PDA

View Full Version : Ultimate ballast setup for Outback V

deafgoose
04-23-2009, 03:59 PM
I currently have the gravity3 ballast system (400lb X 3) and last season I used a Straight Line Launch Pad 725lb ballast bag on the seat while surfing along with the center and left rear locker ballast bags filled and my surf was massive. The only problem is the wake was too steep and short even with the wake plate down.

This year I would like to add more weight in the center and front of the boat to help make a longer wave.

I am really impressed with the new 2009 Sumo Sac ballast bags made by Straight Line (http://www.slsports.com/ballast-bags-sumo-sacs.htm). I am thinking 725lb on the seat, 450lb in the center walkway and 125lb on the left front seat along with the two built-in ballast bags filled from the gravity3 system.

400lbs left rear locker, 400lbs center locker, 725lbs left seats, 450lbs center walkway, 125lbs left front sea = 2100lbs.

Does this sound like a good plan? :D

I upgraded my prop to the Acme 14x14.25 last season and it made a HUGE difference in holeshot will ballasts filled.

jasonwm
04-23-2009, 09:41 PM
The Sumo Sacs are a nice product, but since you already have the G3 system in your boat, I would stick with Fly High products for your bags. They make the factory units, so any new bags you purchase will interface with the factory plumbing directly.

So with that in mind, I would recommend purchasing a new Pro X Series Fat Sac for your rear locker. Along with 2 W736 fittings it will connect directly to your factory plumbing and be controlled from the dash. Then you can use the factory 400lb. bag in the walkthrough, and get another Fat Sac for on the seat. With those bags you'll have plenty of flexibility for experimenting with different weighting configurations so you can dial in the wake exactly how you want it.

deafgoose
04-23-2009, 11:43 PM
That's a great option, thanks for the tip!

I was under the impression the 750lb bags did not fit very well in the Outback V rear lockers.

The 400lb bags included with the gravity3 in the Otback V are (10"x16"x70")

deafgoose
04-24-2009, 12:45 AM
Does anyone have a discount coupon code for "wakemakers.com" ?

I could buy it cheaper from other places like evogear or buywake that offer free shipping but I would rather help out a smaller business. :)

deafgoose
04-24-2009, 08:02 PM
Well I did the math and it's way more expensive to go with the Fly High balasts compared to the Sumo sacs. Nobody locally sells them and since I live in Canada the exhange rate, duty fees, brokerage fees and shipping makes it damn expensive.

Not sure why but Straight Line is really popular here in Canada.

I picked up a "Sumo V 750lb" and a "Sumo Jr V 450lb" locally. I am thinking about getting two "Sumo Seatsac 125lb" balasts for under the front seats while wakeboarding.

jasonwm
04-27-2009, 08:54 PM
The only issue with the Sumo Sacs that I've seen is that they don't integrate into new or existing ballast systems as well as Fly High's. The wide range of fittings Fly High has available make them very versatile.

Would USPS be more attractive for you on shipments from The States?