PDA

View Full Version : ventalation leuvers

tdayco
04-23-2009, 09:27 PM
I just replaced the floor on my 1994 boomerang and I all went back together great except for one thing. I am having trouble remembering where the tubes that attach to the front louvers go. One other thing, I can't remember where the rear blower hoses run. Can anyone email me a picture of these? thanks, tom

kaneboats
04-24-2009, 10:07 AM
Might be wrong but don't the front ones just send air to the front of the engine compartment? And the rear ones just go from the middle or back of the engine compartment up to the blower? Post some pics of your Boomerang with the new floor when you get a chance; we'd love to see 'em.

tdayco
04-24-2009, 01:47 PM
I will work on putting up some pics of the painstacking process. I started the project and found out really quickly that I was in over my head. So, I took it to jerrys marina in tawas michigan and they finished it for me.(best move I made in this project). They did what I would call beyond a factory repair. It shows in the pics to come. It took them 16 hours of chipping and grinding after the main floor was removed.(foam was completly saturated.) The sad part about this boat is that it only had 82 hours on it.(never used and cover had a hole in it was left to the elements for 3 years. One thing I forgot to ask about is the windshield. I has the "boomerang crack in it". I found a place to make a new one but, they don't have a plastic sheet long enough to make one full lenght. Does anyone know where I can find a new/used windshield for this? Or, is there an updated version of the windshield?

OldeBoy
04-24-2009, 05:54 PM
I will work on putting up some pics of the painstacking process. I started the project and found out really quickly that I was in over my head. So, I took it to jerrys marina in tawas michigan and they finished it for me.(best move I made in this project). They did what I would call beyond a factory repair. It shows in the pics to come. It took them 16 hours of chipping and grinding after the main floor was removed.(foam was completly saturated.) The sad part about this boat is that it only had 82 hours on it.(never used and cover had a hole in it was left to the elements for 3 years. One thing I forgot to ask about is the windshield. I has the "boomerang crack in it". I found a place to make a new one but, they don't have a plastic sheet long enough to make one full lenght. Does anyone know where I can find a new/used windshield for this? Or, is there an updated version of the windshield?

I have a 2000 Boomerang. What is the windshield crack you speak of? I have cracks starting from the bolt holes moving upward. My windshield is a 2 piece unit.

How do you tell if your foam is saturated? (without destroying the floor)

Glad to hear it is getting put back together.

tdayco
04-24-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, the floor had two small spots that were soft. I originally thought that I could just pull the carpet back and put some aluminum over them. I quickly figured out that I had a major problem the soft spots had alot of moisture. I decided to push a screw driver threw the wood and water spewed out. So, basically if you have a soft spot, you have wet foam. There is no way to get it out without removing it. My windshield broke at both ends from having snow on the cover. I had heard this is a common problem.

OldeBoy
04-25-2009, 06:10 AM
Well, the floor had two small spots that were soft. I originally thought that I could just pull the carpet back and put some aluminum over them. I quickly figured out that I had a major problem the soft spots had alot of moisture. I decided to push a screw driver threw the wood and water spewed out. So, basically if you have a soft spot, you have wet foam. There is no way to get it out without removing it. My windshield broke at both ends from having snow on the cover. I had heard this is a common problem.

Thanks for the info. So far my floor feels pretty solid.
As for the windshield, The drivers side end (tip) has a triangle about 2 inches that has been glued back on by the P.O. Perhaps they had an issue with the cover at some point.
Is yours a 1 piece of two piece windshield? Do you have any cracking around the bottom screw holes? Mine has cracks that are propagating from the holes but aren't a visibility issue at this point. Who did you find to make a new one? About how much did they want.

As for your original post all I can tell you about the vent lines is that they run from the front louvers into the floor and they run vertically along the divider in the storage compartment.

tdayco
04-25-2009, 08:43 AM
My windshield is a one piece. It didn't seem to have and cracks at the screws, just the ends. Are the rubber bushings getting dry rotted? If yes,they may be putting to much pressusre on one point of the hole. How about the foam strip between the shield and fiberglass, it might be dry rotting also.Hatch and see if your budddies are using it for a hand rail. (could be most of your problem) Does your windshield wrap around the same as a 1994? The 94 windshield is over 9' long. Hense the problem with making a new one.(sheets are only 8' long)

jasonba1
04-25-2009, 12:12 PM
If your needing a windshield try Jim Jackson at viper customs he carry several older parts for supras and moombas and is very reasoably priced. His number is 865-388-4096. He is one of the most knowledgeable guys I have dealt with he is a ex supra employee, builds boats, restores and customizes boats and is actually in the old skiers choice plant.

tdayco
04-25-2009, 06:32 PM
Hey thanks, I'll give him a call monday.

tdayco
05-07-2009, 10:54 PM
I got my new windshield today for my 94 boomerang. Sorac plastics made it for me. It turned out sweet. They originally thought that they would have to make a shorter one because it would not fit on a 4'x8' sheet. Ends up that they only had to modify the ends just slightly. I could barely notice it. $125, I thought that was really cheap since he had to use a broken windshield with missing parts for a templet. If any one needs any thing made out of flat acrylic, these guys can make it. The shop is located in grand blanc michigan on dort highway. I'm still tring to get pics up of the complete rehab. Also I'm still tring to figure out the blower hose locations for the front louvers.:)

OldeBoy
05-09-2009, 07:50 AM
I got my new windshield today for my 94 boomerang. Sorac plastics made it for me. It turned out sweet. They originally thought that they would have to make a shorter one because it would not fit on a 4'x8' sheet. Ends up that they only had to modify the ends just slightly. I could barely notice it. $125, I thought that was really cheap since he had to use a broken windshield with missing parts for a templet. If any one needs any thing made out of flat acrylic, these guys can make it. The shop is located in grand blanc michigan on dort highway. I'm still tring to get pics up of the complete rehab. Also I'm still tring to figure out the blower hose locations for the front louvers.:)

Glad to hear your windshield project turned out so well. It sounds like you got quite a deal. Could you post some pictures?
Also regarding your question on the louvers. I am not sure what you are asking. Are you asking about where they run under the floor? or along the vertical divider between the driver footwell and the storage compartment in front of the passenger seat? If it is in that storage area and not under the floor I could try to get some pics this weekend.

tdayco
05-09-2009, 02:11 PM
If I remember correctly,(bad memory) the louver hoses went though the floor somewhere. Each louver has two 3" hoses that have a attachment ring with four screws on the loose end. So, they attach to a flat surface that has a 3" hole.(somewhere) If I stretch out the hoses to there maximun lenght they still won't reach the service cavity under the floor.(cables and wires from dash to motor) IMO that is where they would vent the engine compartment the best. Also rain water that gets into the louvers has to drain into the bilge area also. If I were to drill the 3" holes under the louvers(floor) they would'nt do anything but expose the sealed/air tight dry portion of the bilge to water. There is a possibility that one or more of these hoses go through the divider between the "ski storage area" and the cock pit area.( I also had to replace that to access floor underneath so if there where holes there, they no longer are.):confused:

tdayco
05-09-2009, 03:20 PM
These are some pics I took of it today. I found another thing to repair. The neighbors dog ate the speedo pickups and hoses. So I currently have the gas tank back out to access the transom.:mad: I'm still tring to get the pics of the floor replacement process.

OldeBoy
05-10-2009, 08:54 PM
My tubes run from the louvers, along the vertical divider and into the floor of the storage compartment. I honestly couldn't tell you where they go from there.

OldeBoy
05-10-2009, 08:56 PM
The windshield looks great btw.

grancuda
05-25-2009, 08:21 PM
I need to take my rear panel out that covers the gas tank out, how does the panel come out?

tdayco
05-25-2009, 08:39 PM
If you have a boomerang of a kanga its reallly easy.

1. Unsnap floor cushions.

2. Carfully remove screw covers for screws in backrest.(flat head screw driver)

3. Back out screws in back rest. (phillips)

4. Remove large head screws in the panel.(phillips)

5. Jocky it around and remove it.

Thats it.

What are you going after?

grancuda
05-25-2009, 09:07 PM
I have the drivers side getting wet on the carpet under the rear cusions and I think that it is leaking where the swim platform mounts, it is always underwater and that is all that is underwater on that side. I am planning on taking the swim platform off and cleaning the mounting holes and reinstall with plenty of sealant.

tdayco
05-25-2009, 10:04 PM
It could also be the clam shells for the speedo hoses.Water could also be slashing under the cover for the rudder. Good luck, hope you find it.

grancuda
05-25-2009, 10:20 PM
I am plannng on taking the rear panel & fuel tank out and taking it down to the boat ramp, it is only a mile from the house and I will back it down and wait to see what leaks. I will check everything and hopefully find the problem.