PDA

View Full Version : Brake Safety Cable

Waynes345
04-20-2009, 05:18 PM
My buddy and I spent Saturday getting our boats ready and launched. While I motored across the lake to my slip, he took my vehicle and trailer back to the cabin. He went the extra mile for me backing it into my driveway and unhooking it. Unfortunately, his trailer doesn't have the brake safety cable and he didn't know to unhook it. My wife then calmy drove away, breaking the cable. Good thing it happened after launching. I've found a couple threads about resetting the actuator, but nothing about replacing that cable. Anybody run into this user error before? Thanks.

Razzman
04-20-2009, 05:26 PM
Wayne, i'm assuming you've the Boatmate Trailer with the UFP A-60 actuator? If so then go here UFP Actuators (http://www.ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx) and look at the bootom of the page and you'll see videos showing this. Call UFP at either of the below locations and they'll get a cable out to you asap.

Unique Functional Products / California
135 Sunshine Lane
San Marcos, CA 92069
Telephone: (760) 744-1610
(800) 854-1905
Fax: (760) 744-4709

OR

Unique Functional Products / Tennessee
1041 Baxter Lane
Winchester, TN 37398
Telephone: (931) 967-5101
(800) 835-9211
Fax: (931) 967-1828

maxpower220
04-20-2009, 05:42 PM
I broke the cable on my last trailer, never replaced it. That cable is there in case you have a problem with the trailer coming off of your vehicle.

Waynes345
04-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Wayne, i'm assuming you've the Boatmate Trailer with the UFP A-60 actuator? If so then go here UFP Actuators (http://www.ufpnet.com/Actuators/tabid/54/Default.aspx) and look at the bootom of the page and you'll see videos showing this. Call UFP at either of the below locations and they'll get a cable out to you asap.

Thanks for the response. I've got that info filed for future goofs. I went to the Boatmate site, filled out their contact card and got an almost immediate response so I have ordered from them. I'll post how the repair went next week after I get back out there.

Razzman
04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
I broke the cable on my last trailer, never replaced it. That cable is there in case you have a problem with the trailer coming off of your vehicle.

Yeah it's called a safety cable for that very reason, in case the trailer comes off the hitch, it applies the brakes so it doesn't careen down the road and kill somebody. :)

Razzman
04-20-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the response. I've got that info filed for future goofs. I went to the Boatmate site, filled out their contact card and got an almost immediate response so I have ordered from them. I'll post how the repair went next week after I get back out there.

NP, glad to help anytime i can. :D

maxpower220
04-20-2009, 10:49 PM
Yeah it's called a safety cable for that very reason, in case the trailer comes off the hitch, it applies the brakes so it doesn't careen down the road and kill somebody. :)

Yes, I have seen (or heard of) that happening....never. Either the vehicle and boat flip or jackknife or the brakes are not applied once the cable breaks. Good idea, but it doesn't work that well.