PDA

View Full Version : Totally Random and nothing to do with lake.. Need adavice..

Wakeboard89
04-19-2009, 10:58 PM
So I was a music major for tuba and decided not for me. So I am selling my horn for a pretty hefty price. I found a buyer who is willing to pay for shipping, but he wants to test it. He is still willing to pay for shipping, but I need some kind of insurance so my horn won't get stolen. So I was like just pay pal me the money and I will send the horn if you do not like it I will send the money back and you send the horn back. He is like why can't you trust me. I really need to sell this, and he is interested and has the money. I am not sending it until:confused: I get some insurance, but how do I go about selling this to this dude with out seeming like a jerk. Any advice from people that have sold things before would be great.:confused:

Reese350
04-20-2009, 04:14 AM
I would stick to your plan and have them pay for it upfront and return it if they don't like it. If they are really serious, they won't have a problem. Better safe than sorry. My opinion...

BensonWdby
04-20-2009, 07:45 AM
Agreed. The answer to his question is simply - You don't know him. And that doesn't always help either. I have observed that a lot of people can't even trust family and friends when it comes to paying for stuff.

If you send it without payment you will never see the money - IMHO

Dave

c.rix
04-20-2009, 10:37 AM
Be a jerk who cares? If he was planning on paying for it this wouldn't be an issue. I never trust anyone he is trying to steal it from you be aware

kaneboats
04-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Give him the opportunity to have it certified by a music store. Tell him to send the money for the certification (which he won't do and then you'll know he was full of crap all along).

Kidder
04-20-2009, 11:35 AM
Give him the opportunity to have it certified by a music store. Tell him to send the money for the certification (which he won't do and then you'll know he was full of crap all along).

I would do this, too.

Sled491
04-20-2009, 08:31 PM
Doesn't paypal offer some kind of escrow account. He could deposit the money there and after he inspects the Horn and is satisfied he just releases the funds and your done. In other words find a third party to get in the middle.

smokedog2
04-20-2009, 08:44 PM
Trust – the first person to ask for it, shouldn’t get it.

Why can’t he just trust you to return the money if he returns the tuba, you are an honest guy too!

SD2

smokedog2
04-20-2009, 08:45 PM
BTW -tryouts are why you pay retail. This is not retail this is internet.

Sled491
04-20-2009, 08:53 PM
BTW -tryouts are why you pay retail. This is not retail this is internet.

true so true

Wakeboard89
04-21-2009, 12:58 AM
Thanks everyone. I know it was kind of a buzz kill. I am just using the money to help pay for boat gas for the summer, so being impatient I want it sold. I have never sold anything online before so all the advice really helps. Hope everyone has a great beginning and rest of the season.

Shred hard..

BensonWdby
04-21-2009, 09:06 PM
We have a 'Music Go Round' store that buys used instruments. They do a lot of business on the web. There may be one in your area.
http://www.musicgoround.com