PDA

View Full Version : Am I asking for trouble on 05 Mobius LSV ?

lancesaville
04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
I've been looking at an 05 Mobius LSV. Appears to be in great overall shape, just one problem...The current owner bought it from the original owner last year and used the boat through the summer and when it came time to winterize, he (admittedly) threw half a bottle of sta-bil in the gas tank, put the cover on good and called it quits. How bad (besides obvious block cracks) can that be for such a boat ? I'm considering driving out to take a look at it and I'd DEFINITELY be taking a close look at the engine and ballast system. Just wondering if I should pass this one up or if it's save-able. It's only been in fresh water and has been in texas over the winter, which i believe isn't super-famous for reaching freezing temperatures. Any thoughts ?

Mikey
04-21-2009, 11:14 PM
Put it in water or hook up a fake a lake at the very least and start and run the motor untill warm, A watertest would definetely be preferable,give you an idea of overall condition and other possible issues. Good luck.

Kidder
04-22-2009, 08:58 AM
I've been looking at an 05 Mobius LSV. Appears to be in great overall shape, just one problem...The current owner bought it from the original owner last year and used the boat through the summer and when it came time to winterize, he (admittedly) threw half a bottle of sta-bil in the gas tank, put the cover on good and called it quits. How bad (besides obvious block cracks) can that be for such a boat ? I'm considering driving out to take a look at it and I'd DEFINITELY be taking a close look at the engine and ballast system. Just wondering if I should pass this one up or if it's save-able. It's only been in fresh water and has been in texas over the winter, which i believe isn't super-famous for reaching freezing temperatures. Any thoughts ?

Where in Texas?

Razzman
04-22-2009, 10:21 AM
Put it in the water only, a fake lake will not show the leaks if they exist, they;ll only show under load. Also it all depends where it was? Did it freeze regularly or not? A couple nights won't hurt anything i don't think.

kaneboats
04-22-2009, 10:49 AM
All it takes is one good hard freeze if there's enough water in there. But you probably have a little better than 50/50 shot of it being OK. I'd definitely water test it and see what you have. Make sure you get it good and warmed up.

04OUTBACK
04-22-2009, 10:50 AM
Find an Indmar Authorized shop near the boat (www.indmar.com) and after you test it out and feel safe with it, take it in for them to check out the engine.

Ironically, I am guessing that is the general winterization for a LOT of boats..

Service it out if you get it.. change oil, impeller, trans/v-drive fluids.

moombadaze
04-22-2009, 11:43 AM
lake test and if ok have a marine tech go over it-not a bad idea anyway and if both are ok buy it and enjoy the summer

-a marine tech saved me big time on my 1st boat, --had a bad motor $$$$

lancesaville
04-22-2009, 02:26 PM
Where in Texas?

It's in texarkana/Nash. A look at the farmer's almanac shows it did get below 32 degrees a couple times over winter in Nash. But the owner claims he put a digital thermometer w/ memory in the engine compartment and it never got below 34 degrees in the compartment. I've contacted the closest moomba dealer (Diamond Lakes Water Sports in Malvern - great people) about a possible survey and to see what they think about the lack of winterization, so hopefully Diamond Lakes will have some good advice for me, they always have before - And I also appreciate the advice from you guys as well - I'll most likely be going to see it this weekend and will post my findings. Thanks again guys !

jimmobius
04-22-2009, 10:10 PM
I have the same boat but it was well taken care of by the previus owners. Dealer maintained for everything including winterization/summerizing. If I were you , take it to the Dealer to have it checked out and lake test if possible. Check the engine oil for milky white or off white( water in the oil) . If it passes the test , do a full service and enjoy the summer. By the way how much money are they asking for the boat/trailer?
Jim .

lancesaville
04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Well I appreciate the help and good advice, but I ended up getting a great deal on an 09 LSV from my local dealer (Diamond Lakes Watersports in Malvern, AR) - After all the searching I did, the best bang for the buck ended up being on an 09 :) I'll post some snaps after delivery day.

mcdye
04-28-2009, 07:51 AM
Well I appreciate the help and good advice, but I ended up getting a great deal on an 09 LSV from my local dealer (Diamond Lakes Watersports in Malvern, AR) - After all the searching I did, the best bang for the buck ended up being on an 09 :) I'll post some snaps after delivery day.

Good deal. The dealings I have had so far with them have been great. See u on the water.

kaneboats
04-30-2009, 12:46 PM
That's great news. I'm sure you'll love it. We are anxiously awaiting your pics. Congrats!

Kidder
05-01-2009, 12:25 PM

Congratulations! I'll bet you're excited. Be sure to post up pics in the Pride and Joy section when you bring it home.

lancesaville
05-01-2009, 12:39 PM
Yeah I love it already :D - I'll be bringing it home next week after the tower speakers and stuff are done being installed and tuned - turns out Diamond Lakes Watersports is also an authorized Wetsounds dealer, so I figured, heck, why not go ahead and do it right, right from the start. Can't wait to pick it up.

Here's some pics of it, pre-stereo install - If you went to the boat show in Little Rock, AR in Feb 09, you might recognize this boat from the show... I'll be sure to post a couple more after the tower speakers are installed...

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/686/lsvimg.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/5520/sdc15130.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4596/sdc15126x.jpg

lancesaville
05-01-2009, 12:41 PM
http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/2562/sdc15119.jpg

http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/3121/sdc15117.jpg

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/8896/sdc15118o.jpg

http://img384.imageshack.us/img384/3460/engineq.jpg

kaneboats
05-01-2009, 03:13 PM
I love it! And I hate green (except in bill form).

lancesaville
05-01-2009, 03:35 PM
no joke, haha, me and my fiancee BOTH don't like green, but it WORKS on this boat :D We took a good look around and just fell in love w/ it.

moombadaze
05-01-2009, 07:23 PM
im not a green guy either, but dang that looks good.

oh and welcome to the Moomba clan

SEARK
05-04-2009, 12:51 PM
I saw that boat on a recent trip to Diamond Lakes. It's one sharp boat. I got mine from them too in 07. They are good people to work with. Enjoy your boat.

lancesaville
05-04-2009, 02:51 PM
Yep I'm yet to hear a bad word spoken about Diamond Lakes. Jon and his guys are top notch when it comes to sales, service, and support, best in AR - hands down. I dealt with a lot of people when I was after a boat, those guys know their product, use it, and believe in it. I can't imagine a better dealer to have around man.

Thx for the props on my boat, just imagine it w/ a wetsounds double up on the tower :) - Diamond Lakes is installing those this week. Can't wait to pick her up and do the breakin next weekend.

SEARK
05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
The doubleup will really add to it. I'm thinking of having them put some Pro60s on mine when I carry it back up for service in a couple of weeks or so.

lancesaville
05-04-2009, 03:42 PM
Go for it man ! I almost did the pro 80's with a pro 485 inbetween, but decided at the last minute I wanted the leftover cash and some mid-bass to complement my subwoofer. Double up sounded nice on my friend's cobalt so I went with it after getting the dealer's opinion, he's been using double up too on his XLV and was really satisfied with the results, PLENTY of mid-bass and not as 'crashy' as having two 80s and two 60s. Any way you go, you can't go wrong with wetsounds. Good luck!

lancesaville
05-05-2009, 02:23 PM
had to post this, dealer sent me a snap after he finished the stereo install. Still waiting on the transom remote, but hopefully picking her up this saturday (5-9-09) - weather permitting :)

http://img179.imageshack.us/img179/10/doubleup.jpg

lancesaville
05-05-2009, 03:25 PM
Yeah if I want to answer the phone for diamond lakes all day - I think just two or three customers that ask questions like I do would drive ANY dealer nuts :D

That's one option I DON'T want the dealer to throw in, Ed :)

LSV04
05-10-2009, 09:30 AM
Hey Buddy-3 summers ago I had my boat winterized incorrectly. Long story short-I put it in the water in May and one of the block plugs is pushed out and I have water gushing out of the block!!! I bring the boat to the marina ,he puts the plug back in and finds a hairline crack in the block. He patches the crack and its been running fine ever since.Ive put 200 hours on it. The boat now has 300 hours. I would have the 05 checked out and use it in your favor for a good price.Good luck

lancesaville
05-10-2009, 11:54 AM
Good info. But the guy with the 05 went UP on his price after I talked to him. 26k (as he originally advertised) for that 05 was not a bad deal. He said he had to talk to his bank and find out for sure what he owed on it and he came back w/ 29k which is too much for an 05 LSV in that condition. How would ANY boat owner that was financing not know what he needed to get for the boat before placing the ad?! He just raised the price due to my interest. Either way, too much unknown about the motor for me man, and the indmar warrranty was up. I ended up working with Diamond Lakes Watersports in trying to find a new 08 still on the lot somewhere (dealer transfer) and in the process I ended up getting the nearly loaded (no tower speakers) 09 LSV you see above (and on page 2) for under 41k brand new, out the door, from DLWS. Pretty good deal. Never looking back :)