PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp Gauge (lake/river/bayou/swamp)

RobertJ
04-24-2009, 12:50 AM
What is the best way to get a water temp gauge that will display on the dash? I don't think I want to mount a permanent fish finder. I know I could just jump in the water and determine the temp. by the pitch of my scream but an old man has to be careful of his heart. I could throw my boys in the water but they always scream in a high pitch.

I would like to find a unit that could replace the factory depth finder with a unit that displays depth and temp.

kaneboats
04-24-2009, 10:02 AM
Most of the time I don't want to know the water temp. Cuz if I'm out there I'm going in anyway.

sandm
04-24-2009, 11:30 AM
I have an '06 perfect pass and it doesn't offer temp that I can find. wish it did.
I would love an all-in-one depth/air/water temp gauge as well.
bet the issue will be finding one that matches the beede gauges already installed.

mcdye
04-24-2009, 11:35 AM
I have an '06 perfect pass and it doesn't offer temp that I can find. wish it did.

I have PP on a '02 and it is a key combination for water temp info...i want to recall pressing the Menu and Up Arrow keys at the same time...from PP website and this is it..Press Menu & Up Key together. Press menu again for battery voltage and hour meter.

jester
04-24-2009, 11:45 AM
I have to agree with the PP. I have an 08 and i have a temp when the PP system is turned off. When you turn on the PP system the water temp gets replaced with the set point.

Wake Master
04-24-2009, 03:15 PM
I have an 07 XLV and the PP shows the temp. You have to go to the menu then info. The informantion is in the PP manual. Kind of hard to find if you don't know it's there.

sandm
04-24-2009, 04:58 PM
I know why I love this forum.... :)
just went out and checked, and sure enough, the "water" temp in the garage is 56.5deg..

thanks guys.
this made my day..

jester
04-24-2009, 05:32 PM
sandm, I thougth you liked this fourm becasue a simple question is asked and we give a solution for someone to go out and spend $1,000. I guess that is only like 2 boat bucks so not too bad at all.

RobertJ
04-24-2009, 05:47 PM
Okay so here is the million dollar question. How does PP get the water temperature? Does the paddle wheel have a temperature pick-up on it? If it does I should be able to get that information to display on something else besides a PP display. If the paddle wheel is the source of the signal then I wounder if the new GPS based systems get water temp as well.

RobertJ
04-24-2009, 06:00 PM
Okay after my last post it really got me thinking. I am pretty sure the paddle wheel module has to be the source for PP to pick up the water temp. This would mean that the paddle wheel has an RTD or Thremo-couple built into it. If this is the case I can just find where the signal is going to and hook up a display. Since PP most likely picks up the signal in the dash wiring harness I am going to look for it there. I am sure I can come up with a nice display that will look good and not require me to explain to the wife why I need PP this year. But I will need it next year.

I know there are a lot of sharp electronics guys on the board can you help steer me in the right direction. I can get displays from www.omega.com.

jester
04-24-2009, 06:20 PM
Robert,

Don’t you know if is better to ask for forgiveness then permission. But I guess that could be a reason I am still not marred.

Also i dont know if the PP system uses the same Paddle wheel or if it has its own.

csmsk
04-24-2009, 07:43 PM
This is what I'm looking at getting this season. It replaces our depth gauge and gives depth, air temp and water temp.

http://www.boatersland.com/images/cache/844ca12337f74505fdd35cce4e8348b5.jpg

http://www.boatersland.com/far-13852.html

mustangairchair
04-24-2009, 07:51 PM
this is the gauge i put in my boat it does water / air temp and depth . itis a nice eazy to use gauge with keel ofset for low depth to . here is the web sit you can get a in hull depth teansducer to.

mustangairchair
04-24-2009, 08:07 PM
this is the gauge i put in my boat it is eazy to work it has water and air temp/ depth with keel setting for the low depth alarm.you can get the one with through hull depth sensor to. if it will let me load the web sit this time i hope. www. boatersland.com. it will not let load the link said invalid file

yearround
04-24-2009, 09:36 PM
i had the faria in my old boat, it worked great. we now look at the water temp on PP, would be nice to see constant on, but i am glad to have the PP. good luck on the omega stuff. a long time a go in school i used to do a little work with that stuff, but would not venture to try it now, maybe just too lazy.

RobertJ
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Okay, I confimed the stock paddle wheel in my boat does have the temp sensor built into it. Curently the temp. sensor portion is not wired into anything. (It is waiting for PP)

The paddle wheel in my '07 LSV and most likely most S.C. boats is an Airmar ST 300 and it has 5 wires coming of the head. The sensor wires for temperature are white and brown. The sensor is a standard 10K thermistor. All I have to do know is find an in-expensive but nice looking display for a good price and I am gold.

If anyone else is thinking they might look into this, the wires you are looking for are up under the dash by the speedo's. If you don't have PP you will find a 6 pin connector that is just hanging there waiting for PP, or some cheap guy like me to find a temp display.

S.C. helped me identify the location of the empty six pin connector and Airmar confirmed that the paddle wheel in my boat is both speed and temp.

As with any modification be careful and don't take my advice and look into it yourself so you don't cause a problem on your boat. If I find a display I will post it on the site.

mustangairchair
04-27-2009, 08:31 PM
faria depth water/air temp gauge. i have one in my boat, nice and eazy to work, it also gives keel depth setting for low water alarm. here is the gauge its at www.boatersland.com

maxpower220
04-27-2009, 08:34 PM
This is what I'm looking at getting this season. It replaces our depth gauge and gives depth, air temp and water temp.

http://www.boatersland.com/images/cache/844ca12337f74505fdd35cce4e8348b5.jpg

http://www.boatersland.com/far-13852.html

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=74431&pdesc=Faria_Digital_Depth_Sounder_with_Air_Water_T emperatures&str=faria&merchID=1008&r=view
Overtons also has it; they run specials and maybe you can get it cheaper.

I have the all white Teleflex, but I will probably trade it out for the Faria because it matches the guages that I have alreadu

mmandley
05-03-2009, 12:46 AM
I was just reading over all this and let me ask..or clarify.. I have the 08 with the Standard cruise control not the PP upgrade system. So there should be a 6 pin connector under my dash and that has the wires for the temp gauge in it? I have been looking at getting a water temp gauge, i just don't want to drill a whole in my boat.

Sounds like the impeller that registers the boats water speed is the one your talking about and that is the one with a built in temp sensor? I jsut need to figure out the harness and tap the temp prob portion to a new guage? Am i also correct to think that since i already ahve a Depth gauge from the factory i can replace that with a new gauge such as the one in the post above to dispay depth and water temps?