester, I recently purchased some but have not installed them. I got tired of the same thing. I got mine about 3 months ago at Joe's I got them for 40% off. You might go check to see if your local Joe's has some.

I am going to install them on my new boat as soon as I get a chance to get the boat off the trailer so I can move the bunks forward. My bunks stick out about five inches past the end of my boat so they get in the way of the straps. I called Boatmate Trailers and the guy told me the trailer was not set up right when it left the factory. The bunks should be even with the end of the boat.

jester
04-24-2009, 06:23 PM
Robert,

That is where i noticed them was at Joes about a month ago. Just been slacking on making the post to ask people if they have them and what they thought.

jasonwm
04-24-2009, 07:24 PM
I installed them on my trailer a few years ago and they were a great addition. You can read the how-to article I wrote back then here (http://www.wakesiderides.com/viewArticle.php?id=156). The thumbnails don't show up, but if you click no the image the full size version will load in a new window.

Retractable tie-downs are an option from BoatMate and Extreme now, so adding them to your trailer is a great way to improve the convenience factor, and update your boat to what is coming on the new trailers.

RobertJ
04-24-2009, 07:38 PM
Jason, nice post. I am impressed, these days you don't see many guys that can handle a Skil 6225 with a manual chuck. Most guys go straight for the cordless.

I am lucky my boat has the tabs for the buckles already installed and drilled. All I have to do is put them on.

Razzman
04-24-2009, 07:42 PM
I bought the Rod Saver (http://www.rodsaver.com/04_transom2/R2TTD3.html)brand at Walmart for a lot less than the Boat Buckles and they work just as well, in fact this is the second trailer i've put them on and everyone i know has bought them know there.

yearround
04-24-2009, 09:30 PM
i bought the brand from bass world, don't know what they are off hand, but they are great. the trailer had attachment point fabricated in place so the install was easy. i actually had my dealer do it while they were preping the boat for my purchase.

KT Mobius
04-25-2009, 01:34 AM
They are worth every penny. Go get them.

jester
04-25-2009, 11:37 AM
Ok since everyone that posted seams to love them i picked up a pair. Now my question is did you guys dril a hole for the bolt or use the U piece on the trailer with a hole allready made? I have attached a Pic.

Razzman
04-25-2009, 12:08 PM
Just use the piece there. Remember these don't have to be cranked down on the transom, nor should they be. They're only there to keep the boat from bouncing so ratchet them until snug then one more and stop.

jester
04-25-2009, 02:55 PM
The back straps have saved me before. Someone forgot to make sure the front wintch was secure and well lets just say if it was not for the back straps i would have lost the boat on the Hwy. Good thing learned is no one is allowed to touch the crank but me after the boat is on the trailer.

jasonwm
04-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Jason, nice post. I am impressed, these days you don't see many guys that can handle a Skil 6225 with a manual chuck. Most guys go straight for the cordless.

I am lucky my boat has the tabs for the buckles already installed and drilled. All I have to do is put them on.
Thanks Robert, it's not great for precision, but I've had that drill for 10 years and it still works great.

Ok since everyone that posted seams to love them i picked up a pair. Now my question is did you guys dril a hole for the bolt or use the U piece on the trailer with a hole allready made? I have attached a Pic.
Definitely use the existing holes, my trailer didn't have them so I had to drill new holes, but if your trailer had come from BoatMate with them installed they would be mounted to the U shaped piece.

mcdye
04-28-2009, 07:59 AM
My trailer does not have the U shaped bracket welded to the frame, just loops inside the frame on the sides.

My boat sits more off the back of the trailer and attaching the buckle directly to the frame(w/o the optional Ubrackets), the strap will come back more then up. Hope this makes sense.

For those that have a similar setup and have had to drill some holes did you use the optional brackets for the straps? Pics?