PDA

View Full Version : New Annex on the way - binding advice?

BensonWdby
04-23-2009, 10:53 PM
After more than 21 years on Connelly I have taken advantage of a great price opportunity and purchased a new 2008 Radar Annex. I will still be looking for bindings that match the hole pattern.

Prefer bindings that are not right/left sensitive with RTP, that might release in high stress crash. Any advice on bindings appreciated.

TIA
Dave

Matt Glenn
04-24-2009, 07:04 AM
I got a annex last year and skied on it for a year. This ski kicks ass. This is the only ski that I did not have to get use to. I use my old HO animal bindings. That is I don't use the RADAR binding plate. You will love this ski

maxpower220
04-24-2009, 09:31 AM
I have Connelly Draft bindings on my HO ski. After I bought them for my wife's ski, I love the way they feel, the ease of enter/exit. I ordered them throught Performance Ski for the HO bolt pattern.

BensonWdby
04-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Have you ever released out of the Drafts? I fall often and am thinking I would like to release...

Sled491
04-25-2009, 10:06 PM
I like the Radar bindings, very comfy. But I use the obrien Contact High Wraps and come out when I need to and find them to have great lateral support.

maxpower220
04-26-2009, 11:33 AM
Have you ever released out of the Drafts? I fall often and am thinking I would like to release...

Yes, most of my falls are slides and I haven't "gone over the front" in a while. There are laces in the front which allow you to determine how tight the base and the ankle are. The hinge just allows for easy entry/exit. I sold my approach bindings, the Drafts are the nicest binding that I have ridden (that is not saying much).

BensonWdby
04-26-2009, 07:45 PM
Sled - are you using the Contacts on a Radar? did you have to mod the ski or the plate to get it to fit?

Sled491
04-26-2009, 08:39 PM
No, but I believe you can do it. It is my understanding that there is only two hole patterns out there. As Radar is a distant cousin of Obrien I would assume they stayed with the same pattern. But really how difficult could it be to modify the plate on you bindings? I would think it could be done with a simple drill and maybe a dremel.

BensonWdby
04-27-2009, 12:02 AM
I have often thought that modifying a plate would be a logical option. Never tried it ... I wonder how much of the ski's perfromance is dependent on the change in flex that you might get from different plates? Like a single plate for dual boots vs. individually mounted boots, or a separately mounted RTP?

Never really thought much about it before.

Sled491
04-27-2009, 09:08 PM
Well if we look to Downhill skiing you may have a point. Years ago when I was still competing at a high level Tichy plates came out. One thing they did was elevate the boot to create more angulation, but the other affect and as it relates to our discussion is that it changed the flex pattern of the ski as the mounting points were outside the typical binding thus in theory giving a better arc.

Don't qoute me on this but while in Orlando and at PWS shop who have no shortage of high end skiis on the rack I thought I saw just such an idea. A plate on top of the ski under the binding area. They you could mount any binding system you want without any negative effect on performance

BensonWdby
05-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Well the Obrien Contact on I bought for the Concept, fits on the Annex. but the Connelly RTP does not. So am going to get a new HO Venom setup from Doug at The Liquid Edge . Was hoping for this weekend - but probably not...

Sled491
05-06-2009, 07:07 AM
I figured the Contact would fit. Did they say the Venom would fit?

BensonWdby
05-06-2009, 08:22 AM
Doug Seemed to think so. If not I am sure he will work with me...

Mikey
05-06-2009, 06:29 PM
The venoms are nice and comfy. I have them on my Triumph and i have blown out of them . depends on how tight ya tighten the strings. I have new animals i'm waiting to try out on my new Monza. Still waiting.SIGH!!!!

Sled491
05-06-2009, 08:19 PM
Let us know how it works out, both of you.

Dave, did you ever consider the Radar bindings? they are sooooo comfy!

BensonWdby
05-06-2009, 08:24 PM
Just a little to much $$ About an extra $100. I don't really notice the Contacts after the first rew runs. We'll see I guess.

Sled491
05-06-2009, 08:34 PM
There's a place in Phoenix that has 3 stores and has just boxes of the Radar bindings and had them discounted. Might be worth looking into?

BensonWdby
05-13-2009, 11:59 PM
Just got the Venoms - they look good - We'll get them mounted and see how the new Annex rides this weekend - if the weather holds...

Sled491
05-14-2009, 08:50 AM
Cool keep us posted. Heading to Thunder Bay this weekend for opening of Walleye season so no skiing for me this weekend.